Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,490 times

Advertisements

Typical thoughts may view this as more of a racial issue or divide. I think it is just a prospective or insight into how groups or individuals look at a community and desire to seek some initial level of acceptance and belonging. If you were moving into a predominately black or asian area would asking other whites similar questions be anything other than natural. Arguably, one could say doors open wider and more quickly within familiarity. Off example: SP made a speach and the next morning America overwhemingly accepted and embraced. BO path was similar, but it took substantially longer and harder efforts for as many doors to open. I feel the initial post was information and not racial based. I dont see malice and hopefully some will rethink some of the stereotypical based comments. Huntsville from all the comments I've read has much to offer and enjoy for the vast majority of all residents.

Last edited by thatperson; 05-14-2009 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Does anyone think that, in the future, Huntsville will become a small mecca for blacks?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Does anyone think that, in the future, Huntsville will become a small mecca for blacks?
Probably not. It seems the people that are coming to Huntsville aren't coming for cultural reasons but for jobs and the technology center that is Huntsville and the Redstone Arsenal and Research Park.

Where is Huntsville growing?
Who are (have been) buying the homes?
What are their demographics?
What do they do for a living?
Where are they moving from?

Do the answers of any of these questions support a mecca of any kind other than technology employment?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:48 PM

I asked that because Atlanta is mecca for black businesses. Since Huntsville is a good place to start a business, you don't think maybe Huntsville can become a small black mecca?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I asked that because Atlanta is mecca for black businesses. Since Huntsville is a good place to start a business, you don't think maybe Huntsville can become a small black mecca?
What do you mean by mecca? Majority? Maybe it already is? Maybe the independent (mom and pop) businesses in this town have a common characteristic.

You might want to talk to an economic geographer or the chamber of commerce for some statistics. I doubt City Data forum posters have this kind of detailed information.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:09 PM

From any person's view of everyday activity and life in Huntsville....................is it obvious that a small black mecca is in the making?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
From any person's view of everyday activity and life in Huntsville....................is it obvious that a small black mecca is in the making?
Not to me, but I have only been here since August and my survey of Huntsville is limited: work, home, kids activities near home or at places like soccer fields, grocery store, Bridge Street, a couple restaurants, not much else. I've been through downtown maybe ten times. I've been to the NW section maybe three times, just for my kid's basketball games.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 AM

889 posts, read 2,398,647 times
Quote:
a small black mecca
Would you say Huntsville is currently a small white mecca now? What does that even mean? Mecca for business? And how can Mecca be small? Do you know where or what Mecca is? Mecca lecca hi mecca hiney ho!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 AM

359 posts, read 1,312,599 times
Default You are so damn right!

And you'd have to try and miss your pint on purpose NOT to get it! I'm so sick of people trying to defend the horrid rap ****. It certainly as we know it today is not a representation of what we KNOW to be Black Art. And to always give us a history lesson on its origins is so lame. We all know that it STARTED out being a wonderful conscious vehicle to highlight some of the ills of our society. And on the other side it could be just pure fun. I know because I was there, I don't need an article. The garbage masquerading as rap today in no way shape or form can be considered to be nothing more than mind garbage that has brought more destruction to the our community than enlightenment. And for sure it ain't ART.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
You have misunderstood my point completely. Have you been to any other black arts festivals before? I have been to a ton of them all I'm saying is the "Black Arts festival" in Huntsville is nothing like the ones I've been to, and I just don't consider rap especially the more degrading forms to be black art, it is more so black entertainment than art in its current form and there's a difference. I'm well aware of the historical history of hip hop but the art festival here does nothing that would remember the roots of any positive hip hop. The black arts fesitval's I've been to have a lot more cultural stuff, music, dance, film stuff that you really think of as art that has African American roots not just rap. If you don't know what I'm talking about go visit one in another city. I know most of these cities are bigger than Huntsville but I've even been to ones in smaller cities and they were more like what's described at the festivals in the links I posted, there's nothing culturally rich about Huntsville's black arts festival. Bonecrusher with shirt off and people riding down the street on top of cars yelling and acting a fool, hardly qualifies as culturally rich in my book other black festivals aren't like this garbage here.

Visit these websites to see what a real black arts festival looks like if you don't know

The National Black Arts Festival (NBAF) - a year-round cultural celebration
African World Festival, Aug 19-21; Detroit - Absolute Michigan
National Black Arts Festival - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-20-2009, 01:38 AM

359 posts, read 1,312,599 times
Default Who knows and who cares...

One of the WORST ideas that ever was.That idea was the death of Black folks. IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInMadison View Post
Whatever happened to integration...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area