Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,404,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
She being KE111691's cousin, I'd say we'll start salary negotiation at $60K

OUCH!!

I usually don't post personal comments but this was too funny answer to pass up.
Sorry KE, next time I'll refrain myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
I was a recruiter in my pc(pre children) life, ...
Oh you alpha-female who don't take "no" for an answer, aggressive take-charge, take no-prisoner, go-in-for-a-kill, person!

Quote:
The biggest thing is that engineers and job fairs don't mix. .....MOST engineers will avoid social situations like the plague, especially ones that involve nothing but strangers.
That's so true. Engineers wants a 'sure' thing. You don't find them spending money buying lottery tickets often. The only job fair that I have had success are the ones that I sent in my resume ahead of time and got a call to ask me specifically to come in for an interview. Otherwise, the employers are just fishing & collecting resumes, etc.

So, if you're plannning a social event and wonder how to get more of your engineer friends to turn out. Have a "purpose" for this event, like meeting a key figure, discuss some geeky stuffs, want their 'ideas', etc.

Quote:
Secondary is that engineers tend to be more loyal(almost to a fault). They are less likely to change jobs until they are forced to. My experience has been that calling an engineer and trying to convince them to switch to another position is more difficult than pulling teeth-even when you are offering more money, better benefits....It can be done, but it tends to be more time consuming. You are more likely to be heard with electrical and mechanical than any other type of engineer...don't know why, just the personalities that are attracted to each position I am sure.

Just my 2 cents YMMV
Well yeah, those electrical & mechanical types have no loyalty!

Being an engineer myself, I can tell you that most engineers are prima-donnas (just see how many actually makes coffees at work). We're not interested in bigger offices or more money (oh how we despite money! ). Just give us interesting problems to solve, a 'perceived' higher responsibility relative to our peers, a sense of self-importance, and we will work late into the evenings and weekends without the overtime pay just so we get a sense of self-gratification.

So if you're ever back to recruiting engineers again, the key is to have very important projects relative to their fields/industry/ interests (some like to develop new things - these are a different breed of engineers), impress them with amount of technical responsibility that they will have, keywords such as lead/chief engineer, advising senior leadership with technical direction, etc.... No need for company cars, expense account, big offices and fancy titles.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:58 AM

692 posts, read 1,495,021 times
Quote:
Oh you alpha-female who don't take "no" for an answer, aggressive take-charge, take no-prisoner, go-in-for-a-kill, person!
Guilty

You can only imagine how much fun my house is.

Quote:
Being an engineer myself, I can tell you that most engineers are prima-donnas (just see how many actually makes coffees at work). We're not interested in bigger offices or more money (oh how we despite money! ). Just give us interesting problems to solve, a 'perceived' higher responsibility relative to our peers, a sense of self-importance, and we will work late into the evenings and weekends without the overtime pay just so we get a sense of self-gratification.

So if you're ever back to recruiting engineers again, the key is to have very important projects relative to their fields/industry/ interests (some like to develop new things - these are a different breed of engineers), impress them with amount of technical responsibility that they will have, keywords such as lead/chief engineer, advising senior leadership with technical direction, etc.... No need for company cars, expense account, big offices and fancy titles.
Plus bigger and better toys to play with.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 PM

59 posts, read 176,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkratze1 View Post
Anyone go to the NG job fair? Just wondering how the turnout was.

My hubby went too, as he was carpooling with a friend who wanted to go. He said there were tons of people there, and his friend was back in the back for HOURS. Finally the NG employees up front took pity on him and got the friend's interview process expedited, so no telling when the poor jobhunters finally got to leave.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,404,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeful dreamer View Post
My hubby went too, as he was carpooling with a friend who wanted to go. He said there were tons of people there, and his friend was back in the back for HOURS. Finally the NG employees up front took pity on him and got the friend's interview process expedited, so no telling when the poor jobhunters finally got to leave.
hubby went the first day (Tuesday), when they opened, around 5pm, that's why he reported a lesser number.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM

59 posts, read 176,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
hubby went the first day (Tuesday), when they opened, around 5pm, that's why he reported a lesser number.
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that they got there around 6 on Tuesday. Guess it pays to hit these things early!

And by the way, thanks HB2HSV for posting these events as they come up! That was how we found out about the one at which DH got his new job. We owe you!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:12 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeful dreamer View Post
And by the way, thanks HB2HSV for posting these events as they come up! That was how we found out about the one at which DH got his new job. We owe you!
You're very welcome. Glad that it helped someone

Old 03-05-2009, 08:08 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
Default No You Didn't!

Quote:
You are so foolish! I'm not even going to get mad; I'm going to tell her to look at your post!

I hope no engineer gets paid that if they have a lot of experience; my cousin has a lot of experience: 8 years!

Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
You are so foolish! I'm not even going to get mad; I'm going to tell her to look at your post!

I hope no engineer gets paid that if they have a lot of experience; my cousin has a lot of experience: 8 years!
Here's a guestimate: Salary for engineers working in one of Huntsville main industries (with a clearance) with eight years of experience is probably in the neighborhood of around $85K.

A colleague of mine once told me in half jest that 30% percent of your salary is your clearance.

Sort of makes sense because for jobs not requiring a clearance, your boss can always hire one of these dudes:

(image not protected by copyright)
http://www.shreeji-group.com/images/group_50_new.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-06-2009, 03:30 PM

80 posts, read 191,485 times
Default 8-10 Experience Engineer

Quote:
1. You have to qualify what kind of engineer.
- This determines the law of supply and demand. Certain fields are a dime a dozen ... certain fields are not.

2. Specific experience in certain applications
- Experience in certain ERP apps = higher pay

3.Certifications play a major role for some companies

4. Lastly - what field / industry is doing the hiring?

Typically - for an engineer with 8-10 years, commendable certifications, experience in certain ERP apps etc ... you are looking at 110-120K in this environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area