Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:07 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
HB2HSV and Charles, I'm not so sure gray is your color for the jail uniforms. A nice tweed fabric, possibly?

We can talk about bartering for a rocket...why not? LOL.

Okay HB2HSV: I'm only finding sales for Governors Bend dating back to 1992, so I am pulling solds from 92-93 combined. (I'm not sure how far back our MLS gathers data)
6 sold, (1 in '92 and 5 in '93). The average price per square foot was $106, with square footage ranging from 3200 to 5581 square feet. (McMansion in those days!).

1998- 6 sold, average price per square foot was only $92.53 per square foot. (low of $72, high of $102). Average sale price was $408,150

2003- 3 sold, average price per square foot was $80.96 (low of $68 high of $93) Average sale price was $352,000

2008 2 sold, average price per square foot was $156.73 (One new construction was $174.97 and one existing at $155.88). Average sale price was $702,500.

Interesting....
Thanks Liz_G

The one I saw back in 1988 was over 4,000 sq. ft. and was asking $379K.

It was truly a marvelous house. I guess if I had a family back then that would be an ultimate house to buy. It was like the house from "Gone with the Wind".

But I was young & single back then, and wouldn''t know what to do with a 4,000+ sq. ft. house. At the end, I settled for my meager 1,500 sq ft house back in So. Cal which, btw, worth about the similar selling price you showed in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
Why on earth would anyone pay over 600K for a house here? Unless it is an amazing palatial mansion, forget it.
Well... some people (like some of our posters in this forum) needs to roll their capital gain into a new house in order to avoid paying taxes. One advantage in Huntsville is that the real estate market does not suffer wild swings like other metro area in the country. So when they sell, and as long as they buy the next house at a higher price, they can continue to postpone the capital gain until they qualify for that $250K exemption.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't love a house on a mountain, no matter how pretty the view. I had climbed stairs for 18 years with groceries and now I don't. Plus, the driveways are too steep for me.
I do like the convenience of a single story house, but I like the privacy of a two-story house (with bedrooms upstairs). But what I really like is a 3-car garage (omg !!).

Old 08-24-2009, 02:30 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,775,685 times
Quote:
RNC--sorry about your friends' troubles. I know their pain, sort of--it's a state wide problem and needs addressing at that level, IMHO.

I wouldn't love a house on a mountain, no matter how pretty the view. I had climbed stairs for 18 years with groceries and now I don't. Plus, the driveways are too steep for me.

I like my flat land... but the point is, hey, if you want to spend the money here, go for it. But what I see is not much more bang for my buck at those price points compared to DC in certain areas.

JMO
The houses actually on top of the mountain are on flat land that basically sit on the edge of the bluff. The top of the mountain is very flat, a plateau actually (reference to an old post ). If you look up at Monte Sano from downtown on a clear day you can see a line of houses at the very top stretching across. There are some other really amazing properties like that down on Green Mountain as well but I'm not sure I'd want to live all the way down there. There are some like Governor's Bend that are basically built into the side of the mountain. I wouldn't really care for that either.

You also have to think that if someone has the money to buy a $700k house, that means they have a job here that allows them to pay for a $700k house. That is pretty decent incentive to stay in this area. People have roots here, others have started little companies that have taken off and are worth $$$. There seem to be a lot of people that have money here.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:59 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,565,315 times
Thanks RNC--I've seen that line of houses--would love to get invited to din din there and take in the views LOL.

You're right: if people want to spend the money and set down their roots here, absolutely! Why not? Me, I am not up to more than I've got--which feels like a whole lot too me.

I've not been on Green Mountain, but love the views on the drive over to Hampton Cove from Jones Valley.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:04 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,821,151 times
How about the Ledges? those homes are really expensive (not in my price range!) but even though they are on the mountain top it is flat up there. Even has a beautiful park/green space in the middle.It was very interesting to drive flat up on a mountain top.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,565,315 times
The ledges are great! I love them--out of my price point or school choice, but a lovely community.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM

369 posts, read 1,140,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Well... some people (like some of our posters in this forum) needs to roll their capital gain into a new house in order to avoid paying taxes.
For a married couple, your capital gain needs to exceed $500K for the situation to come into play, so I doubt that is driving much of anything.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:41 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,225,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
We have friends going through headache with developers. Their neighborhood is brand new and only about 1/3 filled. The houses are all brick in the 2000-3000sqft, 200-300k range. The developer went bankrupt, now Hunter Homes is trying to buy up the property and develop the remaining tracts. The home owners association has a lawyer fighting it. It looks like Phase I will become a seperate neighborhood with rights to the community pool and what not, Phases II and III will become a Hunter Home neighborhood.

Regarding paying 600k+ for a house here...some people's 700k is my 200k. I can't really understand why someone would stretch their budget for a 700k house here when there are MANY very nice properties lower than that. However, if you can comfortably afford it and it is what you want...why not? If I had the money, I would love to own a home on the rim of Monte Sano with a sunset view. I could also perhaps see spending that much on a beautiful old home in Twickenham or Old Town. However, in some bland suburban development...no way.

Ah, yes...I know which neighborhood you are talking about. The attorney handling it is FANTASTIC. They have some great people in their corner. There has been several homeowners that really have stepped up and made things happen over there.

It was a huge holy mess when the builder actually went belly up, since there was not an HOA yet formed and he was collecting dues. The bank had a builder who was ready to buy the lots...but, he hit troubles himself.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,775,685 times
Quote:
I've not been on Green Mountain, but love the views on the drive over to Hampton Cove from Jones Valley.
You should definitely make it up to Green Mtn and check out the nature trail. It is an awesome place for a nice walk and a picnic. The fall foliage is really nice up there. Then drive around a little bit and check out the views some of those lucky ducks have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area