Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:01 PM

889 posts, read 2,389,437 times

Advertisements

I was driving down Holmes Ave between Wynn Drive and Sparkman and it occurred to me that they no longer do the Christmas Card Lane thing down there anymore. Anyone else remember when all the houses down that stretch used to decorate their yards with huge light up Christmas cards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 10:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,791,604 times
That pretty-much halted when it became a busy feeder road to Madison Square Mall. The residents there tried everything to keep it a low-traffic road - to no avail.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:35 PM

50 posts, read 114,871 times
I shared this thread with my family - some are in Lawrenceburg, TN and some are in Madison & Decatur. It brings back so many memories.

And right now I'm thinking of Krispy Kreme on Parkway which has been there for as long as I can remember. How I wish we had KK in Boston - I sure could go for a hot glazed right now - lol.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:42 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,157,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieP View Post
IAnd right now I'm thinking of Krispy Kreme on Parkway which has been there for as long as I can remember. How I wish we had KK in Boston - I sure could go for a hot glazed right now - lol.
KK is still there in the same spot...just as busy as always.

My car knows the way there by heart...

Old 12-28-2010, 11:56 AM

928 posts, read 2,711,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieP View Post
I remember when Madison Square opened and everyone thought it was so far out. Its a shame what has become of that mall - it used to be THE place to shop.

And I remember my grandparents driving from Fayetteville to shop at Montgomery Wards.

Great thread!!
Hey....Somebody get me up to speed please. Is Madison Sq Mall out east on Governor's Dr.? It was built after I moved from HSV, I think.
So whats going on with it? When I lived in HSV there was not alot out there, or that may have been the end of civilization. The new airport was way out in the middle of no where, felt like almost in Decator, surrounded by cotton fields.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:22 PM

928 posts, read 2,711,015 times
Default Old SE HSV Tiger's Den Mid 70s

Does anyone recall a game room across from Grissom High?
It was in the plaza were Piggy Wiggy is/was. It was down a corridor, torward the back of the plaza. It was called the Tiger's Den, I think.
I think it had some form of membership you had to join and you could go in and play video games. Also in the center was a sitting, lounging area where all the cool kids would hang out and smoke. I was in middle school at the time and would look in the door when it opened, as the windows were papered over.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:27 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,157,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
Hey....Somebody get me up to speed please. Is Madison Sq Mall out east on Governor's Dr.? It was built after I moved from HSV, I think.
So whats going on with it? When I lived in HSV there was not alot out there, or that may have been the end of civilization. The new airport was way out in the middle of no where, felt like almost in Decator, surrounded by cotton fields.
Madison Square Mall is out west on University, near what is today called Research Park Boulevard.

The new airport isn't as isolated as it once was, with Madison, Huntsville, Athens, and Decatur encroaching up on it. Getting tougher to find any cotton fields around it without going south and west of it.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 10,901 times
Very neat looking at some old pictures from Huntsville, Alabama. How fast the town has grown. One of the things that i enjoy about being a Realtor in Huntsville is watching the town expand.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:42 PM

35 posts, read 101,919 times
10-4 Mike. Realtors and home inspectors get a front seat view of all the changes around here.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,966 times
One special and unique thing about Hunstville Alabama is that it has the only Civic Center in America named after a certified war criminal, Von Braun! He used to play with rockets for Nazi Germany, the V1 and the V2 are still warmly remembered by England! The Jewish and slave laborers might still rememberVon Braun as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area