Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:01 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times

Advertisements

The Toney area will be definitely good becuase Toney is both rural and surburban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 03:04 PM

166 posts, read 344,697 times
Thanks! My husband is actually in Alabama now for work and will be checking out the area so I'll be sure to mention it to him.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:58 PM

Ha! Now that's funny

Old 04-14-2009, 09:38 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Looking at the Redstone map, I would add another 10~15 minutes of driving once you're inside of gate. I work at the RSA too and sometime you'd expect another 10~15 minute wait at the gate just because of number of cars going in at that time.
Good Lord - this is not universally true. No doubt Gate 9 can be that bad or worse, but it's rare for me to be delayed more than 2-3 minutes at the gate, and I drive 5 minutes once inside.

If one were to live in Arab (one of the recommendations) or other points south of Huntsville, going in the Redstone Rd gate there is usually no wait, or perhaps 2-3 cars in front of you. There could be a long drive within the base from that gate, however.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,956,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
Good Lord - this is not universally true. No doubt Gate 9 can be that bad or worse, but it's rare for me to be delayed more than 2-3 minutes at the gate, and I drive 5 minutes once inside.

If one were to live in Arab (one of the recommendations) or other points south of Huntsville, going in the Redstone Rd gate there is usually no wait, or perhaps 2-3 cars in front of you. There could be a long drive within the base from that gate, however.
LOL... I didn't say it's universally true. I think I said "sometimes", or "expect", etc.

Anyone comes in on Gate 1 (Martin road on East side)? They've bee doing construction there so the traffic is really back-up to the point the over-flow is affecting Gate 9 (north side on Rideout road). I come in on Gate 7 (west side on Martin road) and sometime it's backed up a mile or so and upto 10~15 minutes delay.

Coming in from the Redstone road (south side) is a long drive to the most buildings in RSA, as you pointed out. So definitely plan a few extra minutes as they do have RSA security and they do give out speeding tickets.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 AM

99 posts, read 252,943 times
Have you thought about the Lacey's Springs/Vahlermosa (sp?) Springs area (basically just outside the city limits of Huntsville, to the south)? Just over the Tennesee River bridge, probably no more than 5-10 minutes to the RSA Gate--should be fairly light traffic out that way. Easy to get to town (Huntsville or Arab area). Not sure about schools though...? Anyone know?

I have heard tons of good things about Arab schools, so if you don't mind more of a drive, that might be a good choice.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:04 AM

426 posts, read 1,272,420 times
My OPINION is that the best overall combination for 1) schools 2) proximity to work and 3) the combination of the type of house/land/price she is looking for should be available in Madison County (Huntsville, Madison, Toney, Harvest, whatever). Plus I think resale potential would be better. If a person is not specifically looking for a small town (or country environment) then I don't think places like Arab and Lacey's Spring are going to be desirable. Decatur might be desirable but not places like Hartselle and Priceville.

Sitting back...waiting to be flamed...

Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Not specifically looking for small town country environment unless the right house, school, set-up for dogs and maybe even horses comes along, then great! I'd like to have horses but not sure on that one just yet, so not a major concern on the list. Mainly just a place not too far out with a couple of acres, nice house, that will let me have my kennel and good schools for the kids. That's not asking too much is it? Probably, I'm sure we'll have to make some sacrifices somewhere but I can hope and dream.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Anyone comes in on Gate 1 (Martin road on East side)? They've bee doing construction there so the traffic is really back-up ...
Gate 1 is finished - I went in that gate today and I timed it - got in line at the gate at 7:51 and was pulling into the parking lot of VBII at 7:57.

There were some bad backups right after they started the construction, but that has not been the case for months.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,418,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
My OPINION is that the best overall combination for 1) schools 2) proximity to work and 3) the combination of the type of house/land/price she is looking for should be available in Madison County (Huntsville, Madison, Toney, Harvest, whatever). Plus I think resale potential would be better. If a person is not specifically looking for a small town (or country environment) then I don't think places like Arab and Lacey's Spring are going to be desirable. Decatur might be desirable but not places like Hartselle and Priceville. Sitting back...waiting to be flamed...
Lacey's Spring - not a lot of "subdivisions" there, plus you have to drive a long way to get to a school - Cotaco Elementary and Brewer High. They're OK schools.

Priceville, though, is very close to the interstate, and has very good schools. Same system (Morgan County) but different schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area