Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,950,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInHSV View Post
Ditto that, Amen, and Word!!! I moved here in 2000 and saw the same thing in 2005 post BRAC announcement. Especially in 5 Points. I kept hearing the same story when browsing for a house - about how the owners bought for $y in 1999 and "...isn't it wonderful that now it's listed at $3y. You too can triple your investment if you buy this house. " If only I bought my first home when I just moved here in 2000.

As a stereotypical cheapskate engineer, I refuse to buy now out of principle (or from lack of principal ).
LOL...

Do you guys remember what was the average $/sq. ft. houses sold for back in '99 ~ '05 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 08:34 PM

956 posts, read 2,499,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
LOL...

Do you guys remember what was the average $/sq. ft. houses sold for back in '99 ~ '05 ?
HB2HSV: Thought you might find these numbers interesting since you live in Madison:

I just pulled the history for Clifts Cove in Madison:
1999 average price per square foot was $98.00
2005 average price per square foot was $135.00
2009 average price per square foot is: $128.93

I have been in many of these and several were showing their age and ready to be updated. Per square foot price has ranged from $100 (foreclosure) to a high of $157 (it was immaculate). Pull that foreclosure out and the average to date is $133.
There was another foreclosure that I did not figure in to my comps. It was a total wreck. Wasn't located "inside" Clifts Cove, but on the back side, directly across the street from the water tower. I didn't feel it was a good comp at all.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
HB2HSV: Thought you might find these numbers interesting since you live in Madison:

I just pulled the history for Clifts Cove in Madison:
1999 average price per square foot was $98.00
2005 average price per square foot was $135.00
2009 average price per square foot is: $128.93

I have been in many of these and several were showing their age and ready to be updated. Per square foot price has ranged from $100 (foreclosure) to a high of $157 (it was immaculate). Pull that foreclosure out and the average to date is $133.
There was another foreclosure that I did not figure in to my comps. It was a total wreck. Wasn't located "inside" Clifts Cove, but on the back side, directly across the street from the water tower. I didn't feel it was a good comp at all.
Thanks, Liz_G

Say, can you pull the same stats on houses on Governors' Bend? Back in 1988, I had an opportunity to come to work in HSV and buy one of those houses. I am just curious what prices they would be today? (I'd suspect I'll be once I find out).

ps - How was your latest haircut?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Thanks, Liz_G

Say, can you pull the same stats on houses on Governors' Bend? Back in 1988, I had an opportunity to come to work in HSV and buy one of those houses. I am just curious what prices they would be today? (I'd suspect I'll be once I find out).

ps - How was your latest haircut?
If you ask her to do that pro bono, I hope you are prepared to design a rocket for her for free - and not by double dipping on the government charge line.

You remember what happened to the last guys that designed a rocket as a return favor for pro bono realtor services:

(public domain photo from wikipedia commons)

Last edited by Charles; 08-20-2009 at 05:24 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you ask her to do that pro bono, I hope you are prepared to design a rocket for her for free -
Why does Liz_G need a rocket? My friends at the ATF may wanna know

Quote:
and not by double dipping on the government charge line.
*sigh* A wicked mind can never think that others may take the high road.

All that Boeing mandatory ethics training just went out of window *sigh*

Quote:
You remember what happened to the last guys that designed a rocket as a return favor for pro bono realtor services:
Yes, he received a 3-day suspension from C-D forum

Old 08-21-2009, 05:55 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Default Is BRAC Done?

I found this at al.com:

Quote:
BRAC building is last one

Friday, August 21, 2009 From staff reports
Huntsville Times

Rotary Wing Center includes hangar,office at Redstone
A ground-breaking ceremony today for a Rotary Wing Center at the airfield on Redstone Arsenal will mark the beginnings of the final BRAC construction projects on the sprawling military base.
There will also be a new headquarters building for the newly formed Redstone Test Center, which oversees the Rotary Wing Center. A total of $46.5 million has been set aside for the hangar at the airfield and the new RTC headquarters, which will be on Martin Road across from the Army Materiel Command Headquarters already under construction.
http://www.al.com/business/huntsvill...750.xml&coll=1

Old 08-23-2009, 01:29 PM

956 posts, read 2,499,761 times
HB2HSV and Charles, I'm not so sure gray is your color for the jail uniforms. A nice tweed fabric, possibly?

We can talk about bartering for a rocket...why not? LOL.

Okay HB2HSV: I'm only finding sales for Governors Bend dating back to 1992, so I am pulling solds from 92-93 combined. (I'm not sure how far back our MLS gathers data)
6 sold, (1 in '92 and 5 in '93). The average price per square foot was $106, with square footage ranging from 3200 to 5581 square feet. (McMansion in those days!).

1998- 6 sold, average price per square foot was only $92.53 per square foot. (low of $72, high of $102). Average sale price was $408,150

2003- 3 sold, average price per square foot was $80.96 (low of $68 high of $93) Average sale price was $352,000

2008 2 sold, average price per square foot was $156.73 (One new construction was $174.97 and one existing at $155.88). Average sale price was $702,500.

Interesting....

Old 08-23-2009, 10:24 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,584,612 times
Looks like as soon as the BRAC was announced, the prices hiked. But oh well... better to buy established developments than to buy new developments here as far as getting free of new developer's bizarre, legally defined, ownerships over homeowners.

Why on earth would anyone pay over 600K for a house here? Unless it is an amazing palatial mansion, forget it. I know for a fact that houses in DC Metro, in good school districts with lots of amenities and no NEW developer strings tied to them, are selling at that price point. 700K in DC metro: in good district is acceptable due to amenities, cool things to do, amazing job opportunities etc. Here? I am thinking it's a bit overblown. JMO

Still love it here, but don't get it. Not one bit.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:49 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,800,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
Looks like as soon as the BRAC was announced, the prices hiked. But oh well... better to buy established developments than to buy new developments here as far as getting free of new developer's bizarre, legally defined, ownerships over homeowners.

Why on earth would anyone pay over 600K for a house here? Unless it is an amazing palatial mansion, forget it. I know for a fact that houses in DC Metro, in good school districts with lots of amenities and no NEW developer strings tied to them, are selling at that price point. 700K in DC metro: in good district is acceptable due to amenities, cool things to do, amazing job opportunities etc. Here? I am thinking it's a bit overblown. JMO

Still love it here, but don't get it. Not one bit.
We have friends going through headache with developers. Their neighborhood is brand new and only about 1/3 filled. The houses are all brick in the 2000-3000sqft, 200-300k range. The developer went bankrupt, now Hunter Homes is trying to buy up the property and develop the remaining tracts. The home owners association has a lawyer fighting it. It looks like Phase I will become a seperate neighborhood with rights to the community pool and what not, Phases II and III will become a Hunter Home neighborhood.

Regarding paying 600k+ for a house here...some people's 700k is my 200k. I can't really understand why someone would stretch their budget for a 700k house here when there are MANY very nice properties lower than that. However, if you can comfortably afford it and it is what you want...why not? If I had the money, I would love to own a home on the rim of Monte Sano with a sunset view. I could also perhaps see spending that much on a beautiful old home in Twickenham or Old Town. However, in some bland suburban development...no way.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:48 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,584,612 times
RNC--sorry about your friends' troubles. I know their pain, sort of--it's a state wide problem and needs addressing at that level, IMHO.

I wouldn't love a house on a mountain, no matter how pretty the view. I had climbed stairs for 18 years with groceries and now I don't. Plus, the driveways are too steep for me.

I like my flat land... but the point is, hey, if you want to spend the money here, go for it. But what I see is not much more bang for my buck at those price points compared to DC in certain areas.

JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area