Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,600 times

Advertisements

Hi.

Been looking at this forum for quite a while - been living in Alabama for a good number of years, but now new to Huntsville for a few months now. Now in the process of looking for homes, have looked all over the city, particularly in East/SouthEast Huntsville and Research Park areas.

Wanted to get some feedback. I have looked at homes in the areas around UAH, particularly Sherwood Park and McThornmor Acres, great homes, can't beat that '50s and '60s quality! But it seems that this area gets a particularly bad rap insofar as crime and quality of schools. We have no kids, but plan on having them eventually. What's the story on those two neighborhoods? Been asking people, but I'm getting more negatives than positives.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 AM

934 posts, read 1,930,502 times
I would recommend the SE part of town, there are many 1960s/70s established neighborhoods there and the crime is still low AFIAK. I lived in SE Hsv for 12 years and enjoyed it very much. I was in the Willowbrook subdivision near Grissom HS.

If you work on RSA, Willowbrook is less than 15 minutes to almost any point on the Arsenal.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:15 AM

30 posts, read 91,940 times
If you are planning on children, you will be much more pleased with homes in SE Huntsville and with resale values later on down the road. Schools are the driving factor along with safety.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 PM

956 posts, read 2,490,030 times
benworth, I would call the police department and ask them about the crime statistics. You can also check area schools at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area