Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:05 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,903,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
Thanks mm42! I appreciate it! You just made my night I don't mind sharing any info I have. That's what we are all here for!
I'd tell ya... a little bit of shameless flattery goes a long ways

edit - I was going to follow up my comment with how I enjoy Elizabeth_G's blogs but that would only make me fall into that category of shamless flattery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 07:31 AM

369 posts, read 1,143,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkovacs View Post
I live in McMullen Cove and bought last fall. You didn't list my home so there has to be 3 sold!!!!
McMullen Cove is definitely a very nice place, they just had some unfortunate timing.

The thing is, they have something like 900 homes left to build the place out, so at 3 per year, that comes to ... 300 years! A development of that size should be selling 60-70 homes a year to be viable.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
McMullen Cove is definitely a very nice place, they just had some unfortunate timing.

The thing is, they have something like 900 homes left to build the place out, so at 3 per year, that comes to ... 300 years! A development of that size should be selling 60-70 homes a year to be viable.
Well that just means the existing homeowners get to enjoy the wide open views

Old 03-07-2009, 08:11 PM

13 posts, read 46,445 times
Yes!!! We do enjoy the open views!!!!! Seriously, it is bad timing and it will pick up. We made the decision in spite of reservations about buying in any neighborhood not developed because of the history of the developer. They are well known and reputable. They did Hampton Cove and we know that for a long time, everyone laughed at the idea of Hampton Cove and look at the area now!!! The vision for the developement is great and we bought into the green space and trails.Also, my home is small but unique and I like that. So I can live with the turkeys and deer and the herons along Blue Bell Creek for a long time.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,582,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkovacs View Post
Seriously, it is bad timing and it will pick up.

We made the decision in spite of reservations about buying in any neighborhood not developed because of the history of the developer. They are well known and reputable.

They did Hampton Cove and we know that for a long time, everyone laughed at the idea of Hampton Cove and look at the area now!!!
I hope it picks up (for your sake and everyone else's sake too).

Quote:
There are 19 active listings in McMullen Cove ...Only 2 have sold since March '08.
A good developer is good, but how much can reputation and quality overcome economic realities?

Hampton Cove was developed from the mid 1990s and is just about built out. Its growth was coincident with the real estate run up across the country.
"Records show almost 22,000 houses have been built in Madison County since early 1995, with the biggest clusters in Madison, Harvest-Monrovia, Hampton Cove, Big Cove and Riverton. "
from

Big building boom looks unstoppable

Last edited by Charles; 03-08-2009 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 PM

369 posts, read 1,143,101 times
Quote:
The price per square foot on that home was a whopping $247 a foot. WOW. That must have been some home
I'll bet the Ledges can top that, but it is pretty amazing for Gurley.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,582,688 times
"Developers in Huntsville, Ala., where building permits for apartments jumped 400% this year, have reason to be more confident. Huntsville's economy, bolstered by a growing job base at Redstone Arsenal and the U.S. Space & Rocket Center, is one of the best in the country. "It's a really good place for builders to be," says Buck Barnhill, owner of Southern Exposure Information, a publisher of Alabama construction and market reports. "If you came to Huntsville, you wouldn't even know there was a problem in the U.S. Construction crews are everywhere. They're building hotels, the downtown is being renovated, and new schools are being built."

A recovery in the new-home market also could give the area a further boost, says builder Mark Harris, since newcomers might need to sell homes elsewhere before they can buy one in Huntsville. "As the national real estate market picks up, ours picks up," he says. "

from

Hope for Home Builders? - BusinessWeek

Old 09-18-2009, 07:28 AM

An interesting phenomena here (from my personal unofficial observation) is that often new home prices can be lower than existing resales. Back in California where new home prices can be anywhere from 50% ~ 100% higher, this is a puzzling trend here.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:29 AM

692 posts, read 1,498,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
An interesting phenomena here (from my personal unofficial observation) is that often new home prices can be lower than existing resales. Back in California where new home prices can be anywhere from 50% ~ 100% higher, this is a puzzling trend here.

My observation on that one is that home prices hit their peak a few years back. The developers were making record profits and now those people are trying to get back what they paid while the developers are able to cut their margins to move homes.

I also think some builders will go the basic house route to appear lower in price. This was the trend for some time in the Chicago area. I remember seeing prices that seemed low and checking out the models to be nosy, oh, you want air conditioning, $5,000, you want a back door? $3000. Oh, you expect counter tops, $8000.

This works for some as I had a girlfriend who went that route and saved $30,000, but it definitly can be deceiving for those of us that are used to living in finished homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area