Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times

Advertisements

Is Huntsville Boring? Not trying to be funny, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 PM

8 posts, read 24,812 times
You might get a different answer from everyone you ask, but I would say no. Huntsville has something for everyone. It's not a big city atmosphere, so some might be disappointed, but for a city this size there is a lot going on. Professionally, culturally and socially more diverse than the rest of AL.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:55 PM

346 posts, read 851,123 times
Not to me..but I'm originally from Tuscaloosa, which is smaller than Huntsville and lots less to do. Only my opinion of course, I lived there 26 years.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,788,834 times
Only boring people get bored. I sincerely believe that. Especially if they are bored in a city with a robust library system, a Broadway theater league, a performing arts center that hosts many visiting performers, hiking trails, camp sites, botanical gardens, mega bookstores, skating rinks(roller or ice), bowling alleys, lots of active places of worship, clubs, two universities, several museums, and easy access to materials for just about any sport or hobby you'd care to try.

I suppose if you are the kind of person that is bored unless someone else is actively entertaining you, you might find it boring. It's true there aren't a heap of nightclubs and entertainment venues. If you require a lot of that to keep from being bored, you could make an argument that Huntsville is boring. (But then I'd refer you to the first sentence of my post. )

Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Thta's true because I want somebody to move to Huntsville so bad so that they can get a better quality of life than what they had up North. I'm afraid if they move down here, then they will consider Huntsville boring. This person loves shopping and with all the proposed shopping centers, that part of her will be filled!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:15 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,945 times
The best option is to have them come visit for a week. There are any number of visitor pamplets available - heck, our realtor provided us with a giant "welcome to huntsville" package detailing many of the things to do.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 AM

125 posts, read 453,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
Only boring people get bored. I sincerely believe that. .

)
Respectfully disagree. Everyone needs "something" to do. Some towns simply do not provide the "something" that makes certain people tick. This something can be cultural, friendships, people, activities, hobbies, etc.

But it's gonna be different from person to person and town to town.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:23 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
Respectfully disagree. Everyone needs "something" to do. Some towns simply do not provide the "something" that makes certain people tick. This something can be cultural, friendships, people, activities, hobbies, etc.

But it's gonna be different from person to person and town to town.
There's stuff to do here but what Huntsville lacks is an environment that is conducive for young single people. Mostly everyone on this forum that's responding to this question are probably married or older you get a more valid response from a young single person thats not from the area. There aren't many young single people in Huntsville that's the point. Yes Huntsville has tons to do more than Tuscaloosa IMO but its lacking as far as entertainment, and IMO the arts are below par. The art museum is a total waste of money the worse one i've ever seen in my life.. With all that said there's a decent amount to do here, they do a bad job promoting the nice assets they have but its not the best city for a single young person especially if you are trying to meet someone here. Its been improving lately, the nightlife scene and downtown area need to be drastically improved, they need a dave and busters type place (thats planned), the outdoors, its true that its pretty good I feel like they could do even more with it, the local landowners make it hard to enjoy some of the best outdoors areas of the city sometimes. With that being said Huntsville's boring reputation is underserved there are tons of cities with much less to do than Huntsville (Tuscaloosa for one) that don't get a rep as bad as Huntsville's. My main complaints are only I wish it was more diverse, cultural, young, lively and had a better downtown.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 01-21-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
How can you be bored in Huntsville when you have City-Data to read & post all day ?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,788,834 times
I dunno, when I was young and single, I really didn't do much different than I do now, except I spent more time on hobbies & reading. At the risk of sounding like an old person (and I'm only 32), I think part of the problem with our youth is their need to constantly be fed entertainment, and fed it instantly. Most of human history people have managed to occupy themselves and live fulfilling lives without instant gratification and constant entertainment.

But to the original point, I don't think Huntsville particularly has any less of interest than any other city of it's size, does it? You might as well ask "are metro areas with populations under 500,000 boring"? At some point, if you want that kind of environment, you just need to live in a big city. You aren't going to get it for the affordable cost of living and the lack of traffic we enjoy in Huntsville. It's why people pay the big bucks to live near Los Angeles and New York. If it's worth it to you, pony up the cash and go live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area