Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:04 PM

567 posts, read 1,744,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie67 View Post
I am looking to make new friends in the Huntsville Madison co area.
I am a stay at home mom and have tried to make friends in church but the churches here are so large that it is difficult.I am starting to feel blue.
I am 41 and a christian.I am a mom of 5 the last child is the one that
keeps me on my toes,just trying to keep him from climbing on top of the house.I do not go out much because all I do is chase him and I would really
like to be able to make friends that I can just have cofee with and email.
My childhood friend lives in Atlanta so I feel pretty lonely here.
I feel like the old lady who lived in the shoe.
Have you tried Sunday School. With large Churches most fellowship is focused on in Sunday school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 PM

8 posts, read 17,831 times
I have a very difficult time trying to get my kids ready and get my husband off of his rump
on Sunday mornings.I try to make it to the 11:00 service.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:43 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
HB2HSV: I love your idea of a get together for city data members. That would be SO much fun. Putting faces with names. I'm sure we are all dying to meet Charles Maybe he'll host it, lol.
I think most will show up just to meet Charles! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'd be for a meet up.

We tried to do this on the Colorado Springs forum. It failed like a lead zeppelin. My guess is that, for a lot of people, CD forums are an outlet for people who might otherwise be shy, non-social, and introverted. Forums are anonymous; there is protection.
Well yeah... anonymity could be important, so if everyone agree no posting of pics on C-D forum, then we may get a higher turnouts.

Quote:
A good place would be Monte Sano State Park picnic area. There are benches/tables, grills, a field, real restrooms, and a playground. Its about $3/person. There are also lots of geocaches if anyone has a handheld GPS.

A sit down restaurant or happy hour is great if nobody brings kids but (and I know personally some of the posters on this forum) there are a lot of people here with kids. It would be tough for us.
Considering many families have kids, I think the Monte Sano picnic is a great idea. This will offer a chance for kids to meet & play with each other, and parents get supports from each other.

Quote:
A good time would be early on a Sunday afternoon. A lot of people have stuff to do on Saturdays and a lot of people are busy on Sunday mornings so early Sunday afternoon would work because it is still light and warm. Bring charcoal and grill dogs and bird and potluck and it will be fun.

So, if this is a good plan, and this weekend is too early and eliminate easter Sunday and the Sundays of spring break (a lot of people will be out of town) we have March 8th, 29th, and April 5th and April 12th looking ahead two months.

If we end up making a poll on this, we might want to poll for dates people can not make it so hopefully there is one day that no one picks.
Good idea, Charles. Why don't you set up the poll and I will support you in whatever capacity needed.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:43 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
There is no anonymity. Apparently a few of my "real life" Huntsville friends have either lurked or stumbled across this board and have read my posts. They they ask me "Uhm... are you, by chance.. zenjenn?"

Gosh, I hope I haven't posted too much to embarrass myself.

I'd do a Monte Sano meet.. let's wait til it warms up a little first.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
IRL

Free the Hops is hosting a Beer tasting / legislative Blastoff Saturday February 28 at Lowe Mill, 2211 Seminole Drive.

Live Music, Free Beer, 21 and over.

Donations appreciated, the money used for lobbying the legislature for the Gourmet Beer Bill.

Beer sponsors include Olde Towne, Terrapin, Yazoo, Lazy Magnolia, Oskar Blues, Sam Adams, Great Divide, Flying Dog, and Rogue.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,377 times
Sign me up for the Monte Sano meet.

... and Bamachic, I'm going to mention that site to the wifey.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:15 AM

5 posts, read 7,678 times
What part of town do you live in? I feel the same sometimes...I am from the Southwest (New Mexico)

Old 02-27-2009, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 16,304 times
Default friendship

If you live in the Madison area, you need to try Grace Presbyterian Church. It is a small congregation, and very friendly. There are young families with all age groups of children. I think you will be pleased.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:01 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
People in Huntsville are very friendly, so you will be fine! Trust me!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
HB2HSV: I love your idea of a get together for city data members. That would be SO much fun. Putting faces with names. I'm sure we are all dying to meet Charles Maybe he'll host it, lol.
His house is certainly big enough...

:P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area