Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,585,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
Really? So where is the government office space where you want to seat them? What building? How many seats are there?

Anyone who has been paying attention understands that very few moves were planned for this year. AMC has no building and MDA filled up VBII last year.

In your perusal of this thread, you apparently missed the pretty picture that Charles posted:

The little red bars depict planned moves by year. See how tiny the one for 2009 is? Can you guess why they didn't plan to move much of anyone this year? If you guessed "They didn't have enough office space.", you guessed right.
I find this and all your posts insulting and totally not productive or inspiring to our discussion. I find your posts in general very demeaning to the majority of the posters. And I find that you are quite unwilling to look at the big picture.

And, once again, I believe you deliberately ignore the OP's post which was about REAL ESTATE, not OFFICE SPACE. Granted, Charles' post was rather illuminating, but I know of plenty of relocating BRAC/MDA people who are making do with what is available at this time.

Does the lack of office space make it more difficult for people/workers to rel here? According to the Pretty Pic, yea... the way it is interpreted by you. But the truth is, most NoVA people WHO HAVE A CHOICE AND/OR ARE NEAR RETIREMENT will not come here regardless of whether or not there is office space.

And that brings ME back to YOUR original posts about NEWBIE engineers, interns, new hires with no experience coming into fill those spaces. And guess what? Those dude/dudettes won't care if they are in cubicles like the big wigs coming down from DC will....

And then there are real experts who know the size of the office doesn't reflect the measure of their expertise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:21 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
And, once again, I believe you deliberately ignore the OP's post which was about REAL ESTATE, not OFFICE SPACE.
If you will review the original poster's article you will see that it references an article in the newspaper. If you haven't read that article, you are completely missing the context of my reply, Charles' reply, and the replies of many other people in this thread.

You should really tone down the personal garbage and focus on the discussion at hand. If you feel that my postings are not relevant, it would be better to ignore them rather than try to pick a fight. Certainly digging up an old post of mine from 5 months ago just to try to stir up more trouble is not productive. You are not the relevance police.

You say that office space is not the issue - so where is the empty office space? And why didn't the government plan to move anyone this year? If you can't answer those questions, you really have no basis to make ridiculous assertions that office space is not the issue.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,414 times
Quote:
I notice that you mention Hville schools here, but not in the prior post. So were Madison City Schools considered in a diff lite?
I said Madison schools to save space on CD server, but I meant all the schools in the area where NoVA guys and gals would consider moving, sort of "them" schools there and our schools here - the object of some of BRAC people's contention.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
If you will review the original poster's article you will see that it references an article in the newspaper. If you haven't read that article, you are completely missing the context of my reply, Charles' reply, and the replies of many other people in this thread.

You should really tone down the personal garbage and focus on the discussion at hand. If you feel that my postings are not relevant, it would be better to ignore them rather than try to pick a fight. Certainly digging up an old post of mine from 5 months ago just to try to stir up more trouble is not productive. You are not the relevance police.

You say that office space is not the issue - so where is the empty office space? And why didn't the government plan to move anyone this year? If you can't answer those questions, you really have no basis to make ridiculous assertions that office space is not the issue.
The OP did not post the link to the article. I will read try to find it and read it thoroughly now but as I read his/her post I read only a reference to Real Estate. I will qualify later. I do receive the local paper on a daily delivery. Have checked it twice for the info--after perusing it this morning--if YOU MM42 have a PAGE to send me to or a link, go for it. I'm sure you're the "expert" on the news, too.

In addition, if you would READ MY POST, you would know I never asserted that there was empty office space. Perhaps YOU SHOUDL READ yourself... and make your posts MORE RELEVANT.

And if anyone is picking a fight, it is you mm42. I have no idea why other than you feel threatened by a "mama"....

Or you just have to be "right" regardless of who you insult.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 PM

And mm42, you always sidestep logical debate with insults... why? Do you really want a REAL discussion or are you only trying to FLAME the poster's thread? I haven't read a single post by you that addresses the OP's question directly and/or hasn't been a direct insult to someone-- not just me--anyone you deem lower than you intellectually. But you underestimate so much.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,945 times
1) By the looks of this thread, it appears poor condescending attitudes aren't exclusive to the DC area.

2) Being I came from the DC area - I can say with confidence that most wouldn't want to move here. When I announced that I was moving to AL, you'd think I just announced that I had cancer. Virtually everyone had the same response: Alabama!? Of all places, why Alabama!?? It takes a LOT to get over perception. Friends of mine from NoVA came to visit a few months back, and all they could talk about was how much "ghetto" there was (highly visible subsidized housing off University, near downtown, and elsewhere) and how overloaded the area was with above ground powerlines (but hey, its is). It is what it is - most folks in NoVA would prefer to stay in NoVA vs moving to anywhere in AL. Though they complain incessantly about NoVA, the perception is that anywhere AL is worse. Is office space a limitation... maybe, but then, DC area employees are used to being crammed in like sardines. My building in NoVA ran out of space and shortly thereafter the company decided to consolidate offices. They moved a large portion of a group from another building into our already at capacity building by rearranging the cubes, sharing offices and shrinking "corridors". If they really want to move people in, in my experience, they'll find room.

3) This thread is an example of why I think after a certain period of time people should just start a new thread versus resurrect an old one.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Here is YOUR REVIEW of the original poster's thread post:

BRAC movement is being affected by the economy. What does this mean for local real estate?

The OP is asking about local real estate... not office space. And I am beginning to wonder if you sell real estate on the side cause me thinks you protest too much....

Old 08-14-2009, 09:34 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,215 times
Quote:
The OP did not post the link to the article. I will read try to find it and read it thoroughly now but as I read his/her post I read only a reference to Real Estate. I will qualify later. I do receive the local paper on a daily delivery. Have checked it twice for the info--after perusing it this morning--
I really think it would be a better reflection on you if you would try to keep a civil tone and avoid all the personal stuff. A little self control can go a long way.

This thread was started last March, so looking in today's paper is not going to work.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
1) By the looks of this thread, it appears poor condescending attitudes aren't exclusive to the DC area.

2) Being I came from the DC area - I can say with confidence that most wouldn't want to move here. When I announced that I was moving to AL, you'd think I just announced that I had cancer. Virtually everyone had the same response: Alabama!? Of all places, why Alabama!?? It takes a LOT to get over perception. Friends of mine from NoVA came to visit a few months back, and all they could talk about was how much "ghetto" there was (highly visible subsidized housing off University, near downtown, and elsewhere) and how overloaded the area was with above ground powerlines (but hey, its is). It is what it is - most folks in NoVA would prefer to stay in NoVA vs moving to anywhere in AL. Though they complain incessantly about NoVA, the perception is that anywhere AL is worse. Is office space a limitation... maybe, but then, DC area employees are used to being crammed in like sardines. My building in NoVA ran out of space and shortly thereafter the company decided to consolidate offices. They moved a large portion of a group from another building into our already at capacity building by rearranging the cubes, sharing offices and shrinking "corridors". If they really want to move people in, in my experience, they'll find room.

3) This thread is an example of why I think after a certain period of time people should just start a new thread versus resurrect an old one.
So the original article was NOT TODAY as I gathered after reading through the local paper again.

And I guess this is just some posters' ways of trying to retread old news.

Then I forgive myself for missing the article mm42 so sarcastically and insultingly referred to in the post to me. Wow, how cheap...

And you are right about limited office space in DC. That's why we're here. The Naval Annex is getting torn down for Arlington Cemetery. And then there is the whole national security issue. Most office buildings in Crystal City aren't secure by the gov't.

For those of you posting who weren't there, we were. And 9/11 changed where we could put our folks in DC.

I have pictures from an expert's office... of a hole in the pentagon caused by the terrorists on 9/11. Now that office is gone: it had made way for the air force memorial.

Never forget.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:42 PM

976 posts, read 2,683,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post

When I was a kid I use to go to North Carolina(Charlotte) and people thought I was from the worse place in the world and that was North Carolina the south.So can imagine how someone from DC would feel. But the southeast has seen the biggest population increase than any other region in the nation.Alabama has seen a population increase so one day we will be hip like Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area