Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:25 PM

13 posts, read 49,810 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are applying for jobs in Huntsville. We currently live in Dothan. I think the fact that we do not currently live in Huntsville is detering some employers from contacting us. We are both college educated with excellent employment histories. I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem? I can understand the concern an employer might feel, but we are really determined to get up there. If nothing happens, we may have to spend a view days in Huntsville passing out resumes and just letting employers know we're serious. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 02:08 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tljolley View Post
My husband and I are applying for jobs in Huntsville. We currently live in Dothan. I think the fact that we do not currently live in Huntsville is detering some employers from contacting us. We are both college educated with excellent employment histories. I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem? I can understand the concern an employer might feel, but we are really determined to get up there. If nothing happens, we may have to spend a view days in Huntsville passing out resumes and just letting employers know we're serious. Any suggestions?

Do this test: Do you know anybody here whose address you can put on the resume (assuming this is what puts employers off in the first phase of screening)? See if you get responses this way.

All you need is to be called for an interview, even if you lived in Hsv, you wouldn't be guaranteed a job if they didn't feel you were a fit for them. "Discrimination" on location shouldn't be happening. Even if you "camp" out here for a while, you do not have any guarantees you will be hired. Coming here and passing out resume has no effect whatsoever, if the job announcement says "emails only, on-line application only"

Landing a job could take months, and there's no way you can conveniently "schedule" your interviews in a set period of time. If they really want you, they'll work with you, you can have a phone interview (at least the first one-with HR screening people), video conference, and then, as things progress you may need to drive out here for another interview), technology is our friend nowadays (in this instance-communication).

Not to burst your bubble: It may not be worth to companies spending time and resources on a long-distance recruiting for entry-level, young professionals, when they can readily get someone locally if need be. I'm not saying it's not possible, but not that often happening. (usually 7+ yrs of (preferably) direct experience in the position you apply for put you in a whole other league-more like senior-level, and then, employers talk to you differently-not necessarily relocation pay, but at least willing to give you a chance for an interview past the fact you are living across state).

You didn't say what field of work you're in. Look at how the majority of people (engineers) came here-relocation, transfers. If your mind is set on Hsv, you (or spouse) may need to come here and live with friends, relatives, rent, for a few good weeks, months before the other spouse joins (if financially that's the case-that is if you need to have a job first before you pick up and leave Dothan)

The above is not always true, but more than usually is-take me-I flew in 5yrs ago from up north for an interview for a "menial" (pun intended-I use the term as opposed to a highly skilled, 15+yrs under the belt direct experience big shot manager, director, "chief of") with a compny that nowadays is taking its last breaths and never heard from them after that first (and last) interview-literally, I followed up with them to exhaustion and finally gave up. Glad I did.

I would say give your job search from where you are more time. And use your connections to death if you have them. They can better explain your willingness to come here while handing over your resume than if you had come here and stayed at a hotel and passed up resumes (where, to whom, how?)

Last edited by friday13; 04-16-2009 at 02:55 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 02:14 PM

Great perspective! Thanks for the information and ideas. My husband has a bachelors degree in accounting and has spent the last 3 years in the aerospace industry as a cost analyst, price analyst, and now accounting manager, hence his desire to move to Huntsville.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Great perspective! Thanks for the information and ideas. My husband has a bachelors degree in accounting and has spent the last 3 years in the aerospace industry as a cost analyst, price analyst, and now accounting manager, hence his desire to move to Huntsville.

accounting in manufacturing here is almost dead for the obvious reasons-manufacturing (production) is dying- laid off people from these companies are scrambling to get a job elsewhere- is not being easy when you've been working your entire life in one industry.

your hubby has an edge because of his aerospace background, and the type of jobs (accounting specialties) he held. Cost and price analysts are very sought after. Accounting managers-there can only be so many--there's one manager to 3-10 "little" people, right?

but usajobs.gov should be a nice starting point. Post your resume there and let yourself be found (reached by interested employers). One more thing: there is a whole long, tedious process with the direct government hiring-job is open for applications for 1-2 months, screening, interview, background check on and on, but once you're in be happy), have patience. Defense contractors is an easier process.

Last edited by friday13; 04-16-2009 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 02:42 PM

59 posts, read 183,230 times
Quote:

Do you really suspect that it's about not living in the town? It sounds like you're being rather harsh on yourselves. Your situation with respect to sending out many resumes, and not getting responses is common all over the country as this terrible job market is pounding a lot of people. I work on Wall Street, and I'm barely hanging on to my job as I watch company after company shred thousands of them. I watch the financial channels all day long reporting massive job loss numbers in all sectors throughout the country. I doubt that I'm going to get through the year myself.

Regardless of any positive news coming out about the bottom of this recession; jobs always take a considerable amount of time to come back. It's brutal out there, and this job market is not sparing anyone regardless of education, work experience or skill level.

Good luck to both you and your husband, and keep your spirits strong.

Last edited by oleinnout; 04-16-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,956,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleinnout View Post

Good luck to both you and your husband, and keep your spirits strong.
That's an EXCELLENT well-wish especially coming from someone who's worry about losing his/her own job. Kudos.

There's an old "rule of thumb" for job hunting, it takes ~ 1 month for every $10K of your annual salary to find a job.

That was almost 15 yrs ago when I first heard it. I suspect it takes much longer now considering how the economy is doing.

So take a breather, continue to do ALL that you can in getting the first job interview. Do the networking, go to major employers' website and submit resumes, go to job search website, e.g., monster, careerbuilder, but also look into professional networking website such as LinkedIn (they do post job openings there within a specific city). Call friends ask for referrals, then call them and ask for referrals, etc.

Do the above with pleasant attitude (not pushy) and don't sound desperate (I am willing to fly up/ drive up for free, etc.). Everyone understand finding a job is important but nobody wants to be put under the pressure of desperation.

Personally I think most medium to big companies who're interested in you as an employee will have no problem to reimbursement you for the cost of coming in for interview. In fact, I believe this is a part of policy. Put it this way, if a company is going to worry about a couple of hundred dollars of hotel expenses (in your situation), I'd worry about how stingy they will be when it comes to salary negotiation and do I really want to work for that company? Some companies just conduct phone interview first to see if they want to bring you in for a F2F interview. In any case, be pleasant and flexible and have a positive attitude. There's really no hard decision to make until you have that first offer in hand, then it's time to turn up a notch as far as salary negotiation goes .

Keep plugging it away. Keep your spirit up. That next employer will be so lucky to have you because of what you can do for them.

You're not asking for a handout, you're offerring the next employer an opportunity to be better/stronger by having you on their team.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:24 PM

you know, I guess I was looking at the amount of job advertisements and not the amount of job applicants! when I search for job openings, there seems to be numerous available jobs, but I'm sure that only pales in comparison to the number of applicants vying for that position! Thanks for opening my eyes

Old 04-16-2009, 03:27 PM

And good luck to you!

Old 04-16-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
There's an old "rule of thumb" for job hunting, it takes ~ 1 month for every $10K of your annual salary to find a job.
That's darn scary. I've never been in a situation like this, but if that's true (for the most part), I surely wish I were the exception (land my $120k dream job in only couple months -->> just a far-fetched fantasy of mine-the $120k job that is).

But it's good to know and be prepared, at least have something to "blame" on if the job search extends to forever-land.

That's why I usually pick up and leave to greener pastures on my own (while I have a job). I am not by any means a job hopper, just on the lookout for better opportunities.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:49 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,956,826 times
That's why the best time to look for a job is when you still have a job.

But even a 'sure thing' can take as long as 4 ~ 6 months (not in all cases), based on my own experience. For example, I knew this company that wanted me but from the time of submitting resume, phone interview, fly in F2F interview, job offer, negotiation, another negotiation, and final offer. At the end, I did not take the offer but if I did, figure another ~2 months for relocation. So it all take time and it's better to plan it out ahead if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area