Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:22 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Why would people from other places in the South or Midwest find Huntsville cheap? I would say it is on par with the cities that are doing well in the region. Huntsville has reasonable housing, cheap property taxes, lower than average utilities, services are cheaper than most (daycare, lawn, housekeepers...). I don't know what makes Huntsville more expensive than you would expect.

To the poster that said there seems to be expensive areas and cheap areas and nothing in between... What about Monrovia, Harvest, NE Madison County, NE Huntsville, even the older parts of Madison? The fact is that a middle class family can own a decent home here in an area that has good schools without going broke to do it. A younger friend of mine bought a starter home off of Slaughter in Madison. About 1300sqft with a big yard, close to the Indian Creek Greenway, right next to the Research Park...he paid $125K for it and it isn't in bad shape at all. Can you do that in Blossomwood or Jones Valley? Probably not, but there is plenty of middle class housing in nice areas here. Younger, middle class families don't have that option in NoVA or many other parts of the country. And if they do swing it, they are stretched severely by their mortgage and probably have an hour + commute everyday.
But what are the schools like? I think that affects what drives many of us in our purchases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 04:37 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Please keep this about the original topic.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:24 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
We were really surprised that the COL was as high as it is... I was expecting it to be a lot lower.
The official BRAC stance was an expectation of substantial cost-of-living savings between DC and Huntsville:

Quote:
According to the CNN cost of living calculator (Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com) if you move from the Washington area to Huntsville, AL your living expenses in 2005 decrease to include groceries (- 25%), utilities (-8%), healthcare (-38%) and housing (-62%).

BRAC Info

It doesn't sound like you feel you have realized anywhere near those figures.

I have considered relocating to DC a couple of times, and based on my research at the time I would have easily believed the real estate cost difference figures.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:12 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
But what are the schools like? I think that affects what drives many of us in our purchases.
The only "iffy" area for schools in that list IMO is NE Huntsville that feeds into Lee High. The rest feed into either Bob Jones, Sparkman, Madison Co or Buckhorn.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
The only "iffy" area for schools in that list IMO is NE Huntsville that feeds into Lee High. The rest feed into either Bob Jones, Sparkman, Madison Co or Buckhorn.

Butler too- the schools that feed into B. Area west of Parkway, from Governors and Parkway all the way up to Pulasky and beyond, what makes that, NW?

Old 08-17-2009, 01:45 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
Having moved here from DC a year ago and having returned several times for business and personal reasons, I can say that the COL is lower here in general when it comes to property tax, personal property tax, and extracurricular activity costs for things like dance lessons and voice lessons (my experience), and movies.

Where I see little change is in grocery costs *same/more due to taxes*, alcohol costs (wine is more expensive and then add the sales tax ouch), dinners out (I see DC prices in restaurants here that are no way near comparable to my dining experiences in DC), gas, fitness center costs (gym here that is half the size and has half the amenities as offered to a superior gym up north in DC costs MORE and I find that strange).

Where I see savings overall is in real estate (but not as good as in other larger southern cities/metros), commute times (traffic is always rush hour in DC--I spent hours on the road there), accessibility, life entertainment, dental bills. Housing is not affordable even now in many areas.

In general: quality of life is easier due to laid back lifestyle and easier commute. Less stress overall. And that trickles down to the HS level/schools in that parents are less stressed and anal about the school experience and teachers are more willing to believe in the importance of family life. Students really learn to lead and advocate for themselves here.

However, I do miss the variety of things to do in DC -- it is an amazing place and a mecca of things to do.

I love Bridge Street, but it gets "old" after a while. And I've noticed many stores not succeeding as well as restaurant closings. When I compare it to The Summit in Birmingham, The Summit wins hands down.

But at least all the other metros are very accessible from here. So it is easy to get to a concert with a bunch of teen girls, watch them go nuts, eat at the Cheesecake Factory, rent a van and be home at a reasonable hour without it costing a prohibitive amount of money... so at the end of the day, this is a good place to roost for the time being, influx of BRAC dollars or not.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Having moved here from DC a year ago and having returned several times for business and personal reasons, I can say that the COL is lower here in general when it comes to property tax, personal property tax, and extracurricular activity costs for things like dance lessons and voice lessons (my experience), and movies.

Where I see little change is in grocery costs *same/more due to taxes*, alcohol costs (wine is more expensive and then add the sales tax ouch), dinners out (I see DC prices in restaurants here that are no way near comparable to my dining experiences in DC), gas, fitness center costs (gym here that is half the size and has half the amenities as offered to a superior gym up north in DC costs MORE and I find that strange).

Where I see savings overall is in real estate (but not as good as in other larger southern cities/metros), commute times (traffic is always rush hour in DC--I spent hours on the road there), accessibility, life entertainment, dental bills. Housing is not affordable even now in many areas.

In general: quality of life is easier due to laid back lifestyle and easier commute. Less stress overall. And that trickles down to the HS level/schools in that parents are less stressed and anal about the school experience and teachers are more willing to believe in the importance of family life. Students really learn to lead and advocate for themselves here.

However, I do miss the variety of things to do in DC -- it is an amazing place and a mecca of things to do.

I love Bridge Street, but it gets "old" after a while. And I've noticed many stores not succeeding as well as restaurant closings. When I compare it to The Summit in Birmingham, The Summit wins hands down.

But at least all the other metros are very accessible from here. So it is easy to get to a concert with a bunch of teen girls, watch them go nuts, eat at the Cheesecake Factory, rent a van and be home at a reasonable hour without it costing a prohibitive amount of money... so at the end of the day, this is a good place to roost for the time being, influx of BRAC dollars or not.

That's pretty much how I feel especially the "easy living" in Huntsville. The lack of traffic is such an improvement in quality of life. I love it that I can leave work for a doctor appointment and get back within an hour. In Colorado Springs it was one hour just to get to the doctor (OK, unfair comparison, I worked on an isolated Air Force Base near COS), but everything in Huntsville is accessible. However the housing prices are falling in the expensive places outside Huntsville and the polarity in housing prices is a lot less now than it was three years ago. Huntsville is the only place I know that driving through downtown is sometimes a quicker alternative (compared to 565E to Memorial Parkway to Governors).

Old 08-17-2009, 01:48 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:

Agree with everything Dramamama said except to switch out DC to LA/OC, that would pretty much summarize my experience. Meantime, HSV is a good place to roost for now.

I remembered considering a job offer around McLean (NoVA) and thinking this place is no where cheaper than cali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Huntsville is the only place I know that driving through downtown is sometimes a quicker alternative (compared to 565E to Memorial Parkway to Governors).
I remembered back in 1989 when I was offered a job here in the Research Park and the realtor was showing me houses in Monte Sano mountain off the governors' drive, I recalled thinking this would be a terrible commute as I had to go through downtown! Back in cali, the "conventional wisdom" was to avoid downtown whenever possible.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:46 PM

46 posts, read 252,752 times
To all who commented on the price of homes and how the COL is not that much lower than major metro areas such as Nashville. I would say you are right on, and here's why. I moved here in 1995, bought a house in 1996. Prices were quite reasonable, even for a single person employed by the federal government, and it went on that way till BRAC was announced. Then, best I can tell, the real estate agents suddenly decided properties were worth twice or three times as much as they had been and started pricing them as such. I wouldn't call it supply and demand, because at that time there was no demand other than agents and "investors" trying to make money. I know more than one person who has put a home on the market and does not intend to sell until "some rich BRAC person comes along and will pay what I want." So, are Huntsville homes really worth that much, or is it all a grand illusion? Considering that I am now seeing land prices drop from $15K/acre in NE Madison County to as low as $6K/acre, I'm thinking perhaps realism has finally set in for some.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 PM

190 posts, read 413,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypeep View Post
To all who commented on the price of homes and how the COL is not that much lower than major metro areas such as Nashville. I would say you are right on, and here's why. I moved here in 1995, bought a house in 1996. Prices were quite reasonable, even for a single person employed by the federal government, and it went on that way till BRAC was announced. Then, best I can tell, the real estate agents suddenly decided properties were worth twice or three times as much as they had been and started pricing them as such. I wouldn't call it supply and demand, because at that time there was no demand other than agents and "investors" trying to make money. I know more than one person who has put a home on the market and does not intend to sell until "some rich BRAC person comes along and will pay what I want." So, are Huntsville homes really worth that much, or is it all a grand illusion? Considering that I am now seeing land prices drop from $15K/acre in NE Madison County to as low as $6K/acre, I'm thinking perhaps realism has finally set in for some.
Ditto that, Amen, and Word!!! I moved here in 2000 and saw the same thing in 2005 post BRAC announcement. Especially in 5 Points. I kept hearing the same story when browsing for a house - about how the owners bought for $y in 1999 and "...isn't it wonderful that now it's listed at $3y. You too can triple your investment if you buy this house. " If only I bought my first home when I just moved here in 2000.

As a stereotypical cheapskate engineer, I refuse to buy now out of principle (or from lack of principal ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area