Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:46 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times

Advertisements

Recently, I was in Madison Square Mall on a Sunday afternoon to visit the Nextel/Sprint store. It was one of those weekends that it rained and rained and rained. I could not believe how deserted this mall was on a rainy Sunday. I kept seeing the same people walking around and around, but they weren't carrying any packages. Most of them were mall walkers.

I was told that Parkway Place Mall was the same way before the monster renovation that gave us the mall it is today. Personally, Parkway Place is my choice for mall shopping. Not too big, not too small. If there were a Target attached it would be perfect for me.

I'm just not that impressed with Bridge Street. I like the open air malls in California (I think BSt was modeled after them) but in Alabama, it just doesn't work for me. Summer you go in a store where it is really cool (temperature) then you go back out in the heat. Hot/cold everytime you go in and out of a store. Same in the winter except in reverse. It just doesn't work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:39 PM

402 posts, read 853,119 times
Default pretty nice

I was at the madison square mall the other day (for the first time), and liked it. Maybe it wasn't "packed", but it is still pretty nice.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:49 PM

567 posts, read 1,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
I was at the madison square mall the other day (for the first time), and liked it. Maybe it wasn't "packed", but it is still pretty nice.
We went about a month ago on a rainy day and saw quite of few people. They were all carrying bags.

Last edited by Sarges Dad; 06-07-2009 at 07:05 PM..

Old 06-08-2009, 06:06 AM

205 posts, read 590,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarges Dad View Post
I grew up in Harvey Illinois and Dixie Square Mall was one of the first indoor Mall's in the country. It is sitting there in ruins since the 70's. They reopened to film the car chase in the movie Blues Brothers. Now trees are growing through the roof.
Wow, that looks a lot like some of the Mayan ruins I have seen in Central America!

Sad. I haven't been in the mall for a long time, but sometimes I do want to see what I am getting. I don't like Bridgestreet. I feel like my car isn't good enough for the lot! (We downsized to a 2006 Scion XB, a 1999 Miata and a 2000 Ford F250).

Old 06-08-2009, 08:01 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
LOL, that would be a car upgrade for us.

I'm surprised McFarland is still around. It was a dump in the 1980s. Now that there is some history on them, malls look more and more like the model used for the multiplex theatres. They open with great fanfare, get huge crowds for a while, then the crowds drop off and maintenance starts to get deferred, and they eventually sit abandoned. Lifespan varies according to the area and the level of interest.

Eastwood Mall in B'ham was the one that always sticks out in my mind. It had so much going for it, but eventually suffered the same fate.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:45 PM

144 posts, read 277,991 times
I prefer Parkway Place over Madison. It just seems nicer in the interior. If Madison Square got a Macy's, I would be there weekly. To me, the only reason to go tio MS is if you need to go to Sears or Penney's and then I just park at the store and don't walk through the mall. I was so happy when Bridge Street opened. It is worth it just to have such a nice movie theater.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:17 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm surprised McFarland is still around.
Was in Tuscaloosa weekend before last, and the entire mall looked shut down except for Sticks-n-Stuff in the old Woolco (to show my age) location.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:16 PM

346 posts, read 851,230 times
I'm originally from Tuscaloosa and IMO I agree that Madison Square is starting to downward spiral like McFarland Mall did. Dillard's closed at McFarland last summer and Goody's naturally followed suit recently. According to my friends and family whatever life was in it, is definitely headed for the pits. It's been doing that for years and with the addition of Midtown there and new stores opening in University Mall...it's only a matter of time before it closes.

Some large anchor stores in Madison Square would help it so much, are people really wanting it to close and have Parkway Place be the only mall? Sure seems that way!!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:24 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
What can the public do to help bring life to MS?

Old 06-09-2009, 06:35 PM

567 posts, read 1,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
What can the public do to help bring life to MS?
Shop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area