Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 PM

93 posts, read 433,763 times

Advertisements

What is the name of the river or waterway that connects Wheeler to Guntersville? Is it easily navigated between the two lakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:03 PM

889 posts, read 2,397,628 times
That would be the Tennessee River. And yes, very easily navigable by say, a bass boat on up to large commercial barges.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
That would be the Tennessee River. And yes, very easily navigable by say, a bass boat on up to large commercial barges.
Thank you. We plan on a visiting the general area, do you know of particular areas for us to look at for real estate on the river between Guntersville and Huntsville?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:26 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Are you looking at real estate on the river or real estate on the river with a boat dock? Docks will be found only above the Dam at Guntersville Lake.

You can get a mountain home with a fantastic view of the river between Guntersville Dam and Huntsville (or Arab on the South side of the river). Also look at Clouds Cove at the confluence of the Flint and Tennessee Rivers.

Further West of Huntsville, you might check out Athens / Wheeler Lake.

Fun fact - you can float down the river to New Orleans (Tenn / Ohio / Mississippi) or Mobile (TennTom).

Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Are you looking at real estate on the river or real estate on the river with a boat dock? Docks will be found only above the Dam at Guntersville Lake.

You can get a mountain home with a fantastic view of the river between Guntersville Dam and Huntsville (or Arab on the South side of the river). Also look at Clouds Cove at the confluence of the Flint and Tennessee Rivers.

Further West of Huntsville, you might check out Athens / Wheeler Lake.

Fun fact - you can float down the river to New Orleans (Tenn / Ohio / Mississippi) or Mobile (TennTom).
To be completely honest, this is what I would like. I realize myself along with a few other million people are probably looking for the same thing and the one with the money will win out, but here goes.

2 to 5 acres, probably within a developed community so that I have close proximity to boat ramp.No need for lake view or water front. Zoned area for good schools for kids to attend and wife to teach. Within a 100 mile radius of affluent neighborhoods for business. Safe area to raise kids and live in peace. We love the water and spend as much time as possible on it or in it.

Other than that we don't require much......

Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
OK, now that you have become more clear, I have some thoughts. 100 miles is WAY too large a distance to drive. You are thinking in terms of Florida flatland. North Alabama is not like that, and the roads are not straight ribbons connecting points, but winding older narrower roads that take time to drive. There are stop signs and stop lights, even on the main corridors. Cut your drive to 40 miles max.. Trust me.

Two to five acres - what do you plan to do with it other than mow it? Is it because you want privacy or a big garden or what? Five acres might be enough for a horse, but in a zoned area, you might not be able to have one. Two acres is plenty for a garden, a play area, storage, and a house. If you wanted agricultural - like keeping chickens or such, you would need to get out of the zoning and start a search at ten acres and up.

Access to boat ramps and lake recreation. Be aware that there is a tremendous amount of seaweed in the lakes. It makes for good fishing, but swimming anywhere isn't a good idea, especially since we do have water moccasins.

Landscaping as a business - if you are planning on running the business out of your home, you have to be especially careful of zoning. In some areas, like historic districts, that will be impossible.

Schools - right now Alabama schools are on tight tight budgets, due to the economy. Don't expect an instant hiring or wages that match what may be available elsewhere. As for kids in schools - they better like sports including football and basketball. Schools in north Alabama are better than in some areas, but a lot of folks send kids to religious schools.

Religion in general - be prepared for culture shock. This is the heart of the Bible belt. It enters into everyday life all the time.

Since you will be coming up, I suggest that you spend at least a couple of days at the lodge at Joe Wheeler State Park as your base of operations, and work east towards Huntsville. Overall, Athens sounds like the place that has a best fit for you, but again, be aware that the zoning can be strict.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Wheeler Lake / Athens provides easy access (less than 20 miles) to high-income Madison.

Guntersville Lake / Guntersville provides easy access (less than 20 miles) to high-income Hampton Cove (East Huntsville).

I don't know of a development that offers 2 to 5 acres with lake access and good schools.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM

10 posts, read 41,507 times
I'd look at Guntersville lake and Wheeler lake to determine if you like them. I thought we wanted to be on Guntersville until I saw all the milfoil and vegetation in there. Great for fishing--not so for water sports. We ended up buying on Wheeler. Smith Lake is very nice too--but a little further from the Huntsville area.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Two to five acres - what do you plan to do with it other than mow it? Is it because you want privacy or a big garden or what? Five acres might be enough for a horse, but in a zoned area, you might not be able to have one. Two acres is plenty for a garden, a play area, storage, and a house. If you wanted agricultural - like keeping chickens or such, you would need to get out of the zoning and start a search at ten acres and up.

I was born and raised in the country with plenty of acreage and like the privacy of it. I realize to get the location I want that I will have to compromise on the amount of acreage. I do not like living elbow to elbow with my neighbors.

Access to boat ramps and lake recreation. Be aware that there is a tremendous amount of seaweed in the lakes. It makes for good fishing, but swimming anywhere isn't a good idea, especially since we do have water moccasins.

That may be an issue, I have dealt with moccasins all of my life, but I do need a swimming hole.

Landscaping as a business - if you are planning on running the business out of your home, you have to be especially careful of zoning. In some areas, like historic districts, that will be impossible.

I understand the need to check zoning, but my business is more like being an electrician. I am an outdoor lighting designer, there will not be alot of material storage or multiple vehicles parked in the yard. But I will certainly look into the restrictions.

Schools - right now Alabama schools are on tight tight budgets, due to the economy. Don't expect an instant hiring or wages that match what may be available elsewhere. As for kids in schools - they better like sports including football and basketball. Schools in north Alabama are better than in some areas, but a lot of folks send kids to religious schools.

I can relate to the budget thing, Florida is chocking the life out of the school systems. My kids love sports, I have a cheer leader, basketball player and football player. Wages are not as much of a concern as her being able to carry over her experience.

Religion in general - be prepared for culture shock. This is the heart of the Bible belt. It enters into everyday life all the time.

I live in an area where there are more churches per square mile than convenience stores.

Since you will be coming up, I suggest that you spend at least a couple of days at the lodge at Joe Wheeler State Park as your base of operations, and work east towards Huntsville. Overall, Athens sounds like the place that has a best fit for you, but again, be aware that the zoning can be strict.
I will put that on my list of things to check out.

Thanks for taking the time to share this information. Just out of curiosity, how far is it from Smith Lake to Madison or Hampton Cove.....time wise?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:09 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURFNSCAPE View Post
Just out of curiosity, how far is it from Smith Lake to Madison or Hampton Cove.....time wise?
Anywhere from an hour to two hours...you have to drive from Smith Lake on those 2-lane roads to either I-65, or up to Decatur, then over to Huntsville, across Huntsville and its mountains to Hampton Cove...Madison is a little closer, maybe 20 to 25 minutes closer.

BTW Wheeler Lake also has millefoil...it's what makes it so attractive to bass and thus bass fishermen. But Wheeler is not as spread out as Guntersville Lake. It's deeper in a lot of places, with the main channel going through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area