Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,585,319 times

Advertisements

Thought it might be time to start a fun thread to lighten the mood around here. What are the top 5 things you enjoy doing in the area/why?

I haven't been here long, but here's what I've enjoyed so far--I'm sure the list will grow:

1) Dining at Pauli's, Terranovas and D&L Bistro
2) Going to Bridge Street stores and shopping and eating.
3) Watching the people walk around our neighborhood while sitting on my screened-in veranda enjoying a glass of wine.
4) Imagining having time to go to Botanical Gardens, the other mall off South Memorial Pkway, the lakes, and the theater in downtown Huntsville.
5) Socializing with my new neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 03:53 PM

55 posts, read 229,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglover View Post
3) Watching the people walk around our neighborhood while sitting on my screened-in veranda enjoying a glass of wine.
I'm curious how you are able to people watch from your veranda--is it in the front of your house? Who did you have to screen it in for you? I'd like to do the same thing, whenever we finally get in the house.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:35 PM

I have a front porch and a screened in veranda in the back--the screen in veranda we added after we bought. The deck was already covered and we found the BEST guys to screen it in--if you want the name/info---zip me a direct message and I'll get it to you. Or I'll try to remember to zip em to you later tonight or tomorrow--heading to the veranda now!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,788,193 times
1. Hanging out with all my great new friends & neighbors
2. Storm watching from my porch
3. Hiking at any of the number of great, kid-friendly trails within 5-20 minutes of my house
4. Taking long walks around my neighborhood, waving to neighbors, and enjoying the scenery (when it's not too hot!)
5. Enjoying many local events with my family without having to sit in over an hour of traffic or having to beg, borrow, and steal to get a parking spot.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
3. Hiking at any of the number of great, kid-friendly trails within 5-20 minutes of my house
What trails do you hike? I have a friend coming to visit who loves that kind of stuff.

And for a good work out, I do too.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:54 AM

262 posts, read 781,519 times
Quote:
What trails do you hike? I have a friend coming to visit who loves that kind of stuff.

Land Trust has monthly walks, they are posted on their webpage and they are in the Sunday paper the day of the hike, typically

Old 07-12-2008, 09:02 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,009 times
Quote:

Monte Sano has miles of trails. The hike down to the Stone Cuts is most interesting IMO. Green Mtn is a great place for a walk in the woods. It is really beautiful up there and you don't even need a trailmap, just walk the loop. It is an easy 2.5 miles or so. If your friend is into something a little more strenuous and is willing to drive an hour, the Walls of Jericho is a great hike, about 7 miles and a really good workout. PM me if you would like more details about any of those.

My top 5:

1. Hiking or picnicing at Monte Sano
2. Feeding the ducks at Big Spring Park with my daughter
3. Walking through Twickenham
4. Taking out of towners to the new Saturn V exhibit
5. For a fancy night out, dinner at Le Bistro du Soleil, Pauli's or 801 Franklin
or for local fare, ribs at Thomas Pit

Old 07-12-2008, 10:00 AM

482 posts, read 990,601 times
1. Bridgestreet - eating at PF Chang's or Connor's and shopping.....waiting in line for the iPhone...

2. Going to Providence to eat outside at Cheeburger Cheeburger on a Friday night by the fountain

3. Playing golf.....anywhere

4. Eating at Carrabbas...a lot of these deal with eating.....

5. did I mention eating or playing golf?

Old 07-12-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
. For a fancy night out, dinner at Le Bistro du Soleil, Pauli's or 801 Franklin
or for local fare, ribs at Thomas Pit
Been to Pauli's & love it! Where are the other two restaurants you mentioned? I'd like to check them out.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:15 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,009 times
Le Bistro du Soleil is on the corner of South Side Square and Franklin, across from the courthouse (next to Harrison Hardware). 801 Franklin is next to the hospital at, you guessed it, 801 Franklin St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area