Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Huntsville Feel Southern?
Yes 41 59.42%
No 28 40.58%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:26 AM

6 posts, read 10,446 times

Advertisements

It feels pretty southern down here, but I've got to vote no after having visited New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 04:36 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,746 times
This cracks me up!!

Why do you ask for opinions only to argue with anyone that has an opinion other than your own?

And "dirty south?" What part of Huntsville do you live in so I can make sure I avoid that part?

Also, to answer your question, overall no not southern, however there are aspects that feel southern-such as the hospitality. After living all over the place, I can tell you that there are parts of Pennsylvania that feel more southern than Huntsville

Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,588 times
If you lived in the South most of your life and then moved to HSV it may not seem as "southern," but if you come here from elsewhere, it fits right in to all the "southern" stereotypes. There's nothing wrong with that though. It's one of the main reasons we wanted to move here. People are nice. Property is inexpensive. Winters aren't so harsh. Summers are long. It's laid back.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 AM

22 posts, read 49,015 times
Why people say that southern people are "friendly"? This kind of "friendliness" is annoying, and drives me crazy. People are nosey, harassing and, most of the times, insincere. If I don't care about my neighbours' life I expect the same attitude toward me, but they like to poke their noses into my business. This is RUDE. Are they bored or something?
You, guys, call it "hospitality"? I don't think so, just leave me along and I would appreciate it.
P.S. There are some nice, polite people here, but I like north better. People are stronger, tougher and more independent up there.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:57 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,418,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmingTea View Post
Why people say that southern people are "friendly"? This kind of "friendliness" is annoying, and drives me crazy. People are nosey, harassing and, most of the times, insincere. If I don't care about my neighbours' life I expect the same attitude toward me, but they like to poke their noses into my business. This is RUDE. Are they bored or something?
You, guys, call it "hospitality"? I don't think so, just leave me along and I would appreciate it.
P.S. There are some nice, polite people here, but I like north better. People are stronger, tougher and more independent up there.
News flash: I-65 runs north as well as south.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmingTea View Post

You might like this other City Data thread:

Are the people "Down South" really FAKE-FRIENDLY?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:30 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
I know one thing, Huntsville surely does has some of the most beautiful and friendliest black women in the south.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:21 AM

103 posts, read 278,144 times
It's Southern enough to me. Restaurants have sweet tea, it's unbearably humid in the summer, and people freak out when it snows.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I know one thing, Huntsville surely does has some of the most beautiful and friendliest black women in the south.
That's just cause you go to an HBCU there's always an abundance of black women in colleges especially HBCUs.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
In general, man! Y'all always have to make stuff difficult!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area