Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:30 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,963 times

Advertisements

I knew about the bussing into HC and didn't think much of it. It was more important that my children didn't have to get on a bus that passed several schools before arriving at its destination(as Madison was planning at the time). My children were in a charter school before this so I was comfortable with the demographic mix, I actually embrace it.

However, in practice this policy becomes a different issue. It appears that the school tries to keep these kids together, doesn't that defeat the purpose? So rather than 1 or 2 children in each classroom, you get 10 in one. So rather than integration, you get further segregation. This isn't supposed to happen, but when put in practice, nothing works the way it is supposed to.

Those of you out here, have you ever watched that bus arrive? The parents might be more involved, but I think they need to pay more attention to how their children leave the house in the morning. It seems to have improved some since the first day of school, but I can't imagine allowing my children to leave the house in sagging pants or purchasing them for that matter. I will say that parents don't have as much control once they are in high school, however, this is elementary and middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 02:41 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,118 times
I had hoped that since it was voluntary that the students would reflect that, but apparently that is not the case.

In some Madison County/Huntsville schools the students have a TUCK the shirt in policy hanging on the front door.

The sign says, "TUCK IN ZONE."

Crazy but that's like asking people to do the obvious and turn off their cell phones during plays, etc.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:35 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,963 times
Really? I have to turn my cell phone off???

I can't have some obnoxious ringtone going off every 5 minutes?

However on a serious note, I don't regret buying in hampton cove. The fraction of children that are bussed in is small, I just wish for all sides that integration would play a bigger role. I truly believe it would be beneficial for everyone and I am sure that is why the parents go the extra mile to give their children an opportunity to integrate. I also believe that my children are fortunate, maybe even spoiled(not that I would have it any other way) and it is good for them to know how fortunate they are. My daughter couldn't believe that there were children that didn't have books at home, she went home and made a bag to donate. She felt strongly that all kids needed books that we started a program at school to give books to those who had none-and it was set up not to ostracize by having an honor system bookshelf technically open to all(and several teachers would send books home with students in need). It was a great learning experience that will last a lifetlime. Gratitude for your circumstances and charity toward others are missing in many these days and I believe it needs to make a comeback. I can take them to work at soup kitchens, I can have them visit nursing homes and make blankets for the homeless, I can have them give money and things, but when it becomes personal, it has a bigger impact.

As for the dress code, they have a pretty strict one that includes no sagging pants, but I am sure enforcement is easier said than done.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
There's a sign at Hampton Cove Elementary School about no cell phones. Oddly, though it seems there is a concern for safety and rules, the red zone marked with "No Parking" right in front of the school (as in where fire trucks would park in an emergency) is filled with cars parked after school. This is while there are dozens of empty spaces 50 feet away.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:08 PM

256 posts, read 605,503 times
I prefer Hampton Cove. It's where I live. It's a straight-shot for me to the Arsenal (with the exception of a quick left onto Whitesburg) -- and easily accessible to downtown, and my favorite stretch of Huntsville -- Carl T. Jones. Jones Farm is gorgeous. The drive over the mountain is always beautiful and calming.

If I have one complaint about HC, it's that there is nothing decent to eat around. I think it suffers from being right off the highway; thus, it has as much "highway" character as it has neighborhood character. So, my complaint is that it lacks a neighborhood vibe. Going over the mountain is five minutes for me; but with the exception of Publix or Lowes or the cleaners, I HAVE to go over the mountain to get what I need. I wish it weren't right off the highway -- definitely a detriment. But, the accessibilty to where I go most and the scenery make it my choice....for now.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post

there is nothing decent to eat around.
What is really bizarre is three Mexican restaurants within 1/2 mile of each other.

The other thing that is unexplainable, is the person who was doing bong loads when he layed out the three sets of buildings at Publics. You have Publics, then there's a set (Totoras) behind (east) of Publics, and then there's the set (Cazadores) south of Publics. Totally disconnected.

You also have two Chinese, one at the WalMart shopping center and one next door to Publics.

And then there is (yawn) Santa Fe, another chain, generic, restaurant. It is always packed though. Service is excellent but the food isn't that great (and I have a high tolerance for bad food).

Big Cove BBQ is pretty good (not that I'm an expert), but it did win Huntsville's favorite BBQ.

Haven't been to Carson's Grill but we're heading there for our UG8 soccer party.

http://blog.al.com/kaylor/2009/01/ca...pton_cove.html

Last edited by Charles; 10-21-2009 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 07:00 PM

Totally agree, Charles. The amount of Mexican is ridiculous, and it's all barely acceptable. Santa Fe is gross. Carsons is gross. Nothing.
Not to be totally judgmental or stereotypical, but the area seems to draw more of the true OXR/New Hope crowd. Of course, given what's there...
But, that leads to another off-the-subject topic -- everyone thinks HC is so prestigious. It has some very nice subdivisions. But, a great many of the homes are just okay and some are less than okay.
It's nice. I choose it over Madison primarily for the reasons given -- scenery, accessibility to where I go, and it's close to my parents. But, it's not some elite neighborhood that some people make it to be. I never get the perceived prestige. Of course, the same goes for Madison, most certainly, as well. Plenty of nice houses. Plenty of bland and mediocre. Plenty of yucky. Neither has much of of anything which makes you drive to Huntsville proper.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:20 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,118 times
Love the scenery, the drive over the mountains is gorgeous, but the HS is also over the mountain. Blah. Not to mention the fact that weather affects that drive as well.

I thought there were more eclectic restaurants over toward HC, but they're really at JV or off of Airport, so not any better than Madison.

And yes, the amount of Mexican restaurants here--Italiano--you name it--boring.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:40 PM

889 posts, read 2,398,445 times
And all this begs the question... "Why Madison vs Hampton Cove?" They're both nice enough, but there's plenty of nice places to live besides those two. In the city, I particularly like historic areas like 5 Points, Old Town, Twickenham, Blossomwood and in the county I love the New Market area and particularly the mountainous stretch down Hurricane Creek Rd between NM and Gurley. I would argue the schools argument is fairly moot when you consider all those areas.

Also, being a native, I must confess that I cringe when I see new folks moving in talking about how their house budget is in the neighborhood of $350K. Jeez! Sadly I think we are due for some serious housing inflation with all the new transplants who are used to paying those sort of prices elsewhere. It was not long ago when $150K bought you an amazing house in these parts.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 PM

I agree with Deesonic. Huntsville or Madison just don't have many areas that are truly prestigious. We don't have a Mountainbrook or Belle Meade. It also works to our advantage-- we don't have many dire straits areas in Huntsville/Madison proper. It's all a hodgepodge of extremely nice, moderate, and yuck. And it's all a stone's-throw from one area. If we have any prestigous area anywhere, ti would def be Twickenham/Blossomwood. Prestigious FOR US.
But, we don't have any area that is zoned well enough to be a cohesive community. We're a hodgepodge. And, it is good in some ways. But, HC (where I live) is NOT anything grand. And Madison is not either. Plenty of grand. But, next door or next subdivision...not so much.
We lack zoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area