Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM

34 posts, read 125,334 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone

I live in Madison Park Drive, Madison 35758 since July 2008.

I have to register my kids to the public Kindergarden for 2009-2010 season.

Since today I was sure that I lived in Madison, because on the brochure of my residence is indicated as city Madison, because my zip code is a Madison zip code, because I receive regulary all my mail with Madison written on the envelope.

Today I went to a MAdison school that is 200 feet from my house and they said me that I am living in Huntsville!!!!!
For this reason they can accept my kid in the kindergarden. So I should have to go to Proveidence that is very far from my house!!!

I check in the website and having a look to the madison school zoning seems to be that everything on the left side of slaughter road, starting from madison boulevard, is Madison, the right area along the slaughter road is huntsville with very tiny exception, as my area!!!!

I am asking to myself how is possible??

Do I have to go 15 miles away from my house everyday, even if I have the school in front of my home??

I think that could possible apply with exemption to the Madison school, because I am not an american person, but an italian army officer, that will live for 2 years in Madison (or Huntsville??!!).

Is there someone that has got some advices/ideas???

Thank you

Ezio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:12 PM

433 posts, read 1,769,857 times
Unfortunately you should have verified that with the school district before you moved. If you moved into an apartment the complex should know what school the kids go to and if you purchased the realtor should know but they don't always get it right. If you had gone to the Madison City schools website they have a street listing of where each street goes to school.

I think you are out of luck. You won't get an exception because you are paying taxes to huntsville not Madison City. At least that's how I see it.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:59 PM

36 posts, read 92,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavadicane View Post
Hello to everyone

I live in Madison Park Drive, Madison 35758 since July 2008.

I have to register my kids to the public Kindergarden for 2009-2010 season.

Since today I was sure that I lived in Madison, because on the brochure of my residence is indicated as city Madison, because my zip code is a Madison zip code, because I receive regulary all my mail with Madison written on the envelope.

Today I went to a MAdison school that is 200 feet from my house and they said me that I am living in Huntsville!!!!!
For this reason they can accept my kid in the kindergarden. So I should have to go to Proveidence that is very far from my house!!!

I check in the website and having a look to the madison school zoning seems to be that everything on the left side of slaughter road, starting from madison boulevard, is Madison, the right area along the slaughter road is huntsville with very tiny exception, as my area!!!!

I am asking to myself how is possible??

Do I have to go 15 miles away from my house everyday, even if I have the school in front of my home??

I think that could possible apply with exemption to the Madison school, because I am not an american person, but an italian army officer, that will live for 2 years in Madison (or Huntsville??!!).

Is there someone that has got some advices/ideas???

Thank you

Ezio

You may have a "Madison" address, even zip code, but that just indicates you are serviced by the Madison Post office.
Madison city will not allow ANY child outside the city limits. Period. No exceptions. But from where you are located you should be zoned either Williams or Providence.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:14 AM

129 posts, read 433,083 times
I have the same problem, and I understand your frustration completely. I too, thought I lived in Madison, but apparently not. It's beyond stupid. I will certainly be sure that when we buy a home, that I am smack-dab in the middle of the Madison district. But then I should double check, and triple check, and MAKE SURE since lord knows, you can't trust your address..RETARDED.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:57 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanllabean81 View Post
I have the same problem, and I understand your frustration completely. I too, thought I lived in Madison, but apparently not. It's beyond stupid. I will certainly be sure that when we buy a home, that I am smack-dab in the middle of the Madison district. But then I should double check, and triple check, and MAKE SURE since lord knows, you can't trust your address..RETARDED.

When you buy a home in Madison, be sure to check the elementary schools out as well. The district as a whole is excellent, but there are pockets that aren't as good and that impacts the schools. Go to the schools' websites and check out their programs etc. See how many children are receiving extra services. This will be an indicator to you about the school population as a whole. Also, be very careful when you buy. New developments that aren't completed carry huge problems with the HOA Covenants and Restrictions being used by developers as a means to protect themselves financially rather than the homeowners (for which the documents should be intended).

As far as driving to the school--I did it for years. The first school my daughter was zoned for wasn't a great one, but in my opinion, up until the end of 2nd grade, the only thing that matters is parent involvement and interaction during the school day as well as enrichment after hours/during the weekend.

Once they hit 3rd/4th grade, peers do begin to matter a lot. This impacts their education in the classroom. If 80% of the students don't come from homes where education is important and the children aren't encouraged, then the teachers have to focus more attention on them rather than on your child.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
You could check out magnet schools--they might allow for your child to go somewhere other than the zoned school--but again till they start 3rd grade, I don't think the school matters as much as the parents being involved.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:04 AM

129 posts, read 433,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkarma View Post
You may have a "Madison" address, even zip code, but that just indicates you are serviced by the Madison Post office.
Madison city will not allow ANY child outside the city limits. Period. No exceptions. But from where you are located you should be zoned either Williams or Providence.
You're child can probably take the bus, like mine does. It sounds like we live very close to each other, and the upside here is that the Providence bus comes right up outside our apartment door and picks up my son. So he doesn't have to walk to or from the bus stop. That is something that I really appreciate. All you have to do is call the bus company. The school can give you the phone number, and they just take your name and address and then they'll pick up your child. The bus driver asked me where I would like him to drop off/pickup my son, so we told him right out front. It's really nice, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area