Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:22 PM

60 posts, read 141,611 times

Advertisements

oh wow. all these things I hadn't even thought about... staff turnover, licensing with the state, how they warm milk... OK this is a whole new world of information! Thanks again for helping me open my eyes. It seems (and this is just me) that a lot of the households in Hampton Cove have a stay at home parent, so maybe this is why Hampton Cove Academy has a pseudo-monopoly on the area?

Also, from your comments, it looks like I'll be looking at some of the places near Research Park - in particular Primrose. It would be nice to be close by and be able to drop by over lunch.

I also think I'll look at that list of in home sitters as well (off the website listed above). Any opinions on how to approach it? Do you just call and arrange a time to visit?

Now here is a dumb question -- I am assuming that most places you pay by the week, regardless if your child is there for the entire week or not? For example, if I were to go on vacation for 5 days, I would still pay for day care to keep the spot, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:32 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,860,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretelB View Post
It seems (and this is just me) that a lot of the households in Hampton Cove have a stay at home parent, so maybe this is why Hampton Cove Academy has a pseudo-monopoly on the area?
I've been wondering the same thing. Certainly with the number of new developments (current and planned) there probably ought to be another major daycare...

Investors wanted.

Quote:
Now here is a dumb question -- I am assuming that most places you pay by the week, regardless if your child is there for the entire week or not? For example, if I were to go on vacation for 5 days, I would still pay for day care to keep the spot, right?
Yep, you pay by the week regardless of whether your child is there or not... or you can pay in advance. We pay $430 bi-weekly to Primrose for a 2 year old (25 mos).

Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 PM

60 posts, read 141,611 times
Oh my goodness. That is a boatload of $$.
(I will have repeat to myself.. "cheaper than D.C., cheaper than D.C." when I write that check!)

Old 04-14-2009, 03:23 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,415,146 times
Quote:
(I will have repeat to myself.. "cheaper than D.C., cheaper than D.C." when I write that check!)

It is cheaper than DC IF you come here with the DC salary, otherwise daycare eats up alot of a family's finances.

But to soften up the shock a bit, the infant services always and everywhere cost more (among other factors, low teacher-student ratio by state law-so additional staff, liability). The cost decreases as the child grows older (first year is guaranteed the most expensive+food/supplies from home).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretelB
I cannot say enough to you as you have shock after shock: Welcome to a working mother (parent) motherhood !
Yes, that's their "excuse": keep the spot. Moreover, get this, there are centers that follow the federal holiday calendar - yep, not only you don't get a credit for the additional days the school is closed, on top of that you need to take days off work or make other babysitting arrangements for the day - MLK day, Pres. day, Good friday, Columbus day, Veterans' day.

Wait, there's more: the registration fee ($100-$150) is paid every year, plus a supply fee ($60-$100) once a year -for toddlers/preschoolers (ya know for paper, crayons, glue, all that artwork they come jome with every day has to come out of somebody's pocket), and optionally - a fee for swimming, field trips-in pre-k.

One more thing, inquire about the sick policy too. Children cannot return to school if they are not symptom free for 24 hr (colds, diarrhea, and other contagious nuissances that kids spread around in a daycare setting).

Wish you the best... Aren't kids precious though?...

PS. in all fairness, you get a 10% for the second child enrolled, and so forth.

About the licensing-I used to fret alot about this. The non-licensed facilities (from DHR that is, Dept of Human Resources) STILL have to get a fire, building, health, food permit/license etc. The DHR establishes the teacher/student ratio for various age groups, immunizations up to date etc. Look it up. In my visits, there were centers that were exempt from DHR (church) but still followed the DHR guidelines (voluntarily). Again, I don't know anything about the home-based daycare businesses.

I keep forgetting and coming back to add: Visit the centers before the baby gets here, and get on the waiting list (some charge a $50 non-refundable fee, some apply it to the first week tuition), there are places you wait for months to get in (as I said before, and you very well noticed the SHAMs), there is not as much infant daycare services supply, as there is demand. Cheers.

Last edited by friday13; 04-14-2009 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 07:06 AM

122 posts, read 353,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
Premier has an infant room? I thought they don't take kids till 4 years old?

All of my kids have been there starting at 6-8 weeks. They have had an infant room for atleast the last 8 years.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 AM

34 posts, read 95,104 times
Quote:

The daycare in Huntsville is much cheaper than NOVA/DC. When I was in NOVA, it costed me $1,400 a month for my infant son.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,361 times
Red face Affordable childcare

Care to learn nw huntsville al on pike ave are taking all ages from 6 weeks and up only 65 dollars a child. Night shift available also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area