Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
At one time, Decatur had railroad shops owned by the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, but they were closed in the 1930s. They were near the railroad yard.
Yes, the shops closed but the yard is still there and still busy...mostly used for switching. A number of employees still work there, certainly not the number that did until the 1930s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggaeBusRider View Post
I lived in decatur for 10 years and I like Huntsville better. However, I played golf at Burningtree (Indian Hills subdivision) yesterday and it is a great area. If you move to Decatur, you need to check out Indian Hills. It is on the border of Decatur and Priceville and I never knew such a nice area existed. Worth a look IMHO...
FYI most of Indian Hills is in Decatur - most, not all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 AM

252 posts, read 321,170 times
Default True Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
FYI most of Indian Hills is in Decatur - most, not all.
Geographically, Indian Hills is really Priceville IMO. Decatur is zoned almost to I-65 but Decatur "city" is 5 miles away. I guess it is all about the extra tax dollars.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 AM

No - it was about schools, back when it was annexed into the city at the residents' request. They wanted to send their kids to Decatur schools, which at the time were among the best in the state.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:13 AM

252 posts, read 321,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
No - it was about schools, back when it was annexed into the city at the residents' request. They wanted to send their kids to Decatur schools, which at the time were among the best in the state.
OOPS... I guess that backfired. I recently moved out of Decatur because of the schools and declining neighborhood.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 AM

Well, it worked at the time. That was in the 1960s, I think.
Sorry that you left.
A few of our schools have problems, but at most of them I think kids can get a good education if they're willing to do the work and their parents see to it. Too many have parents who just don't care and expect the teachers to raise their kids.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:51 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Where is the dividing line between "old" Decatur and "new" Decatur (Albany)?

Old 08-03-2013, 07:26 PM

Lee Street.
Albany was a planned community = Second Avenue was its downtown, Delano Park was all drawn in and planned the nice, wide residential streets - all planned.
Its planners planned to join with Decatur, but since the planners were yankees and the new houses were big and fine...lots of jealousy ensued.
The two towns merged about 1925. It was politically necessary to form a united front to get a bridge built across the Tennessee River, which they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area