Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:29 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamachic80 View Post
I'm originally from Tuscaloosa and IMO I agree that Madison Square is starting to downward spiral like McFarland Mall did. Dillard's closed at McFarland last summer and Goody's naturally followed suit recently. According to my friends and family whatever life was in it, is definitely headed for the pits. It's been doing that for years and with the addition of Midtown there and new stores opening in University Mall...it's only a matter of time before it closes.

Some large anchor stores in Madison Square would help it so much, are people really wanting it to close and have Parkway Place be the only mall? Sure seems that way!!
The comparisons with McFarland Mall are ridiculous.. McFarland.. McFarland mall in my opinion never had much of anything, once the economy recovers I think its more likely that Huntsville can support two malls and a lifestyle center. It may take some reinvented but Madison Square is the largest mall in North Alabama it will never die completely the way McFarland has unless another shopping center like the mega one propsed in Madison near county line is actually built in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 PM

8 posts, read 17,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarges Dad View Post
Shop there.
lol

From what information I've gleaned from store owners, when MS decided to go forth with their renovation/remodeling project, it caused rent prices to skyrocket.

And I know I'm probably just repeating what's been said about the economy and such, but lack of customers+online (and offline) competition+high rent=dead mall.

It's kinda sad, really. I spent the better part of my college years roaming about that place inbetween classes.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:11 AM

567 posts, read 1,743,745 times
The last few times I shopped her they were running sales everywhere.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:09 AM

286 posts, read 1,085,719 times
Whenever I hear about Bridgestreet it is usually just about the movie theater there. That is the only thing people go on and on about that place. "You can drink wine, and they have a 'VIP' area (which anyone can access)....."

Only once have we shopped there. It was at Swarovski, and the purchases we made there were on impulse. Spent $700 on jewelry. Never been back since except to just walk around on two other occasions. We park, walk in, then after reaching the other end, we turn back around and go back to the car telling ouselves 'never again.' Hopefully there won't be a 3rd time. Absolutely no point.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:26 AM

379 posts, read 848,883 times
I hope Madison Square Mall does not go the way of the Mall Of Memphis. The Mall of Memphis used to be the premiere mall in Memphis, but in its later years became known as the "Mall Of Murder".

The Mall Of Memphis : Remembering the Marketplace of the Midsouth | Main / HomePage

Old 06-12-2009, 11:29 PM

283 posts, read 375,184 times
Bridge Street really took the wind out of Madison Square's sails when it first opened. Even though it mainly consists of higher-end shops, I expect a few mainstream merchants to pull up stakes and stake a claim. Barnes and Noble recently moved there from the old University Drive location and I think Old Navy did the same. I think the location also plays a factor (located right off of Research Park Blvd/AL 255 and Old Madison Pike, with quicker access to the Arsenal and I-565). And I won't even go into the Monaco and how it's left MS's movie theatre nearly abandoned. The whole teenager chaperone thing was mentioned -- that was due to a number of fights and other events I assume happened amongst teens roaming the malls by themselves. Now they see Bridge Street as the place to be anyways, leaving MS with considerably less traffic.

I wouldn't want it to go the route of Western Hills in Fairfield (enclave of largely ethnic non-name brand shops) or Century Plaza (sadly dead), but unless the owners start giving incentives for new shops, that just might happen.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:30 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Don't forget that Bridge Street opening was a second blow in a couple of short years to Madison Square.
I think Parkway City mall opening hit it harder than Bridge Street did; it's stores are in more direct competition with Madison Square's than Bridge Street's are. Couple those new malls with the (continued) development of Jones Valley/Hampton Cove areas and yeah, that's a lot of business being siphoned off.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 PM

122 posts, read 354,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by financelife View Post
Only once have we shopped there. It was at Swarovski, and the purchases we made there were on impulse. Spent $700 on jewelry. Never been back since except to just walk around on two other occasions. We park, walk in, then after reaching the other end, we turn back around and go back to the car telling ouselves 'never again.' Hopefully there won't be a 3rd time. Absolutely no point.
Wow, Interesting. Definitely not how it is viewed in my household. I haven't stepped foot in either Madison Square or Parkway Place since Bridgestreet opened. I eat there about once a week or so usually at either Connor's, Cantina Laredo, PF Changs, Melting Pot. We have been to Dolce twice and Ketchup twice...they were ok, but the other 4 are much better. The theater is outstanding and the Rave is the only other place in town we would even consider going for a movie. The kids love Maggie Moos and that is about a once a month treat. The wife loves Gymboree, Coldwater Creek, Brighton, Strasbourg and I really like Mountain High and B&N. We walk through the Apple store, but "I am a PC". It surprises me that you would say that there is "Absolutely no point."

Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
Wow, Interesting. Definitely not how it is viewed in my household. I haven't stepped foot in either Madison Square or Parkway Place since Bridgestreet opened. I eat there about once a week or so usually at either Connor's, Cantina Laredo, PF Changs, Melting Pot. We have been to Dolce twice and Ketchup twice...they were ok, but the other 4 are much better. The theater is outstanding and the Rave is the only other place in town we would even consider going for a movie. The kids love Maggie Moos and that is about a once a month treat. The wife loves Gymboree, Coldwater Creek, Brighton, Strasbourg and I really like Mountain High and B&N. We walk through the Apple store, but "I am a PC". It surprises me that you would say that there is "Absolutely no point."
Plus the people watching, the merry go round, the free inflatable bouncers, the water shooter things, and the free musical performers.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:36 PM

144 posts, read 277,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
I eat there about once a week or so usually at either Connor's, Cantina Laredo, PF Changs, Melting Pot. We have been to Dolce twice and Ketchup twice...they were ok, but the other 4 are much better. The theater is outstanding and the Rave is the only other place in town we would even consider going for a movie."
I completely agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area