Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times

Advertisements

Ok, so the new Madison City School (MCS) zoning map is out (the street listing will be out soon, too).

How long will it be before we see the NAMLS updated with that info?

And a personal question to the NAMLS insiders/members on this forum: In my house search, I've seen listings assigned to the wrong school (mainly elementary). E.g. a house zoned for Heritage was listed in Horizon's (I am talking the old zoning, 2005, not today's, but it so was grossly inaccurate, like miles away from the school boundary ).
How accurate is the school zone info on MLS? Percentage-wise, 90-95%? I mean, that is my main criteria (price secondly) to narrow down, and I wouldn't mind a 90% accuracy, but less than that may be turning annoying and time consumming for myself to check and fix.

Ok, I lied, I have another question for NAMLS realtors: does the database have a search by the age of the house, not necessarily the exact number, but ranges, the way it currently shows when you zoom in on a specific listing. I would like to be able to pull all the houses within a school zone, no more than this $$$price, and no older than this years. Is that currently possible? (for a realtor member with a login)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM

216 posts, read 580,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
Ok, so the new Madison City School (MCS) zoning map is out (the street listing will be out soon, too).

How long will it be before we see the NAMLS updated with that info?

And a personal question to the NAMLS insiders/members on this forum: In my house search, I've seen listings assigned to the wrong school (mainly elementary). E.g. a house zoned for Heritage was listed in Horizon's (I am talking the old zoning, 2005, not today's, but it so was grossly inaccurate, like miles away from the school boundary ).
How accurate is the school zone info on MLS? Percentage-wise, 90-95%? I mean, that is my main criteria (price secondly) to narrow down, and I wouldn't mind a 90% accuracy, but less than that may be turning annoying and time consumming for myself to check and fix.

Ok, I lied, I have another question for NAMLS realtors: does the database have a search by the age of the house, not necessarily the exact number, but ranges, the way it currently shows when you zoom in on a specific listing. I would like to be able to pull all the houses within a school zone, no more than this $$$price, and no older than this years. Is that currently possible? (for a realtor member with a login)

Thanks

As far as new schools zone, when it is actually voted on and becomes "official", then agents will be responsible to go in and change their listings to reflect the new school zones. Expect to have to verify everything. We police each other on the listings...we have a link on the listing to report to NALMLS any incorrect or rule violations. They then notify the listing agent about the correction.

As far as incorrect listings, many agent simply clone the last listing, so it could reflect a old school zone. We see this a lot with Heritage/Columbia because a lot of Heritage kids were rezoned for Columbia. Again, VERIFY it before you submit an offer...it only takes a minute to call the school board to verify that information. It all falls under buyer beware. I would say accuracy in school zone info is about 90%.

Yes, we search by age ranges, proposed construction (thankfully just added), new construction, ect. School zones are also a criteria we often use. We can get extremely specific in searching the listings, from construction, acreage, style of home, number of rooms, rooms on what level, substructure, ect. However, we are at the mercy of the listing agents that they have put all that info in the listings. Many don't put room dimensions, the level the room is on, ect. Also, information in the listings can be inaccurate. Again, it is up to the listing agent to put in correct and accurate information and up to all the other agents to notify NALMLS when they find errors.

It is important to remember that just because it is stated in the listing, does not necessarily mean it is fact. All information that is important to you must be verified.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:41 PM

956 posts, read 2,499,901 times
The school board is hoping to have the street listings available online by Friday morning. I'd say it is safe to assume Valley MLS will pick those up then and make them available shortly thereafter in the search criteria.
There is a town hall meeting March 12th at 6:00 pm at Bob Jones High School to discuss the rezoning of schools. You may want to attend. I think it will be very informative.

As for listings not having the correct info, we do our best. When we do see it, we report it directly to the board. I think most are fairly accurate, but always double check.

Realtors can search by age, but I didn't see that function available on ValleyMls.
Hope this answers your questions

Old 03-04-2009, 01:44 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Ask the school system to verify your potential purchase is in the desired school zone. Don't rely on a phone call alone; ask them to give it to you in writing and make your offer contingent on the house being in the desired school zone. I've been there, and been stung by both the realtor and the Huntsville City Schools Central Office staff. If you have a problem with the school system honoring your request, go to the elected school board member for that area and ask them for assistance in obtaining the information.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:01 PM

216 posts, read 580,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
The school board is hoping to have the street listings available online by Friday morning. I'd say it is safe to assume Valley MLS will pick those up then and make them available shortly thereafter in the search criteria.
There is a town hall meeting March 12th at 6:00 pm at Bob Jones High School to discuss the rezoning of schools. You may want to attend. I think it will be very informative.

As for listings not having the correct info, we do our best. When we do see it, we report it directly to the board. I think most are fairly accurate, but always double check.

Realtors can search by age, but I didn't see that function available on ValleyMls.
Hope this answers your questions
The MLS committee cannot update the listings...it is the responsibility of the listing agents to correct their listings with any changes pertaining to the school zones. The MLS committee cannot broker load info for an agent. All that can be done is notifications sent and, if necessary, fines assessed. As an agent updates a listing, it will change in Valley and Realtor.com, as our MLS feeds into those two public databases.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:18 PM

956 posts, read 2,499,901 times
Correct, Madisonmamma....what I didn't clarify was the fact that the new elementary school isn't even in our search criteria yet. Should have gone further in depth The board will be adding that by Friday, according to Rhonda.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM

86 posts, read 186,711 times
La critique assez banale d'un poster humain à un autre ?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:05 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
If the agent submits the wrong info, that's how it appears. I doubt there is anybody checking up on the info. I often seen Huntsville agents list Decatur houses under the wrong elementary school - even one that doesn't exist anymore. E-mail the agent and tell them the info is wrong. Although when I do that, I usually get a smarta** reply and nothing is changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area