Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:48 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,950,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Did you order it from Australia? Maybe it thinks it is autumn and is six months out of phase.

My crepes are green and leafy.
No. I think it's from TN or OH, IL ... damn thing is still sleeping !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 05:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
No. I think it's from TN or OH, IL ... damn thing is still sleeping !
I talked to the guy that sold you the tree

but when he took me to his tree farm, I became a little suspicious

Old 05-07-2009, 06:36 PM

426 posts, read 1,272,214 times
Quote:
It's suppose to be a red one I ordered it online. It came as bare root.

I'll make cuts tonight.
If it's green then at least you'll know it's alive. They are generally hardy.

They will sometimes still come out of the root stock even if the canes are dead. When did you plant it ? When we had that really late (awful) freeze in 2007 I thought I'd lost a William Toovey crepe myrtle and it appeared to be "gone" for a while then it came up later in the summer, out of the roots. So, all is not lost. Yet.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
If it's green then at least you'll know it's alive. They are generally hardy.

They will sometimes still come out of the root stock even if the canes are dead. When did you plant it ?

Well (sheepish grin) it's not planted yet. It has bare root so I just put it in a bucket of water waiting for it to sprout leaves.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:04 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
Quote:
Well (sheepish grin) it's not planted yet. It has bare root so I just put it in a bucket of water waiting for it to sprout leaves.
What am I going to do with you????

Get that sucker in the ground. It's dormant. It drinks from the bucket for one night and then HB2HSV digs another very deep hole, waters, plants with good soil...

Uh...how long has it been in the bucket? (Cringing)

Oh, BTW - have three Crepes. The large one on the North starting leafing out last week...the smaller one to the South last w/e and the tiny one closest to the easement - literally, two days ago. Unfortunately they are all purplish. I like purple, but some diversity would have been nice.

One bonus - when we moved in, there was a HUGE pot with some sort of sorry looking tree in it...kinda dead. Had, oh, two damaged leaves on it. Looked awful. Sticks in clay. No real soil. I guess that's why they left it. So I cared for it, moved it to another location, gave it water...and this spring - gads - A FLOWER! Dude - it's a MAGNOLIA! One of those tulip, saucer...the smaller magenta/purple kind - not the big, dark-leaved, white flowered variety I'm used to. But, how cool, a free tree. Good tree!

So I planted her on the North side...pick ax/monster hole again, and she went from sad to very happy in about three days. Zoom. Is full of healthy green leaves and gave me another flower. Rain is goooood.

Last edited by 33458; 05-08-2009 at 12:13 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 04:25 AM

567 posts, read 1,743,745 times
I took a compact tack excavator home and lifted my mower out of the rutts. Man it is still to wet to mow in some spots.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:58 AM

426 posts, read 1,272,214 times
Quote:
Hmmm....planting in the ground might be a good idea. That could help. Actually, this weekend would be a good time to plant as the ground is easy to dig from all the rain.

Grab a shovel, find a nice sunny spot and get to work!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
What am I going to do with you????

Get that sucker in the ground. It's dormant. It drinks from the bucket for one night and then HB2HSV digs another very deep hole, waters, plants with good soil...

Uh...how long has it been in the bucket? (Cringing)
Good news. I checked last night and a little branch with green leaf is growing! Also several green buds are beginning to show.

I hate to whine & squeal like a new jail cellmate to bubba, but this alabama clay is PITA to dig! Wednesday after work I dug a new hole for one of my roses, roughly 1' deep by 3' diameter, and I came up with 20 lbm of limestone rocks!

This weekend I am going to rent myself a manly machine to dig holes.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:55 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
this alabama clay is PITA to dig!
I learned that repairing some sprinkler heads and PVC pipe recently.

We're having 12 one gallon bushes planted. I was going to do it myself but a landscaper will do all the prep, weeding, digging and planting for $100.

I told him to go right ahead, it's worth it.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

We're having 12 one gallon bushes planted. I was going to do it myself but a landscaper will do all the prep, weeding, digging and planting for $100.

I told him to go right ahead, it's worth it.
DM me this guy's name & contact info. I just might have some work for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area