Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:58 PM

27 posts, read 109,918 times

Advertisements

Ok- We will be moving soon! We hope to get an acceptable offer tommorrow on our house so Huntsville here we come!!

I have narrowed homes down to Hampton Cove (it would be a 30min drive for hubby to work).

Heritage Plantation/Cambridge
Highland Lakes

I know there have been past posts in this topic. But any advice is appreciated. Ideally, I want young families and friendly neighbors
I am a stay at home mom relocating so it would be great to have a place where I could meet other moms.

We started our search in the 250 range but quickly decided that wouldn't go far in the area we want. so...we have upped to 350 max! I can't believe how different the market is from here in Chattanooga!

Also, I need a somewhat flat backyard that we could fence. We have a small dog and two small kids so that is a must! Is HL hilly?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 04:56 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshields View Post
Ok- We will be moving soon! We hope to get an acceptable offer tommorrow on our house so Huntsville here we come!!

I have narrowed homes down to Hampton Cove (it would be a 30min drive for hubby to work).

Highland Lakes

I know there have been past posts in this topic. But any advice is appreciated. Ideally, I want young families and friendly neighbors
I am a stay at home mom relocating so it would be great to have a place where I could meet other moms.

We started our search in the 250 range but quickly decided that wouldn't go far in the area we want. so...we have upped to 350 max! I can't believe how different the market is from here in Chattanooga!

Also, I need a somewhat flat backyard that we could fence. We have a small dog and two small kids so that is a must! Is HL hilly?

Thanks!!
Your post is almost exactly like mine was about a year ago.

We looked at Highlands Lakes, Clifts Cove, Heritage Plantation, and Hampton Cove. Those places had homes we liked and had a community pool for our girls (9y, 7y, 5y, 15mo). They all had good schools and they all were close to jobs in Huntsville area (which isn't saying much; to me, even Tennessee is close to Huntsville).

We found Highland Lakes and Clifts Cove to be a little too hilly (or at least the homes that were for sale then; there may be some streets that aren't hilly). Heritage Plantation I think is pretty flat so you may find homes there. One thing people wrote about homes near County Line Road (Heritage Plantation) is the proximity to the approach and takeoff zones of the Huntsville Airport - and that airport is expanding more runways...something to think about, though I've never read or heard anyone complain about the noise; maybe ensure you are far enough north.

We settled on Hampton Cove because there were a lot of subdivisions in HC that are totally flat with lots of cul de sacs, though there are some hilly neighborhoods too - and also because we found a home that fit us just right, four beds up and master down. Also, Hampton Cove is really big; it is composed of 20 subdivisions. Hampton Cove is up against a bunch of green foothills (Drake Mountain for one) too so it has background scenery.

One other thing we did and I would recommend you do, when you find a candidate home, walk around the neighborhood and knock and doors and confirm with neighbors that there are lots of kids in the neighborhood.

To find homes in Hampton Cove go to www.Valleymls.com and search for homes zoned to Hampton Cove Elementary School and look for subdivisions from this set:

Hampton Cove Subdivisions

Right now, there are nice Homes for sale starting at your price range in the Cobblestone and maybe the Twelve Stones Subdivisions of Hampton Cove.

There are several other subdivisions near Hampton Cove that are zoned to Hampton Cove Elementary that you should check out too. Many of them are SW of 431 and Sutton. They have flat streets and lots of kids and community pools. They also will be attending a new elementary school in Fall 2010.

Here's a new little tool that should be helpful:

Huntsville Alabama Real Estate MLS Map Search

Old 02-12-2009, 07:00 AM

216 posts, read 580,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshields View Post

Highland Lakes

Thanks!!
You will have kids in all these neighborhoods, but you will find more properties in your price range in Hampton Cove than in Highland Lakes and Cambridge. There is currently one house under $400,000 in Cambridge and one in Highland Lakes that just came on the market yesterday at $349900. You may also consider Heritage Plantation...very family friendly neighborhood, very active HOA, lots of activities. Homes range from the high $200's up to $600's. It is a great neighborhood! Actually, Cambridge is a part of the Heritage Plantation HOA, but it is located across County Line. Waterford is also a part of Heritage Plantation, but they do have their own amenities, but have access to Heritage Plantation amenities.
You can find flat lots in Highland Lakes, but it is at the base of Rainbow Mtn. so some lots are not. Also, some parts of Hampton Cove can be a little hilly, but there are plenty of flat lots there. Cambridge and Heritage Plantation are all completely flat.
A house just came on the market in Highland Lakes in your range, but you will REALLY be limited there in your price range, as many of the homes in that price point are the garden homes.
I live off County Line, and I love it. Traffic flows nicely and it is never over congested. I actually have never noticed the noise from the planes. We considered Hampton Cove, but when we timed my husband's work commute (we drove it during morning commute time and afternoon commute time) it would have taken him about 45 minutes to get to work (Jetplex).
And, congrats on your offer! That is the biggest hurdle to overcome right now....shopping for a new home is the fun part!

Last edited by madisonmamma; 02-12-2009 at 07:21 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonmamma View Post

I live off County Line, and I love it. Traffic flows nicely and it is never over congested. I actually have never noticed the noise from the planes. We considered Hampton Cove, but when we timed my husband's work commute (we drove it during morning commute time and afternoon commute time) it would have taken him about 45 minutes to get to work (Jetplex).
Geezzz... another Boeing guy! Some of you might as well get together for lunch!

Hey MM, do you know when do they plan to start that I-656 & Countyline exit/entrance that our governer recently authorized? Also when do they expect to complete?

Hopefully Waterstone will break ground this year as well.

ps-
Regarding to the plane noise relative to the airport. For the most part the plane approaches landing from the north, so the engine is throttled down and do not pose much of noise problem.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonmamma View Post
You may also consider Heritage Plantation...very family friendly neighborhood, very active HOA, lots of activities. Homes range from the high $200's up to $600's. It is a great neighborhood! ...... Cambridge and Heritage Plantation are all completely flat.
I would encourage you to look into Woodland homes. There's a new subdivision on Countyline road as well. We went to see it the other day, their 3,500 sq. ft. model homes is priced at ~$350K and some lots come as much as 0.6 acre. Their range is from $300K (for a patio home) to $350K IIRC. I like the way they build their houses, good floor plans and lots of "upgrades" as standards.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
One thing people wrote about homes near County Line Road (Heritage Plantation) is the proximity to the approach and takeoff zones of the Huntsville Airport - and that airport is expanding more runways... something to think about, though I've never read or heard anyone complain about the noise; maybe ensure you are far enough north.
Did anyone hear that loud jet roar this morning around 8:00am? Looking at the contrails, it flew across entire Huntsville !!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 AM

447 posts, read 557,951 times
I think Rainbow Landing is worth to look too. They have so many houses on market and I heard you can really bargain a good deal.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:50 AM

Rainbow Landing has not done well, mainly due to location. Many buyers just don't like it being right there practically on 72. Not for that money.
From what I have seen and experienced, they are not willing to negotiate that much. Some, but not that much. Especially on the lower price ranges.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Geezzz... another Boeing guy! Some of you might as well get together for lunch!

Hey MM, do you know when do they plan to start that I-656 & Countyline exit/entrance that our governer recently authorized? Also when do they expect to complete?

Hopefully Waterstone will break ground this year as well.

ps-
Regarding to the plane noise relative to the airport. For the most part the plane approaches landing from the north, so the engine is throttled down and do not pose much of noise problem.
I haven't heard yet, but I can ask...we know Paul and his family. He really wants to amp up the business development in Madison, so I am sure he is full steam ahead. But the state may be a different story, they have had that money appropriated for this project for years.

From what I understand, Waterstone will wait for the 565 intersection to begin before breaking ground. I would imagine they want assurance that this project will happen before they begin development.

I can also tell you I LOVE Tommy Battle! Huntsville, you did good! I was at an event recently with Tommy Battle, and he is so impressive. That was the first time I met him, he's alot taller than I thought he would be! I was most impressed that his family and Paul Finley's came together. Finally, unity!!!

And I will tell you, the Boeing family likes to eat and eats OFTEN!!!! They have a party or luncheon for everything! We love Boeing!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I would encourage you to look into Woodland homes. There's a new subdivision on Countyline road as well. We went to see it the other day, their 3,500 sq. ft. model homes is priced at ~$350K and some lots come as much as 0.6 acre. Their range is from $300K (for a patio home) to $350K IIRC. I like the way they build their houses, good floor plans and lots of "upgrades" as standards.

And he is negotiating.........don't let him fool ya!

Last year the site agent out at Whitworth was telling all the buyers that they were going to have a pool. Someone forgot to tell Mike Friday that, because there has never been a plan for a pool.
I sold a house there in 2007, they have been very happy. But, they don't have kids and the thing they really liked about the neighborhood was that it is very quiet and not too many kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area