Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:15 PM

56 posts, read 162,199 times

Advertisements

Wow looks nice up there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 08:18 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,570 times
Anyone have any cityscapes to show? Thanks

Old 07-21-2007, 01:53 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
I only have some old houses and countryside...wasn't trying to take artful images this time (sorry to say), only I want to remember this (how close were the hills to town, etc.) since we were doing another scouting trip and I needed to be able to compare regions as we traveled from state to state.

Trails - seems to me that yes, there were ample trails. My 3 year old really enjoyed that park.

Check this out:
LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near Huntsville, Alabama

It was nice up there. The people were nice. A very charming place to live. The land is either level meadow or rolling, and with a taste of large hills/small mountains - call 'em what you will. What I posted are two separate places...the Park and where I think we were headed east out of town when I took the grazing field shots. Somewhere in that folder I have a shot of a historical account of the area - something about Decatur or Madison and a County situation way back when...maybe a resident can correctly name it.

Take a quick drive North or East to get to the bigger stuff.

I did not think I'd like it (hot as FL., tornadoes, no snow)...but Huntsville wound up winning over Greenville, S.C.

Really liked it.

It looks like we're moving there.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:34 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times

We do get snow occassionally, just enough in 06 to make my teenage grandson's happy but my cats were a different story since they had never seen now before.

While it is as hot as FL here during the summer and sometimes hotter, the humidity is usually lower. Yes, it is hot but to me it isn't nearly as bad as FL.
Here are some pictures I took,, no laughing now...
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotos/6939.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotos/78d7.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotos/1474.jpg

Last edited by Keeper; 07-21-2007 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: link

Old 07-21-2007, 09:59 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,281 times
Keeper, those pictures are gorgeous. (Of course, part of me is thinking "eek! Eek! Those guys are going to be covered with ticks!) I have this paranoid sense that the ticks will burrow their tiny disgusting heads into your flesh en masse if you step foot in the forest.

I love the idea of snow there in N. Alabama. Living in California, I've always wanted to live with some snow, but was turned off by the idea of shoveling myself out of 12 feet of it every day. N. Alabama snow sounds perfect - enough to enjoy but not enough to make most of winter a chore.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:43 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post

We do get snow occassionally, just enough in 06 to make my teenage grandson's happy but my cats were a different story since they had never seen now before.

While it is as hot as FL here during the summer and sometimes hotter, the humidity is usually lower. Yes, it is hot but to me it isn't nearly as bad as FL.
Here are some pictures I took,, no laughing now...
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotos/6939.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotos/78d7.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotos/1474.jpg
Yes, gotta second the bonus of DRY HEAT. Makes a huge difference.

Snow...I haven't built a snowman in 30 years...would really like to be able to show my toddler how. Keeping my fingers crossed, and worse come to worst, will jot up to Tennessee with my toboggan.

Keeper, your pictures made me all fuzzy. If you have a hankering for flat sand, I can show you some of that.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:21 AM

I can report that the boys did not get any ticks on them the day they went exploring. I had taken them to show them the water coming out of the mountain. They had never seen anything like that but being boys they were more interested in climbing to the top.. People still fill up water bottles at this spring although I saw something brown and furry scurry into the rock where the water was coming from so I didn't drink it.
Today we are going to Cathederal Caverns not too far from H'ville. While I was looking forward to the cool weather in the cave, this morning it was 63 when I got up...

Old 07-22-2007, 09:50 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,281 times
Quote:
Yes, gotta second the bonus of DRY HEAT. Makes a huge difference.
I'm still looking forward to *some* humidity. Everyone talks about dry heat being better, blah blah blah, but I'm not exaggerating when I say the "dry" heat here in California affects my husband's skin so horribly that it will literally crack and bleed. He has eczema so he's prone to it, and has lived in California all his life. His knuckles are more scar tissue than anything from having to live with it all his life. He's actually looking forward to some humidity.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 AM

Zenjen.. when I say 'drier' I meant the humidity isn't 90-100 percent everyday like it is in FL. It isn't like AZ here... but humidity is normally around 60 percent

Old 07-23-2007, 07:37 AM

180 posts, read 805,642 times
Does anyone have pictures of the fall colors? Do most trees up in that region turn yellow and red? I bought a small piece of property last year in somerville which has a large variety of hard woods. I was hoping to come up this year to see the fall color change but will have to wait another year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area