Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:03 PM

55 posts, read 296,137 times

Advertisements

First off this post is for my wife. She has been spoiled living in Hawaii past 3 years, Savannah, Ga prior to that and now Montgomery (Wetumpka actualy).

She wants to move to Florida. I told her she is nuts and dilusional. Granted my mother lives in Lakeland and I do love the things to do in Tampa. But for one the schools aren't that great four our children and two I want nothing to do with Hurricanes etc etc.

She says it will get too cold up North (haha she grew up in Ohio you'd think she likes the cold). So just how bad are the winters and how hot are the summers?

Oh how often do you get Tornadoes?

THanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Ok my spelling is horrible...sorry I guess I need to prove what I submit! Hope noone is going to grade my spelling/grammar!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiero View Post
First off this post is for my wife. She has been spoiled living in Hawaii past 3 years, Savannah, Ga prior to that and now Montgomery (Wetumpka actualy).

She wants to move to Florida. I told her she is nuts and dilusional. Granted my mother lives in Lakeland and I do love the things to do in Tampa. But for one the schools aren't that great four our children and two I want nothing to do with Hurricanes etc etc.

She says it will get too cold up North (haha she grew up in Ohio you'd think she likes the cold). So just how bad are the winters and how hot are the summers?

Oh how often do you get Tornadoes?

THanks in advance
Well, I live at the southern end of the state just one mile from the FL line and it sometimes dips into the teens here. 30's and 40's is more typical at night with 50's-70's during the day.

Upper 90's is typical for the summer with high humidity.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well, I live at the southern end of the state just one mile from the FL line and it sometimes dips into the teens here. 30's and 40's is more typical at night with 50's-70's during the day.

Upper 90's is typical for the summer with high humidity.
Oops my apologies I thought I posted this on the Huntsville-Madison-Decatur....but thanks for the information. Though I know about the weather down there. Why my wife wants to retire Enterprise/Dothan area. We even bought a 1 acre lot in Enterprise just in case!!! Our first son was born in Enterprise while I was in flight school and she fell in love with the area. I personally didn't check it out much I was too busy with school YIKES all the studying I did.

But I told her it's more of an investment because I'd probably prefer somewhere in btw Enterprise/Dothan (IF she talked me into retiring there). Just so much more to do in Dothan. Though I do love the quiet southern hospitality in Enterprise I still prefer giving Huntsville a shot first then if it works out sell that lot...if not then build there and give it a run

Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiero View Post
Oops my apologies I thought I posted this on the Huntsville-Madison-Decatur...
You did. I was just letting you know if it gets that cold down here it will get even colder in Huntsville.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You did. I was just letting you know if it gets that cold down here it will get even colder in Huntsville.
Oh ok...i gotcha I shot myself in the foot getting us stationed in Hawaii past 3 years. Why she is all about LA or Florida, Florida, Florida. She keeps trying to use fact my mother lives in Lakeland etc etc.

But the bad schools (Disclaimer..I now schools in Eglin area is top notch..so please don't be mad at me...but Polk County/Hillsborough from info/research I've gotten is your better off w/ private school) and all they "sexual offenders" in florida as awhole...not to mention hurricanes does not excite me.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:29 AM

567 posts, read 1,745,665 times
Well it got to 9 degrees and never got above freezing yesterday. It could be 55 to 70 next week. If you do not like the weather today, wait a few days it WILL change.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
It was 20 degrees F warmer in Alaska than in Alabama yesterday.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
It was in the 30s in Tampa this week, if that helps your case. It has also gotten into single digits although admittedly it isn't the norm.
Having lived in Tampa 30 years I can tell you anything you want to know about Tampa and not biased because I didn't leave there because I hated it.

It hasn't been this low here in 6 years. I agree with Sarges Dad, if you don't like it wait a few days and it will change.

Personally, I would rather deal with hurricanes than tornadoes because at least you know they are coming and have time to prepare. Of course, there can be tornadoes inside hurricanes like when Andrew hit Homestead, but most hurricanes are just wind and rain. Tampa hasn't had a direct hit since the early 1900s, although they do get rain and wind from hurricanes that hit somewhere close or ones that move across the state like Charlie. We lost power for a week during that one in 90+ degree heat.

FL schools are all graded on FCAT, which is a joke. The teachers teach only the FCAT so their students will pass and they will get money, fail the FCAT and they don't get money. All the schools have at least 30-35 students in a classroom. The only good thing about FL schools is they are no longer under desegregation orders.

Ask me anything..

Old 01-17-2009, 11:18 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,433,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarges Dad View Post
Well it got to 9 degrees and never got above freezing yesterday. It could be 55 to 70 next week. If you do not like the weather today, wait a few days it WILL change.
As a retired weatherman once said: "Welcome to North Alabama. All 4 seasons in 1 week!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area