Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 AM

16 posts, read 64,483 times

Advertisements

There is a strong possibility that my family and I (me, hubby and two toddlers) will be moving to the Huntsville area later this year, and in preparation for that I am trying to do some basic research into what is available in terms of preschool. One key issue that I have identified already, is that my daughter's birthday is on Sept. 9th, and it appears that many of the preschool programs (non-daycare/full-day) in the area follow the state's cut-off policy of September 1st for determining whether your child is eligible to join a particular age group/class.

As you can imagine, I am quite concerned that my kiddo would be held back an entire year because of the "accident" of being born 8 days too late for the state of Alabama

Has anyone else had to work through this after moving to the area? if so, what did you do? Are there specific preschools that you can identify for which this won't be an issue?

From what I can tell through just my cursory evaluation on-line, it looks like we might be limited to pursuing Montessori programs, but thought I'd toss it out there and see if anyone else has had to deal with this issue.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
The Montessori-ish Pre-K program that my daughter is in has a range - "early preschool" and preschool as well as Pre-K - presented as actual learning and life skills mixed with playtime, which when first reviewed also seemed to have an age range (two different Pre-K classes), but I have yet to determine how much of what I was told is actually how the program is currently being run - she's only been in for just over a month.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
Some private preschools will work with you because the deadline is there for age purposes (i.e., state regulations that dictate that if a child is under 3, there needs to be different accommodations - a lower ratio, etc.) So some schools will allow the child to enter mid-year after their birthday. So even at those schools (including Montessori), your child wouldn't be permitted to attend until September 9th (and school starts the first week of August here, so they'd still miss 1 month of school.) They could attend the toddler program to me, but IMO, that would just be disruptive to put them in 1 class for a month and then switch. If you wanted to go that route, I'd just keep them home for a month and then start them Sept. 9th.

In public school, the only exception to the deadline is if the child completed a year of school in a state where the state cutoff was different. For example, if your child is born October 3rd and attends Kindergarten in California where the deadline is December 1st, if they complete the year of K in Kindergarten they could attend 1st the following school year in Alabama in spite of not officially making the cuttoff date.

Quote:
As you can imagine, I am quite concerned that my kiddo would be held back an entire year because of the "accident" of being born 8 days too late for the state of Alabama.
It's not being "held back", it's just starting school at a different time. And it can really be a GOOD thing.

For all the failings of public school, early elementary is a LOT more demanding on kids than it was when we were in school. Kids are in school a full day, subject to many tedious standardized test throughout the year (even in Kindergarten), and have a more chock-full curriculum to follow. They get less recess (sometimes NO free recess, only organized PE.) This is quite an adjustment for even the brightest and most academically inclined young 5 yr old. I am particularly concerned for rambunctious boys (and girls, but especially boys). If this is the environment by which children are measured for having ADHD, it's no wonder we have an over-diagnosis of the condition!

I have been through this, as I have a daughter whose birthday is September 4th.

She is in Kindergarten this year, and I have constantly thought it to be so great that she is one of the most mature kids in her class. We moved here from California where the deadline was later, so if we hadn't moved she would have in theory been in K last year and 1st this year. That 1 year has made a huge difference for her. While I know academically she would have kept up last year, she would not have been as patient, confident, independent, or mature - and the schedule would have exhausted her. (She is out the door by 7:20 and does not get home until 3 - and her day is jam packed, not at all the gentle routine of preschool)

More and more states are re-examining their cutoff deadlines and moving them earlier - some as early as June, because it is acknowledged that the increasing demands of elementary school is really a lot of stress for a young 5 yr old.

This is to say nothing of what happens when they hit adolescence. A 12 yr old who is around 13 yr olds might find herself facing some peer pressure earlier than she'd like or is ready to deflect.

When we were still in California, I asked SO many educators about this issue, and every single one of them said it wouldn't hurt to wait a year. As one educator put it, "it's giving your child the gift of time." I was relieved when I moved to Alabama and I saw the deadline was September 1st - that we could wait a year without me having to defend my actions to anyone.

Anyways, that's something to deal with later - preschool is an independent issue from public school, but looking at the long-term picture, hopefully you can see that the September deadline in relation to your child's birthday is not really a bad thing. And it is something to keep in mind, because if your child will attend public elementary eventually, you may be put in the awkward position of having them do 3 years of preschool (which would be absolutely no problem in a very flexible program like Montessori, but some of the more traditional preschools, it would be a bit repetitive for 3 years.)

If you are hell-bent on getting them in elementary as early as possible you *might* be able to make a case if you sent them to Montessori for 3 years (where the 3rd year of preprimary is actually Kindergarten.)

Last edited by zenjenn; 02-19-2009 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 04:08 PM

16 posts, read 64,483 times
33458 --- if you don't mind sharing, in which preschool program is your child enrolled? Thx.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:46 PM

Am I allowed to say that here?

Premier Schools - they have two locations. Sweet Pea is in the CRP Pre-K program. (Just turned 5 at the very end of January.)

There's another school right across the street with a similar ideology.

We were looking for a flexible schedule to match husband's morning work hours, daughter's needs and a secular environment. So far, so good.

Now back to making home made Mac & Cheese...I'm teaching Mo, my little chef, how.

Last edited by 33458; 02-19-2009 at 04:59 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 AM

133 posts, read 534,402 times
ZenJenn raises some excellent points. Food for thought : our now adult son started school very young, while we were stationed in Hi. He was so smart , could ready early, etc etc. I took a course designed for Moms to decide if their child was ready to start school, I think it was held at the local YMCA. At the time, I compared him in my head to kids in the neighborhood who would be starting, whose birthdays happened to be in July. I thought, "oh wow, he is going to do great".
Let me say from experience, that emotional maturity needs to be considered, perhaps especially in boys. The difference in my son's age became quite apparent in middle and highschool. Not only that, some kids were quite a bit older than him, depending on their birthdates !
Intellectually, he excelled, was in TAG and always in advanced classes. But I saw the struggle in alot of other ways. If I could go back, I wouldnt have let him start that year. It doesnt hurt to put it off, its not like the kids know.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:51 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,221 times
ZennJenn, your post is so wonderfully written and so enlightening. Two of my girls have birthdays on October 3rd and October11th respectively, and when I moved here I was concerned that they would have to "endure" yet another year of preschool due to the later cut off. Now, as you so eloquently state, I realize how grateful I am to give them the "gift" of time. I think they will fare so much better having another year to grow and mature emotionally, physically and intellectually. My oldest started Kindergarten as a young 5 year old (birthdyay is August 9th) and I definitely think that she struggled in many ways being one of the youngest, and would have benefited tremendously from having waited one more year to enter Kindergarten. Thank you so much for your wonderful insight!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:38 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,488 times
I just spent the last 35 minutes telling you my experiences with my son the preemie only to have my post erased when I went to post.The bottom-line, listen to ZennJenn, she knows what she is talking about.My son started kinder this year, we pulled him and he will start next year when he is more ready, the long days are way too much and they begin missing too much. If you look at statistics, the top 10% of HS graduating classes tend to be the older students of their grade level, so much so that some parents are intentionally holding their children back even if they qualify to start earlier.Enjoy the last year you have with her and relax, it will work out!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 AM

956 posts, read 2,499,901 times
I agree with Tammie2 and ZennJenn. My daughter was on the cusp as well. I enrolled her in kindergarten and at then decided to wait another year. She was not focused when they did the testing and I was so concerned that she would not be able to pay attention. She is now one of the older kids in her class, but has always tested higher than most. I just felt she wasn't ready at the time. I have no regrets at all and it was the best decision for her at the time. Each child is different and mine wasn't ready

Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM

Yes - I agree with Jenn as she explains no harm, no foul.

I went against the grain and kept my daughter out of the institutionalized setting until now because we had needs to be met and I felt I was the best one to meet them...while logically somewhat mature for her age, emotionally she was overly sensitive and had a few other issues that made the idea of full immersion inappropriate. So while everyone else I knew had their child in a dayschool/preschool/preK, mine was home with me. I have kept her at speed and her learning is equal to most other children her age.
My concern though, because of our situation, was that she needed the socializing that comes with an early start program, so we sought out a school that was willing to have her attend only two 'full' days a week with flex time - and even then, I pick her up an hour early, because that is a long stretch for her. They are obliging and Mo is enjoying both the interaction with the other kids her age (even coping well with a boy that likes to bother her) and even more the idea that she is a "big girl in school", all without being overwhelmed.

Public Kindergarten is going to be interesting - while considering her maturity, she will be 5 upon enrollment this summer (once we figure out where we can place her) turning 6 that winter...I will pay close attention to how she adjusts and where there might be problems. It isn't like it was when we were kids...the homework load is...well...quite a bit more than what I remember having to do at that age. If it is too much I have no qualms with starting her 'later' in the year - as long as I am able to.

Last edited by 33458; 02-20-2009 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Wow...I CAN NOT write today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area