Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:54 PM

81 posts, read 278,390 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Johnson City, TN to Madison/Huntsville, AL. I am looking for a gym that offers spin classes and group power or power lift classes, really just a bar weight lifting class set to music. It must have child care as well. Can anyone tell me if there is such a place in the Madison/Huntsville Area.

If you know of any Gyms you would not recommend please let me know that as well.

Thanks,
Misty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 05:15 PM

22 posts, read 48,809 times
Ha-ha, I always was wondering if people in AL are interested in such a thing as GYM. According to my observations, not too many of them.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:22 PM

426 posts, read 1,266,638 times
HaHa...calming tea. Very funny

Both Madison Wellness Center and University Fitness Center (on the campus of the University of Alabama in Huntsville) are nice facilities and offer multiple spinning classes. I have the current schedules for both and there are spinning classes offered every day of the week. You won't find a Muscleworks or Body Pump type class at Madison Wellness Center (I can't remember one being offered in recent years) but Muscleworks is offered every day of the week at UFC--no bars currently used, however. Free weights and tubes, etc. They do have them and the instructors change their routines so maybe someday...
Both have childcare/playcare but I believe that MWC has more limited hours.

Last edited by gsp4ever; 05-09-2009 at 05:40 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 05:27 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,453,139 times
YMCA (Weatherly) has free (my favorite word in the world) child care.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:22 PM

Is Weatherly close to Madison/Huntsville?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistybader View Post
Is Weatherly close to Madison/Huntsville?
Weatherly is the name of a road in Southeast Huntsville. Where will you be living? If you are living in Madison (or some areas of Huntsville), the Y on Weatherly Road would not be a convenient location. Give us an idea of where you will be living and/or working and we may be able to give you some more suggestions.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:36 PM

871 posts, read 2,873,522 times
I hear Bender's is good on Hughes...
Welcome to Bender's Gym - Alabama's 24 Hour Fitness Facility

Old 05-09-2009, 08:43 PM

We are looking at Lake Forest and the Researve right now. They are both near Zeirt and Martin I believe. I don't think Bender's has Child Care. I would love to find a YMCA. I used the YMCA in Nashville and loved it. They don't have them here in JC.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:01 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,778,307 times
Quote:
We are looking at Lake Forest and the Researve right now. They are both near Zeirt and Martin I believe. I don't think Bender's has Child Care. I would love to find a YMCA. I used the YMCA in Nashville and loved it. They don't have them here in JC.
We currently have the YMCA Southeast on Weatherly, which is nice. It has a great pool, indoor basketball courts, indoor walking/running track, nice weights/cardio area and a great daycare facility which is an indoor jungle gym...pretty cool. We have a new YMCA express downtown. It is basically weights, cardio and classes. They also have a daycare. It is probably the nicest, more tech advanced gym I've been to but it is smaller than most Ys. Another YMCA is being built in Madison, the plans for it look incredible.

The University Fitness Center is a really nice gym. They have nice daycare facilities, a wide range of classes offered, indoor track and basketball courts, indoor pool...

Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Well, you're looking at some nice places to live in a very convenient location. There will be a new YMCA built in Madison and it won't be too far from the places you mention. Apparently, ground has been broken but the construction will not be finished for a while. The YMCA on Weatherly road would not be a convenient location, at all. I'm thinking 20-30 minute drive from where you are thinking about living.

Consider looking at University Fitness Center. Should be less than 10 minutes from where you will be living. Very convenient and easy drive. They have a great facility and do a really nice job with their classes.

Madison Wellness Center wouldn't be quite as convenient. Probably a 15 minute drive (it's on Hwy 72 at Balch Road). If you are a member of the Wellness Centers you can use all three centers in town which is nice, but overall I find their facilities to be inferior to UFC. However, I find the staff of the Wellness Center to be a bit superior as they are employees of Huntsville Hospital and tend to be exercise physiologists, dieticians, etc.

Last edited by gsp4ever; 05-09-2009 at 11:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area