Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 04:55 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,257,159 times

Advertisements

Hey all! My DH and I are moving to Decatur on Sunday April 5th. My Husband starts his new job on Monday, so we need to find an extended stay hotel type of place until we (meaning ME, LOL) can find a house to rent (and then to be able to move all our "stuff). He will be working on Wilson Street close to (or in?) the historic area. I would appreciate it so much if someone could direct us to a decent hotel that has extended stay rates until we find "our" place. We initially thought the company was going to pay for us a hotel until we find a place, but it isn't looking good at this moment. Perhaps it was our misunderstanding.

Anyhow, I am very much looking forward to becoming y'alls new neighbor and am really excited to be moving to such a great place! (My next ques will be to ask some of y'all to invite us to your church!)

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:08 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,892,891 times
It's probably easier to find an extended stay hotel in Madison than in Decatur. It's not a bad (temporary) commute, figuring 15~20 minutes from 565 @ Wall Triana, (Wilson street is right off the bridge after you cross the river) which I see a couple of extended stay hotels available. It's an option.

Don't know much about Decatur, but I'd reckon you guys will probably not cook much while staying in a hotel. Madison will probably have more restaurants & malls for you guys when going out to eat, etc. :-)

Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,364,544 times
Kat, it's hard to say since I don't usually stay in a hotel in my own hometown! But there is a Home Town Suites on the Beltline. The reviews on tripadvisor are not that great, but I really don't think it's all that bad. The Jameson Inn next door has the best reviews. Some to stay away from: Ramada Limited, Stay Lodge (drug dealers and drug parties), American Inn and Nitefall (construction crews stay there, along with some hookers), and the Magnolia Motel, Mark Inn, and Studio 9 (Also listed as Super 8 on Johnston St.), all places that former prisoners go - either when they're released or escaped!

As far as hubby's commute - you're really not all that far from anything in Decatur. It should't take you too long to find a place to rent. There seems to be a lot of inventory out there. But if you want to be close to work, Country Inn and Suites and Holiday Inn are downtown. There is a Super 8 Downtown (on U.S. 31 AKA Sixth Avenue) that is new (sort of, it's a rebuilt hotel), but the room I saw looked pretty cheaply done.

Churches are a big part of life in Decatur, and a major way to connect! First Baptist and First Methodist downtown have lots of folks. Central Baptist just moved to a new campus. St. Ann Catholic is also in new digs. Decatur Baptist is a little more fundamental than First and Central and has the biggest congregation in Decatur. Calvary Assembly emphasizes diversity and charismatic outreach. There's a church for anybody, big or little, from Church of Christ to Disciples of Christ to Episcopal, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and independent. We don't have a Jewish synagogue, however (our Jewish population has never been big enough), or Muslim or Hindu, but they are not far away. You'd be welcome at any church!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:50 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,892,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Kat, it's hard to say since I don't usually stay in a hotel in my own hometown! But there is a Home Town Suites on the Beltline. The reviews on tripadvisor are not that great, but I really don't think it's all that bad. The Jameson Inn next door has the best reviews. Some to stay away from: Ramada Limited, Stay Lodge (drug dealers and drug parties), American Inn and Nitefall (construction crews stay there, along with some hookers), and the Magnolia Motel, Mark Inn, and Studio 9 (Also listed as Super 8 on Johnston St.), all places that former prisoners go - either when they're released or escaped!

All these great insights!!! From personal experience?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,364,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
All these great insights!!! From personal experience?
Cute.
No. I read the police reports in our local newspaper.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:12 PM

234 posts, read 705,931 times
Haha, don't listen to HB2HSV, there are more restaurants and amenities in Decatur. The best extended stay hotel would probably be the Home Town Suites. My grandfather spent the night there and it was nice enough, wasn't AWESOME, but it was clean and comfortable. The Jameson is pretty nice though. If you want the best hotel, go to the Holiday Inn on Alabama 20, definitely the best in town. The best place to look for a place to stay is on the northern end of the Beltline and downtown. All of those are located near good restaurants and are relatively safe. I think the one next to the Old State Bank is Country Inn and Suites. My aunt stayed there once, and it was pretty nice. It's near the downtown area on Bank Street which has probably the best restaurant in town. The hotels on the northern end of the Beltline are close to A LOT of places to eat, so you wouldn't have to worry about hunger over there.

Decatur actually has more churches per square mile than any other city in the country, so you'll be able to find one easily.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,257,159 times
Oh my! LOL..............Anyhow.....A sincere thanks! I really do appreciate the information on the hotels. Not being from Decatur, (Yet, by golly! LOL) I am wanting to be able to price check within the hotels that I would actually want to stay in.

Thanks also for the info on the churches. That will be a big part of our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area