Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:17 AM

11 posts, read 53,449 times

Advertisements

Hi : I'm a paranormal investigator from Utah and plan on heading that way this spring on my way to Florida . I plan on spending a few days in the general area of Huntsville , AL and hope to collect some credible evidence .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 03:42 AM

65 posts, read 129,249 times
thanks for the link to the Sally Carter story. I see it says a guard's torch flickered as if it batteries were drained. Well, if you want a spooky tour, that happens a lot - an aweful lot - in dungeons under the Tasmanian Supreme Court building.

We're talking about life long prisoners in the 1700s and 1800s being shippped from England to hell hole prisons, and going insane because solitory confinement was supposed to help them find God. We're talking escapees turning to cannibalism before recapture. Many were dumped on an Island - no huts, no guards, no food.

On our tour of the dungeons under the Court room, all the group's torches went out as we shone them into these black dungeons. Pitch black they were. The light was devoured by the darkness as much as the batteries were.

I was the last down the stairs so I used my cigarette lighter to light the way back up the narrow stairs to the Court room, using the same steps the condemned men took all those years ago.

As I came up stairs to the dock,I entered a sealed Court room.

Standing in the same area where prisoners were sentenced, the air was still and heavy. Windows were shut and shuttered. I was the only person in the room. Or was I?

Peering around in the dark, the cigarette lighter's flame leant over ever so slowly as if someone was breathing on it.

And then it went 'out' and wouldn't re-light until after I left the building..

Anyway I know my lighter wasn't rigged (as torches might be) so I can't explain it.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:52 AM

65 posts, read 129,249 times
During construction of Charlesmagne's Bridge in Prague in the medieval days, it was always collpasing.

Local lore claims Satan demanded the first born of the first to cross the bridge. Emporer Charles the Gfreat agreed - and built it as instructed using egg whites as the mortar.

When it was finished, it was time to pay the price, so he sent a hen across first. Satan vanished in a puff of sulphur and the bridge has withstood floods and armies for centuries.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:43 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,142,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvegas29 View Post
we went tonight and had a great time. I was suprised by the turn out. Alot more than I had expected but everything was neat and orderly. I have always had a fascination with obscure local history and was very impressed with the tour guides knowledge. I didn't see any ghosts (surprise, surprise) but had a great time learning about the spooky side of twickenham. I'm definatly going back for the old town walk and the cemetery tour.
Hey, I was there, too! Also surprised at the turnout...about twice as many people as I expected. We also went on the Twickenham tour...Robert Reeves was our guide. The whole family went--kids, in-laws, outlaws, all of us. It was interesting. I was a history teacher at one time, and know maybe more than average about the local history, but I learned some things on the tour. Alas, no ghosts. I'll have to check out my pictures carefully for apparitions... The weather was great, too!

My wife and I will be going on the Old Town tour...we would recommend these tours. It's also a pretty cheap night out!

Old 10-04-2009, 03:41 PM

143 posts, read 356,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Hey, I was there, too! Also surprised at the turnout...about twice as many people as I expected. We also went on the Twickenham tour...Robert Reeves was our guide. The whole family went--kids, in-laws, outlaws, all of us. It was interesting. I was a history teacher at one time, and know maybe more than average about the local history, but I learned some things on the tour. Alas, no ghosts. I'll have to check out my pictures carefully for apparitions... The weather was great, too!

My wife and I will be going on the Old Town tour...we would recommend these tours. It's also a pretty cheap night out!
LOL we were in the same group then...good stuff. I'll have a city-data forum nametag on for the next one!!
Yeah, I'm definatly going back for the Old Town tour. My GF's parents did that one last night and had a great time as well. The beautiful full moon really set the ambiance too.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:02 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,821,151 times
We did the 5 Points tour on Saturday and it was great. I also recommend the Old Town tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area