Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 07:11 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,567,018 times

Advertisements

Wegman's is a family owned operation out of the NE. They expand very slowly. They don't take on unnecessary risks. I doubt they'll make it this far south. However, a TJs might work well here.

And the plethora of transplants will be more of a dribble. But keep the dream alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 07:12 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,642,812 times
Maybe someone locally could start a grocery chain better and bigger than Wegmans. That would be sweet.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:43 AM

Doubtful, but like I said, one can dream Bulldawg. Truthfully, the same issue that affects great new restaurants from coming here affects new grocery stores from coming here. I think there is an unwillingness to change or try something new (well maybe I am wrong about the restaurants--they are packed at lunchtime--amazes us. We wonder who is working? I know we are!)

Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,777,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Maybe someone locally could start a grocery chain better and bigger than Wegmans. That would be sweet.
It is virtually impossible to compete with the national chains in terms of grocery stores. You need a very large facility, with a lot of employees, an enormous amount of inventory and a small mom and pop startup place doesn't have the buying power to make it competitive. Star Market is a local grocer that does well. They've been around for enough years to have a good foothold in the market. Other than that, we visit the local specialty shops like Garden Cove, European Market, various Asian markets, farmer's market... There are independent markets, they just aren't your "one stop shop".

Old 10-23-2009, 08:34 AM

The European Market doesn't really reflect a wide European variety of foods. It seems to edge toward Eastern European and German food. I'm not all that impressed with it. I also went to some Farmer's Markets and the produce was good, but not exciting. I'd like to check out an Asian market here to see if it has a wide variety of Asian countries represented. Star Market, I believe in 5 Points, is supposed to be great for produce, but I haven't ventured out that way. I don't have time to drive all over hill and dale to grocery shop, but one day I might get there. I hear it is good for meat as well.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:43 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,777,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
The European Market doesn't really reflect a wide European variety of foods. It seems to edge toward Eastern European and German food. I'm not all that impressed with it. I also went to some Farmer's Markets and the produce was good, but not exciting. I'd like to check out an Asian market here to see if it has a wide variety of Asian countries represented. Star Market, I believe in 5 Points, is supposed to be great for produce, but I haven't ventured out that way. I don't have time to drive all over hill and dale to grocery shop, but one day I might get there. I hear it is good for meat as well.
Don't go to Star for produce, go for the meat. Garden Cove is great for produce. European Market is owned by a Russian lady, she is selling what she knows. I don't think "Eastern European Market" would have quite the same ring to it.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:46 AM

True that RNC--I am grateful to the Internet when it comes to rounding out my own European food needs and other food needs.
Where is Garden Cove located?
You're right--I remembered incorrectly about the meat--it's the meat Star is touted for as having the best. Do they also have a butcher?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:09 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,338,554 times
Lucky's is a local grocery chain. Don't know if there's one in Huntsville. Local grocery chains are out there, but they're mostly in underserved smaller towns.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:08 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,642,812 times
What's Garden Cove like? Piggly Wiggly? Winn Dixie?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:41 PM

308 posts, read 524,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
European Market is owned by a Russian lady, she is selling what she knows.
I'm a regular customer at Olga's store and very pleased with her service.
If there are products that I like, but they are not in her store, she will do her best to find them.
She wants the imput from the customers, that way she can make it a better store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area