Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 11:00 AM

346 posts, read 850,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I'm from down that way, and I can tell you that Tuscaloosa is behind Meridian, Decatur, and Dothan on retail. Tuscaloosa's main concern is the university. Huntsville's retail market is triple that of Tuscaloosa's and Huntsville is twice the size as Tuscaloosa. We all know that Huntsville doesn't has some stores that Tuscaloosa has, but Huntsville just slaughters Tuscaloosa with national retailers.

Just a joke, but will Huntsville just finally get a Wegmen's because the DC transplants are missing it?
It's always been a college town. I didn't think we'd ever get a Target down there, much less Midtown being finished. That was about a 10 year process.

I was born and raised in Tuscaloosa and I do miss alot of the local places there, mainly food. Huntsville was a good move for us, but we kinda didn't have a choice, my hubby couldn't get work with his degree in T town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 10:37 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Thinking about some of the propsed shopping centers, I'm kind of questionable. Yeah....Yeah, I finally get. I think that Huntsville's problem with retail is that when centers get built, existing stores will move to the new centers instead of new stores that Huntsville doesn't have and can support being introduced. Huntsville has a lot of retail for its size, but it has too much of the same stores in different spots or just stores that aren't even needed here. Harris Hill is needed for the retail deprived eastern suburbs. Waterstone may or may not be needed. It is close to Bridgestreet, but it may bring stores to Huntsville that aren't here. Southchase isn't needed because it's too large, and it's too close to Bridgestreet. I think the Southchase and Waterstone plans need to be mixed together so that the main result can be one shopping center instead of 2 within 3 miles of each other. I also think that the Southchase property should house entertainment venues such as a go-kart place, a family amusement park, a city park, or even a Dave n' Busters (I know the Station is close by). Sweetwater is needed because it will bring outlet stores to the area. It will also spark growth between Decatur and Huntsville causing the two to eventually join. Constellation is needed because it will help downtown to become a main focal point in Huntsville. It will bring entertainment to the city.

I also think that the stores that Huntsville lack in addition to the stores that only have one presence and could stand 2 could actually make up a whole shopping center. If existing stores don't move from their present locations to new locations, then retail centers could do better, and this give Huntsville chances to get new stores.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:17 AM

I almost forgot. I think that it didn't make sense for Old Navy to move from University to Bridgestreet. Old Navy had a better spot because it was visible from the road and it was in front of the mall. I'm not sure about the Gap ordeal, but I feel like Gap should've stayed at Parkway Place to keep the mall's stores so that the mall won't turn into another McFarland Mall in Tuscaloosa. I'm not sure where a 2nd Gap will actually go: maybe Harris Hill or Sweetwater. More than anything, Huntsville needs to get Macy's and/or even Saks for Bridgestreet or Waterstone. Bridgestreet needs a true department store(s) anchor. I hope the department store plans for BS doesn't interfere with MS because MS isn't doing good to be a super mall. Considering MS's state, Huntsville needs to make that upscale with new upscale stores and a nice renovation inside and out. What about a Guess?, a Borders,.........an H&M? There are several stores that Huntsville can consider for MS. While we're sitting here trying to bring an Urban Outfitters to BS, we need to try to bring it to MS instead. Let's consider making MS an indoor "Summit-Birmingham." It's embarrassing going throught the largest mall in Huntsville seeing defunt and wig stores. WHAT! Huntsville, lay off the new shopping centers, mainly Southchase, and focus on breathing new life into MS and even Park Place. We can't be Atlanta, but we can strive towards being like Nashville and Birmingham.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,584,860 times
Hville will never be like Birmingham or Nashville. People who live here seem very set in their ways. Hence the new BBQ place opening in BS.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 PM

346 posts, read 850,929 times
A & M I agree, MS is starting to resemble McFarland in Tuscaloosa and that's sad. Glad Parkway Place is still pretty full with stores, but if they continue to build up Bridge Street...it could also go by the wayside in the future. While I like that Bridge Street is getting more things, I feel developers shouldn't overlook areas of town that already exist, while they are proposing new projects. I'm not sure how I feel on UO residing in Madison Square, but I feel like it would give a big anchor to Bridgestreet since it doesn't seem as if Macy's would fit in there. If UO had no choice to go in anywhere else but MS, I think it would fit in nicely in the old Steve and Barry's slot. The H and M would also be a welcome to either establishment.

When I think of Opry Mills and the Galleria being so large and then seeing Madison Square going down hill, it just makes me sad. Huntsville is equally as large in many areas as Birmingham and Nashville. Alas, what will be...will be.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:23 PM

And now they're proposing building two new large subdivisions in Huntsville when we already have too much inventory on the market. WTH?

Old 10-21-2009, 04:18 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I'm from down that way, and I can tell you that Tuscaloosa is behind Meridian, Decatur, and Dothan on retail.
Dawg, darlin,' you're crazy if you think Tuscaloosa retail is behind Decatur's. We didn't get a Target or an Old Navy or even a Starbucks until just a couple of years ago. Our mall is dying. With the opening of the "lifestyle center" across from the mall, Tuscaloosa is light years ahead of Decatur.

I think the whole retail world is changing. I hate to go into most department stores now because they are just rag stores - crammed with cheaply-made, low quality garments. Lord knows we all died a little when Parisian sold out to Belk.

People now avoid malls because they are tired of walking a long way to get to the store they want (I can't understand why Bridge Street is built that way).

I end up ordering online to get the quality and sizes I need. Online shopping is replacing on-foot shopping for many, many people.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:23 PM

I order a lot online cause I get 2x or 3x points on my AmEX card vs. shopping in store. The delivery cost is the same as the tax cost or less and I get $$ for shopping. I don't order clothes or shoes online, but I'll shop out of state for those items if necessary or hit TJMaxx/discount stores to save money.

The only time I hit dept. stores is for special occasion outfits by designers.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamachic80 View Post
A & M I agree, MS is starting to resemble McFarland in Tuscaloosa and that's sad. Glad Parkway Place is still pretty full with stores, but if they continue to build up Bridge Street...it could also go by the wayside in the future. While I like that Bridge Street is getting more things, I feel developers shouldn't overlook areas of town that already exist, while they are proposing new projects. I'm not sure how I feel on UO residing in Madison Square, but I feel like it would give a big anchor to Bridgestreet since it doesn't seem as if Macy's would fit in there. If UO had no choice to go in anywhere else but MS, I think it would fit in nicely in the old Steve and Barry's slot. The H and M would also be a welcome to either establishment.

When I think of Opry Mills and the Galleria being so large and then seeing Madison Square going down hill, it just makes me sad. Huntsville is equally as large in many areas as Birmingham and Nashville. Alas, what will be...will be.
MS will never, IDK, be like McFarland although it is heading that way. It won't be as bad.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 PM

256 posts, read 605,261 times
Actually, I agree with you A&M. Unfortunately, I don't see anything "good" or reputable or national moving into Madison Square unless they raze it. A quality store just doesn't go into a shopping mall or district on good faith -- good faith that the mall will improve. It takes a total revamp. Even a lifestyle addition wouldn't work keeping considering the quality of the current tenants. Also, unfortunately, malls are in such desperate need of maintaining lease income that they backfill with anything and renew any lease just to regain some income. MS will have to be bulldozed. The surrounding strip centers will have to be bulldozed. I think the most we can "hope" for, and I think it was mentioned here, is that the national trend of dying malls becoming mixed-use centers. A Huntsville Hospital branch moving in, for example, or a technical school/college branch moving in, a library...etc...accompanied by big-box retailers or retaining a couple of the anchors and a few specialty stores and some restaurants, and some green space..
I agree with the stores you mentioned that HSV can support very much. I don't see them, or ANYTHING reputable going into Madison Square until something drastic is done. But, regardless, the TRUTH is that is a very unattractive area in every way. It will never be the Summit. The demographics will never be there. it's a rundown stretch. yes, it used to be THE mall and part of Restaurant Row, but now it's just all yuck. And, that just can't be fixed, and you can't just plop down quality in the midst of yuck. The most we can hope for is a community mixed-use center that helps bring new life to the area. But, it will never be what it used to be and will certainly never be anything prestigious. FURTHERMORE, in many ways Madison Square's demise, while unfortunate, is "helpful". We are over-malled in some ways for a city our size -- def why we don't need any Water project. It helps concentrate or focus the retail on fewer areas. Once again, Parkway Place is still in decent condition. It's no prize, but it's certainly nothing to be ashamed of. But, it could be a lot more and has a lot fo leases to fill and has a lot of things that could be upgraded. Not that MS is a "competition" to anyone at this point, but, again, it brings more focus/attention on what can sustain success. Parkway Place SHOULD be able to get H&M, Aldo, Coach, California Pizza Kitchen, Macys...nothing extravagant, but far better than vacancies and its own wig stores.
But, you can cross Saks off your sishlist. That isn't happening here...ever. We just want/need what we have to be the most it can all be. Again, the most I think MS can ever be is a mixed-use community center -- an off-site campus, an off-site medical center, combined with some retail (but certainly nothing "upscale"), and some green space. Look around though. Do you really expect some high-end condos to be built at MS? No. Do you really expect a luxury hotel to be built at MS? No. Look around the surroundings. Nothing remotely respectable or reputable will come until it is totally revamped. it's not just about MS. It's about the whole area. It's not a simple fix.
Nashville is also a city that was once seen as overmalled. It had alot more than we do, but it's alot bigger than we are. They are being "helped" now by their dying malls converted into spaces as stated. Vanderbilt moved into one. A community college is moving into another. Plans for a library into one. it helps revitalize areas at least. It certainly doesn't make them prestigious destinations or what revitalize the original vision -- BUT it brings life to something dying and it focuses their retail on the centers that still stand a chance of making it. being overmalled is NOT a good thing in any way. Not in any way. retailers are not attracted to overmalled areas. We want to make the most of what we have. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area