Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:23 PM

183 posts, read 427,356 times

Advertisements

Lum's on Imperial Drive. Hot dogs cooked in beer. Clam strips. Red and White Building.

Maybe not on Imperial Drive. Jordan Lane, Patton Road. Pick a name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Lum's became Mando's when they closed.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,434 times
Anyone remember 'Albert Pick Motel' on North Pky? How about the original round 'Hardees Restuarant' located in the same parking lot as 'Hornbuckles Records', 'Longs Electronics' and 'Robins Music'. How about 'Trailor Island'? Does anyone remember the 'Tiger Terrel Show', 'Johnny Evans' or 'The Benny Carl Show'? And how 'bout when Benny Carl, sponsored by 'Sinclair Gas' (Sinlair had their station in the front of the parking lot of Haysland Square and later changes to USA gas with the HUGE American flag) had a live broadcast from the 'Haysland Square Shopping Center' on South Parkway, when they were giving out little dinosaurs to all the kids? They made the toys right there on the spot pouring molten plastic in the molds, cooling them, pulling them out and handing them out. This should tell you how long ago I was there, when we moved to Huntsville, we came by plane and landed at the Old Huntsville Airport at Airport Road and the Parkway.
That ought to pick a few brains, have fun!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,434 times
Didn't the mall also have "Woolworths", "Hickory Farms", "Spencers Gift Shop",

Old 09-27-2011, 01:15 PM

183 posts, read 427,356 times
Don't get me started with Joe Rumore and that damnable War Eagle (Golden Eagle Syrup) Syrup out of Birmingham on the radio or Country Boy Eddie.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero8873 View Post
Anyone remember 'Albert Pick Motel' on North Pky? How about the original round 'Hardees Restuarant' located in the same parking lot as 'Hornbuckles Records', 'Longs Electronics' and 'Robins Music'. How about 'Trailor Island'? Does anyone remember the 'Tiger Terrel Show', 'Johnny Evans' or 'The Benny Carl Show'? And how 'bout when Benny Carl, sponsored by 'Sinclair Gas' (Sinlair had their station in the front of the parking lot of Haysland Square and later changes to USA gas with the HUGE American flag) had a live broadcast from the 'Haysland Square Shopping Center' on South Parkway, when they were giving out little dinosaurs to all the kids? They made the toys right there on the spot pouring molten plastic in the molds, cooling them, pulling them out and handing them out. This should tell you how long ago I was there, when we moved to Huntsville, we came by plane and landed at the Old Huntsville Airport at Airport Road and the Parkway.
That ought to pick a few brains, have fun!
OMG I remember all of this. We used to go to Tiger Terrel and The Bennie Carl show. Everyone made a huge deal out of the "biggest" American flag they had ever seen. My dad worked on Traylor Island! I guess this tells you how long ago I lived in Huntsville

Old 04-04-2012, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,474 times
Rib Cellar at the airport too

Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 AM

889 posts, read 2,398,647 times
Myrna Copeland who ran the Pearly Gates health food store for nearly 40 years passed away in December. The place is currently closed for "reorganization." I have been told Ms. Copeland's daughter is selling the place, but haven't been able to confirm. Anybody else have any info?

Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM

11 posts, read 16,979 times
I grew up in west Huntsville back in the early 60s ...we use to walk up 9th ave. past old Bugger Town to Browns store to get a double cola ....hand out until the Center theater opened watch a movie the go to the Rebel Inn for a hamberger ...then spend the rest of the afternoon down at the McCormic Y ...I remember Mr. Terry, Buttermilk Johnson, Mr. Brooks and Jim Pucket ...was a long time ago but it was a lot of fun.

Scott

Last edited by Bamanut; 10-17-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero8873 View Post
Didn't the mall also have "Woolworths", "Hickory Farms", "Spencers Gift Shop",
I do remember the Mall having a "Hickory Farms" store. We would go there on the weekend and buy "Whiskey Sour" hard candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area