Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
Comparing to Hampton Cove, Highland Lakes and Clifts Cove are much closer to research park, right?
Highland Lakes is Slaughter and Manitoba, immediately west of Research Park.

Clifts Cove is Hughes Road and Clifts Cove Boulevard, near Bob Jones High School.

Probably ten minutes from those places to RP. HC is about 25 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guxu View Post
Comparing to Hampton Cove, Highland Lakes and Clifts Cove are much closer to research park, right?
Oh yeah, closer by at least 20~25 miles !!!

Highland Lakes is right outside of Research Park on Slaughter. Clifts Cove is just north of Hughes road & Eastview. One would take Eastview to RP.

Both are within 2~3 miles from the Research Park.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 PM

122 posts, read 354,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Highland Lakes is Slaughter and Manitoba, immediately west of Research Park.

Clifts Cove is Hughes Road and Clifts Cove Boulevard, near Bob Jones High School.

Probably ten minutes from those places to RP. HC is about 25 minutes.
Highland Lakes is more like a minute and thirty seconds from Research Park by car. From my house I can walk and run through CRP. It is about a 10 minute walk at a moderate pace.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 PM

205 posts, read 589,837 times
Just to add another prespective: I chose Athens first and second (I have moved 2 times since relocating to AL). The first time I was working in Research park. We wanted a reasonably priced historic home in a safe, older neighborhood. We sold that house because it turns out it didn't fit our lifestyle (too many formal rooms, fireplaces, square footage). We sold that house and looked HARD at different options, including new subdivisions (Athens oriented, because I like it here and now work downtown). I just couldn't warm up to the new subdivisions with their large homes and lots. Instead, we found a 1939 Prairie style house in the Beaty Historic district. It has enough lot (about 300' deep by about 80' wide) for me to have a garden and then some. Enough for our dogs to have a spot to play. The house is bright and sunny and although we had to update windows and the kitchen, it had a great basement for my exercise equipment (a luxury in a 1906 house with 2 parlors!). I like the old neighborhoods with the mix of people. There are young couples with kids, couples with grand kids, some singles, some really established families holding on to their family homes.... people don't get that upset when the dogs bark (too much, in my opinion). And I never worry about security. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised on any given day if the door isn't locked.

I now walk to work, too. My 10 year old car has 30K miles on it...and it had 22K on it when I bought it 4 years ago.

The old neighborhoods have something special that the new developments don't...at least in my opinion.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,488 times
Thank you for the multiple perspectives, I need it. I am still up in the air on so many things. I was hoping for people that love where they live and maybe I will too

I believe I am driving myself crazy because it is all I have control over right now. I feel like the train is coming at me and I am trying to get all of us out of the way before it is too late.

Strange feeling.

I don't think there is a "wrong" answer in the Huntsville area, it all looks nice and I am sure we will be happy no matter where we end up.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
Big Cove area (off Taylor Road) because...

- neighborhood had LOTS of young families (I've lived in "mature" neighborhoods before that were so mature that the lack of kids & support network was depressing.)

- flat, open neighborhood good for bikes, trikes, scooters and skates (some of the other neighborhoods have steep hills and blind intersections)

- pretty - view of hills, nature trails nearby, etc.

- good school (for me the new elementary was a bonus, because my one reservation about the school was how overcrowded it is.

- newer home. I've had my fill of older homes and older home problems. While I like fixer uppers to some extent, I have two little kids and I just don't want the headache right now.

- community pool, playground, clubhouse - but on a much smaller scale than Hampton Cove, and in walking distance. I take advantage of all of these quite frequently. I like riding my bike/trailer with kids to the pool int he summer, and having a smaller clubhouse makes it quick and easy to do things like run a weekly girl scout meeting.

- equidistant to both SE Huntsville and Downtown, both of which has locations I'd need to drive to frequently (SE Huntsville has my synagogue, the preschool of my choice, Super Target - while Downtown is near my husband's work, the main library, botanical gardens, aquatic center, etc.) Some houses in SOUTH Huntsville meet my other requirements, but get pretty faaaar from downtown.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:52 PM

426 posts, read 1,272,214 times
We chose Monrovia because of the close proximity to our work in the Research park and other conveniences we'd need (gyms, shopping, etc.) We did not want a long commute. We rented for several months and considered all parts of Madison County, Madison and Huntsville. While I liked aspects of SE Huntsville and Madison, I found that you could get new construction on a bigger, nicer home in Monrovia. This was a few years ago and my perception is that there is probably less of a price delta between Madison, Monrovia and some areas of Huntsville now. Finally, for so many of the existing homes we looked at, we were told that the owners had built a new home in the area, so it seemed to us that new construction was the way to go. That and people around here wanted top dollar for some pretty junky houses. Plus many of them were in the age range where you'd need to look at replacing things like Roof and Heating/Air units. School zone was a consideration for resale. We also wanted crawlspace (or basement), full brick home, no flood zones so it seemed that Monrovia had lots to offer.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:17 AM

59 posts, read 177,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
We chose Monrovia because of the close proximity to our work in the Research park and other conveniences we'd need (gyms, shopping, etc.) We did not want a long commute. We rented for several months and considered all parts of Madison County, Madison and Huntsville. While I liked aspects of SE Huntsville and Madison, I found that you could get new construction on a bigger, nicer home in Monrovia. This was a few years ago and my perception is that there is probably less of a price delta between Madison, Monrovia and some areas of Huntsville now. Finally, for so many of the existing homes we looked at, we were told that the owners had built a new home in the area, so it seemed to us that new construction was the way to go. That and people around here wanted top dollar for some pretty junky houses. Plus many of them were in the age range where you'd need to look at replacing things like Roof and Heating/Air units. School zone was a consideration for resale. We also wanted crawlspace (or basement), full brick home, no flood zones so it seemed that Monrovia had lots to offer.
That exactly mirrors our recent experiences. We really liked the feel of some of the established neighborhoods in SE, but the houses themselves were scary. There was one very well-maintained home we liked, but it needed a LOT of redecorating work. (Seafoam green carpet! ) We have put an offer on a new home in Monrovia. I don't know if we'll like living there, yet, but it's as likely to become "home" as anywhere else.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:46 AM

205 posts, read 589,837 times
I guess since I don't have children I don't address some things other find important! My home in Athens is also within walking distance to a great elementary and middle school as well as the Athens Library, Whitt's barbeque, and the downtown square (hair cutting, small stores, restaurants).

Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
We chose a house in the Riverton community, west of New Market. There were multiple reasons for our choice. First, while we do have some traffic issues moving into H'ville on Winchester Road, they are nothing in comparison to coming in from 431 and Madison. We also looked in Hampton Cove, but found we could get a larger house with a larger lot for less money. We do not have small children so schools were not a consideration for us, but we looked at schools in terms of their effect on our re-sale value and found most people were pleased with area schools: New Market, Riverton Elem, Riverton Middle, Mt Carmel Elem and Buckhorn HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area