Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 05:49 AM

53 posts, read 144,941 times

Advertisements

We are in the process in relocating. We currenty live in MD. I can't see why anybody would live in MD. Everything is soo damn expensive. We
live in a 1500 sq ft. house with .09 of land. $385,000. Just tired of it. haven't came to visit Huntssville area yet, but plan on it soon. My question is how are youth sports? My children love sports. My son (9) play football, lacrosse, and wrestling. He plays for a team that Feed into Dematha High school. which is nationly ranked highschool. Which feeds into U of Maryland. Football is huge hear. Lots of football camps. He also
plays lacrosse which is big here. Not sure that is reaches AL yet. My daughter which is (11) loves to cheer. Play soccer.

My and my wife just want to get away. I never noticed that things are ALOT cheaper in different states. Especially housing. I know work will
be a problem, I own my own painting business. so relocating that might
be hard. What's the diffence, no work here and probably not much there.
My wife is a licensed daycare provider in our home. I know there's alot here but any info on the topic would be great. Just want to make the move before they get to old. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:18 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Alabama and Auburn.. that should just about say it all. College football is HUGE here.

I don't live in H'ville but 25 miles southeast but Little league football, JR high and HS football are well supported in the area. Lacrosse not so much.. I believe someone asked about Lacrosse a while back on here.

I have a friend who has a day care here in her home and she does well with a waiting list. You have to get a state license.

It seems a lot of ppl are updating their homes or so the guy who did work on my house told me. He had more work than he could handle.

You can check out valleymls.com for home prices

Old 07-20-2009, 06:25 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhra120p View Post
He also plays lacrosse which is big here. Not sure that is reaches AL yet.

My daughter which is (11) loves to cheer.
Huntsville Lacrosse Association

The Matrix in Huntsville is really popular and gets girls set up for High School Cheer.

Matrix: All Star Cheerleading

There's also cheer in the city parks.

Huntsville Eastern League Cheer (http://www.hsv-eastern-league.org/content/blogcategory/0/39/ - broken link)

Huntsville High School Cheer

This is pretty impressive. Watch all the HHS girls to a back flip in unison.
(Watch in High Definition by clicking "HQ".)

YouTube - Huntsville High Cheerleaders at UCA North Alabama Regionals

Last edited by Charles; 07-20-2009 at 06:35 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 09:29 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
There are football teams everywhere, at every school, as well as youth leagues.

Wrestling is out there, but it's a little hard to find. For instance, Hartselle High School, in a town of about 12,000 about 30 miles south of Huntsville, has a great wrestling program with several state championships. No other towns in the county do.
Huntsville high schools with wrestling programs are Butler, Buckhorn, Grissom, Huntsville, Johnson and Lee. In Madison, Bob Jones and Sparkman offer it. A little farther away: Athens, Scottsboro, Arab. Three Huntsville High wrestlers have college scholarships. Here's a link: Alabamawrestling.net - Home

Lacrosse is NOT found everywhere...you CAN find it, but it will take some research, and the teams may have to travel a long ways to find another team to play.

You might consider basketball....also VERY popular in Alabama and played by teams from 3 years old to 50+.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:49 PM

53 posts, read 144,941 times
Thank guys, just what I wanted to know(and hear).

Old 07-20-2009, 03:10 PM

144 posts, read 277,933 times
Are there any youth track clubs here?

Old 07-20-2009, 04:03 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai27 View Post
Are there any youth track clubs here?
Outside of school track teams, this is the only one I know of:

Madison Country Youth Running

Old 12-14-2010, 02:33 PM

12 posts, read 33,342 times
Huntsville has a very large lacrosse community as does Birmingham and its a growing sport in the other metro areas of the state. There is a growing group in Prattville/Montgomery and in the Mobile area as well.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
The thread is more than a year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area