U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 PM

20,672 posts, read 61,825,112 times

Advertisements

Channel 19 News had a story tonight about a woman by the name of Self, who had a neighbor's tree fall on her roof. When she contacted her insurance company, they blew her off, saying "Sorry, you aren't covered. It was an act of God." The local lumber dealers and Hispanic workers put a roof back on her house, but I cannot believe that an insurance company can get away with not paying a simple claim like that.

I really want to know the name of that company so that it and its actions can be plastered over the world, so that everyone can avoid it. I also want to know what is up with the regulations in this state that something as basic as this can be excluded from a policy.

I advise everyone to READ your policy carefully and make your own determination if it is worth the premium or not. If you are forced to carry insurance because of a mortgage, I suggest that you bring the issue up to your local bank manager as well. Pressure needs to be applied at a state level to correct this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 04:52 AM

26,343 posts, read 88,079,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
make your own determination if it is worth the premium or not.
Besides a a $20K roof (which it seems you are implying people might be able to afford to repair rather than paying premiums) wouldn't homeowner's insurance also cover a lot more expensive things like getting sued if some kid gets hurt on your property? In fact, people (like me) go a lot farther and get $1M umbrella policies (which are actually pretty cheap) just to cover a nasty lawsuit claim.

I'd bet that woman's experience is a big exception, rather than the general practice. I too would love to know the name of that insurance carrier.

Also, maybe it is a very unfortunate technicality due to where the tree was on whose property, the condition of the tree, or the status of weather warnings. (In California, I think insurance companies handle earthquake coverage differently depending on the magnitude of the quake. Similarly, if the weather service issues certain warnings, perhaps that could re-categorize the responsibility of insurance companies - might be in the policy's fine print. I have no idea if this is true, but just coming up with possibilities.)

Old 07-08-2009, 05:57 AM

13,768 posts, read 35,957,410 times
I also saw that report. I too would like to know more about it since a new roof would cost around 2K for a house of 1500 sq ft and the repairs couldn't possibly by more than 2K. What about all those houses that were damaged by trees falling on their homes during the gravity or low wave earlier this year.

Let's face it insurance companies make everything so vague just so they can refuse your claim, other times you just have to go to the right person to get it done.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,686,492 times
Racket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area