Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It's a cool town
As much as I like Huntsville, and as good as Huntsville has been for me and my family, for some reason I just can't put "cool" or "hip" and "Huntsville" in the same sentence. It's not why I moved to Huntsville. I wasn't looking for "cool". I don't think anybody who is moving to Huntsville is moving for "cool".

Maybe it's the people I work with (and some of my neighbors too). "Cool" doesn't describe them. Better words might be "conservative", "predictable", "stiff", "dry", "conventional", "cautious", "traditional", or "conforming".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
You have to understand once and for all you cannot have it all! Be happy with what you have, and work with what you have.

When my kids want a zoo fix, we go to Nasville, Birmingham, Chattannooga (although a sorryful compared to first two), that should do it for a while.

Aquarium? Done. Chattannooga, Atlanta.

Children's museum? Done, too. Sci-quest, Chattannooga, Birmingham.

Space&Rocket. Hsv has it.

Riverboat? Check. Southern Belle Chattannooga.

State parks and nature reserves. Quite a few around: Cathedral Caverns, Noccalula Falls, Wheeler, Monte Sano, Hays, Green Mtn, Rainbow Mtn.

Art scene? Present.

Circus? yes, it's still coming to town.

Water fun? Point Mallard.

Fishing, hunting? Aplenty.

Shopping and Dining? Upscale, downscale, midscale- got that too.

Movie theaters, Theater theaters? can't say inexistent.

Parks, playgrounds, sports courts and grounds, pools- not too shabby.

(Night) clubs and bars? How many is enough for you?

What else you want that you cannot find within a reasonable driving distance (Atlanta, Brimingham, Nashville)? Oceanview, Smithsonian, Yankees Stadium, Statue of Liberty, Philly Museum of Art, Disneyland, Graceland, Neverland?
As I said you cannot have it all, or at the scale others have it, because Huntsville is not NY, Chicago, LA, Houston, Miami etc.
So stop ruining for the rest of us with daily whining and sense of cultural and entertainment "VOID" you put out there relentlessly. It won't cut, we're happy with what we have which is about enough.

Basically it did, those people made a CHOICE: to leave behind LA, Chicago, Denver and come down and LIVE in BORING Huntsville. -Charles, back me up here. This kid is hopeless.
First of all, I'm not hopeless! I have a dream. Stop trying to put me down all the time! People have different opinions and visions! And you mean to tell me that you rather drive to zoos and other places instead of having them all at your finger tips. Gas is high these days, and the main ones who complain about gas travel to places for fun instead of wanting them 10 miles from your house! Remeber, y'all aren't the only people in Huntsville; other people want fun here just as much as me!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 PM

976 posts, read 2,683,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
As much as I like Huntsville, and as good as Huntsville has been for me and my family, for some reason I just can't put "cool" or "hip" and "Huntsville" in the same sentence. It's not why I moved to Huntsville. I wasn't looking for "cool". I don't think anybody who is moving to Huntsville is moving for "cool".

Maybe it's the people I work with (and some of my neighbors too). "Cool" doesn't describe them. Better words might be "conservative", "predictable", "stiff", "dry", "conventional", "cautious", "traditional", or "conforming".
You hit the nail on the head.
I think the people in Huntsville say things that remind me of that story" The emperors new clothes".
Don't worry about being the best in Alabama "just be" and all the rest will follow.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
You hit the nail on the head.
I think the people in Huntsville say things that remind me of that story" The emperors new clothes".
Don't worry about being the best in Alabama "just be" and all the rest will follow.
What does Huntsville need to become cool and hip!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:04 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
First of all, I'm not hopeless! I have a dream. Stop trying to put me down all the time! People have different opinions and visions! And you mean to tell me that you rather drive to zoos and other places instead of having them all at your finger tips. Gas is high these days, and the main ones who complain about gas travel to places for fun instead of wanting them 10 miles from your house! Remeber, y'all aren't the only people in Huntsville; other people want fun here just as much as me!
your dream is others' nightmare. These are my opinions. You cannot have anything of your big dreams within 10 miles now because of the sprawl!!!
You cannot put a zoo, aquarium, major league stadium, disneyland in downtown Hsv, or anywhere 30 miles around. Besides, I do NOT go to all these places every weekend. I'm sure others neither. So it doesn't make business sense to bring these high-cost to make and maintain things here.
I put you down, You put me down, heck if I care, but I'm a grownup, not a 5yr-old making a scene in a toy store: Mommy, mommy, I want this, and this, and 10 of that, and I want them now, and I want you to pay for all of that. A whupping, that's what he gets along with just one toy.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:30 PM

20 posts, read 33,743 times
Quote:

I would like to say that first off I agree with A&M Bulldawg; I agree with your dream. And for all of you who keep saying Huntsville should remain the same, well sorry it's not going to happen. See at some point if families continue to come to Huntsville ( which is evident since it ranks 15th) the demand for more entertainment and other services will be needed. Lets beat the growth instead struggle with it like so many other backward places in Alabama. Furthermore, why not keep things in this state instead of having to run across the state line to do fun things. For some reason, people in Alabama love to go spend money in other States which only helps the residents of that state. Its time for Alabama residents to stop running to GA, TN, MS and everywhere else for entertainment and "Family Fun!" Lets get some things here and keep them here...Just my opinion, feel free to call me young and hopeless!!!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCnbham View Post
I would like to say that first off I agree with A&M Bulldawg; I agree with your dream. And for all of you who keep saying Huntsville should remain the same, well sorry it's not going to happen. See at some point if families continue to come to Huntsville ( which is evident since it ranks 15th) the demand for more entertainment and other services will be needed. Lets beat the growth instead struggle with it like so many other backward places in Alabama. Furthermore, why not keep things in this state instead of having to run across the state line to do fun things. For some reason, people in Alabama love to go spend money in other States which only helps the residents of that state. Its time for Alabama residents to stop running to GA, TN, MS and everywhere else for entertainment and "Family Fun!" Lets get some things here and keep them here...Just my opinion, feel free to call me young and hopeless!!!!!

Families come here for jobs, not entertainment. No entertainment will entertain them if they don't have a job! Entertainment is secondary to having a secure job. And coming here is their CHOICE. We shouldn't try to build everything for every one's wish. Sure, I would like a Disneyland in Jones Valley, does that mean it'll be done, ever? And (now defunct) Six Flags in Hazel Green. And an aquarium in Lacey's Spring. And by God, I want a Space&Rocket Ctr. to beat Houston's. And I would like historic New Orleans to be relocated to AL, so I don't have to cross state lines. And I would like to hunt moose and fish salmon, and if I'm not asking too much, an Aspen-scale ski-slope and snow and Winter Olympics (I know it can be done-the arabs did it in the hell's heat). Now, that's what I call prime entertainment: things that other have and I am too lazy to drive to to enjoy. Please, let's keep it real(istic) and to scale. - As I asked before: What will happen after BRAC is here? What else, besides government-type jobs, does the area offer for people to still come in droves? - None, as far as manufacturing is faring, tourism-please, this is no coastal CA, FL, NC, tri-state, 200-300 yr-history rich places, gambling LV, healthcare, financial services jobs? Not everybody relocating here will get a job with the government (direct, contract).

Heck, Madison City is now scrambling to raise the funds for a new high-school. And I read here another tax increase is proposed for that. Yeah, keep them coming. More entertainment is what I need now to go with that bitter pill. Be thankful for what you got.

Last edited by friday13; 07-07-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 03:46 PM

You what, friday13 is a great name for you. You have such negative energy. Do you think that's what people said about Houston and Atlanta before they became what they are today? You can't please everyone; we all no that. If alot of people are complaing about the boredom that Huntsville is infamous for, then Huntsville needs to solve that problem. I don't care how much you oppose entertainment in Huntsville, you'll be one of the main ones going to these places. Although people come here for jobs, they still expect more than jobs when they relocate: schools, crime, shopping, roads, entertainment, etc. If this wasn't the case, then the HUntsville Chamber of Commerce wouldn't have entertainment or a "what is there to do" section in its relocation portion of the website. Newcomers want to know about these things. You want to know how I know: it's common sense, and I have family members who want to move to Huntsville and ask me what is there to do in Huntsville.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:19 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Quote:
See I don't know when you guys are being funny! Alot of us complain that Huntsville is boring. People need to "ruin" it and make it a fun place. Huntsville didn't gain 5,000+ people for nothing, besides work and a good lifestyle!
Do you even live in H'ville? Who are the ppl complaining it is boring?

H'ville did gain ppl because of work. You can't 'grow' without jobs and a good lifestyle. H'ville has always relied on the gov't and you never know what will happen in the future when you rely on the gov't for a job. Years ago there was talk of moving Marshall to TX, then you have Redstone, I am sure the folks from VA never thought the base they worked at would be closed.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Although people come here for jobs, they still expect more than jobs when they relocate: schools, crime, shopping, roads, entertainment, etc. If this wasn't the case, then the HUntsville Chamber of Commerce wouldn't have entertainment or a "what is there to do" section in its relocation portion of the website. Newcomers want to know about these things. You want to know how I know: it's common sense, and I have family members who want to move to Huntsville and ask me what is there to do in Huntsville.

yeah, that's a good thread/poll for you to start. By God, that means Charles and HB and others were duped big time when they signed up for transfer here. As if they were promised CO, CA entertainment and big-city amenities and they found a boring, un-cool, un-hip small city. They had a CHOICE: to get a cool good-paying, low cost of living job in a boring city. They now live with that choice, not petitioning the city for more entertainment. Grownups call it PRIORITIES.- yes, the 300 Continental laidoff workers are soaking up the sun at Point Mallard.
Everything will happen when it happens, not NOW, not when and because you want it. You might get your zoo, trader joe and everything you dreamed for hsv in 50 years, be patient. What's next? Bring us big-city entertainment or else! we leave?! Please, grow up.

Here's the deal: why don't you run for Mayor? here how it works: as city leader you get to do all the things you dreamed for Hsv, and pitch the city to private investors and developers (upscale shopping, and whatever else your heart desires).-and your family city council-you need all the yea-sayers as you can get. you have my vote.

Last edited by friday13; 07-07-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area