Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
From what I see, it seems like if Huntsville wanted to really and truly expand its downtown, the expansion seems like it would disturb the historic areas surrounding the downtown area. Again, I think that if Huntsville wants a bigger and taller downtown that looks suitable for a city its population, than I think that the only choice, if any, would be to relocate to the river. Hey, that's how I feel.
Downtown has plenty of vacant, underused land. Look on Google Earth and count the surface parking lots, many of which aren't even full on a weekday. Drive around and look at all the 1-2 story uninteresting, non historic buildings to the northwest of the square. On top of that, drive around downtown and look at all of the "For Lease" signs. Some of which have been there for years (seriously). Huntsville's defined "downtown" is HUGE in land area for a city of it's size. The official downtown boundaries are the Parkway (W), Pratt (N), Andrew Jackson/California (E) and Governor's (S). That is a big chunk of space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:50 AM

889 posts, read 2,398,237 times
There's plenty of room to expand downtown if there was enough demand to do so. City leaders over the years have just not been that interested and the economy does not demand it at this time. Battle seems more interested in developing downtown than Spencer was. But I was just reading an article about the high vacancy rates for skyscrapers in Chicago these days. What makes Huntsville think building a bunch of skyscrapers is wise with current economic conditions? And typically developers build skyscrapers, not a local government. Sure we'd love to have a downtown with Atlanta style skyscrapers, but is it necessary? Charleston SC is much bigger than Huntsville and you'd be hard pressed to find a building over 5 stories there.

BTW, Atlanta also does not have a major river running through downtown. Nor does Dallas or Fort Worth? I think I covered your favorite major cities, KE. Moving downtown to the river, eh? I'll be the first to say that Huntsville does not utilize the Tenn River area as well as it could. But moving downtown is about as likely as putting a man on the sun.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:46 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Is there a precedent in the entire history of the United States for an established central business district to move to the far edge of a city?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:10 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
I'll be the first to say that Huntsville does not utilize the Tenn River area as well as it could.
I know I'm going to get some angry responses, but hey, I'm going to say it anyway. Huntsville can utilize the river by doing what Tuscaloosa has done to the Black Warrior River. Huntsville can build houses, condos, parks, dining places, shops, ampitheaters, hotels, an amusement park, a boardwalk, etc. along the river.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:34 PM

2,452 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
I know I'm going to get some angry responses, but hey, I'm going to say it anyway. Huntsville can utilize the river by doing what Tuscaloosa has done to the Black Warrior River. Huntsville can build houses, condos, parks, dining places, shops, ampitheaters, hotels, an amusement park, a boardwalk, etc. along the river.

Not an angry response, but in Tuscaloosa, the river runs through the town. The Tennessee River doesn't run through Huntsville. Success is probably best achieved by building entertainment places where the people are rather than building them away from the people and hoping that the people will wander over.

The city should capitalize on its strengths and not attempt to be something that it is simply not.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:11 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Well... KE you missed the opportunity when I proposed to build beach front properties right on the Tennessee river, use the nuclear power to keep it warm in the winter time and soon high rise condos will pop up everywhere. People will walk around in Tommy Bahama shirts, drinking margarittas, pina coladas, anything with cute little umbrella on it. We'll have "beach valleyball invitational" with prizes upwards of $100,000. to get national spotlights. ESPN will buy the broadcast rights. Martin Rolland will host fishing shows right off the Tennessee river. It will be the next "best kept secret" of spring break destinations for all college kids. "Dixies gone wild" will be the theme of parties and subject of many movies.

Property values by the Tennessee river will go through the roof.

But you "chicken out", my friend, and not wiling to take this proposal to Mayor Tommy Battles. Those who don't have the "balls" to do what it takes, to make Huntsville a winter paradise of the deep south, can't ask any more questions about the growth of Huntsville by the river.

I am disillusioned, my friend, about your "perceived enthusiasm" about Huntsville and your unwillingness to follw through. I *had* money, ready to put down on a nice 10~20 acres by the river just waiting for you to pull the trigger. I even have business plans in mind, something like "catch your own crawfish", "you catch them, we'd cook them". That and night time drive-in movie threater by the river, serving California pizza (taste just like regular pizza but we charge double the price), allowing beach camp fire and get that "malibu surfing" attitude going (selling surf boards, t-shirts & hair-gels). I'll even get Pamela Anderson here for a re-make of "Bay Watch -- 30 yrs later". Granny lifeguards on tight bathing suits. Now that's hot!!!

So will you get angry responses? Not from me. But once bitten, twice shy. Next time you ask some idiotic questions, I'll want to see some actions from you before I'll take you seriously. Y'all hear?

Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Hobbs Island near Ditto Landing has a sandy "beach" (which is actually very beachy), but you need a boat to get there.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:50 PM

And I had stated in a previous thread that Huntsville should just annex Dallas-Ft Worth and we'd have all those things KE wants so badly for Huntsville.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,215 times
I think Huntsville should be the first city in America with a man-made volcano.

It should be made to erupt or at least belch smoke on command, preferably via a remote control in my possession.

Also I would like to relocate downtown to the slopes of this volcano. Plus I think Harvard University and the Smithsonian Institute should be relocated there as well. And the UN Headquarters.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 PM

And since "BRAC is coming" I say we encourage Space Ghost and all the rest of his superhero Coast to Coast buddies to relocate to Huntsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area