Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times

Advertisements

GS is still used and I believe Milton-Frank Stadium was built primarily for high school football.
The last football game I coached there was 1991; the locker rooms were extremely small, the field was in poor condition and the place was really run down. However, during the last few years (I don't remember when exactly) it was renovated. I haven't been in it since then, though. I've wondered what the locker rooms look like now.
It's a pretty neat looking facility from the outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,803 times
It was built for HS football and track.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:34 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
G-S stadium is in use this year for middle school games. I don't know about high school. It was not used last year.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:38 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Seeing this reminded me of one other thing you don't see around Huntsville anymore...people selling "fresh" gulf shrimp and other seafood from the trunks of their cars on the side of the road.
I saw someone selling shrimp on the side of Highway 72 east of Chapman Mt. last week.

Is this a sign of the economic times?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I saw someone selling shrimp on the side of Highway 72 east of Chapman Mt. last week.

Is this a sign of the economic times?

How should I read this? Good or bad times?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:15 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Did you know that the current Huntsville airport is actually the third Huntsville airport?

The site of the original Huntsville Airport is located southwest of the intersection of Whitesburg Drive & Bob Wallace Avenue.

The second airport was just west of Memorial Parkway at Airport Road. The runways and taxiways are still there as is the terminal parking circle. I drove around there the other day and parked about where the old terminal was and thought about guys like Von Braun flying in and out of there. Pretty historical.

Check this out:

Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Alabama, Huntsville area
Too bad the current airport is also the most expensive airport in the nation--thanks to jacking up prices for 68% "business" travelers hurting the 32% of us who want to travel for leisure or fun.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:58 AM

165 posts, read 507,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
Too bad the current airport is also the most expensive airport in the nation--thanks to jacking up prices for 68% "business" travelers hurting the 32% of us who want to travel for leisure or fun.
I'll have to go back and find that study again, because the conclusion doesn't ring true to me. Did the study actually compare fares by fare class and advance purchase rules? Or did they just average all of the fares paid by passengers to a particular destination? Because if they did the latter, Huntsville's numbers are going to be inflated by the number of business passengers here who purchase tickets less than a week in advance, or who always buy fully refundable in case their plans change at the last minute.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:06 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
Default airport fees

it was in the hville times and the stats were posted in the article.... personal experience is the rest of my data...

Old 10-13-2009, 01:16 PM

889 posts, read 2,398,647 times
With dwindling attendance at high school football games in Huntsville, Goldsmith is back in use as a varsity high school football field. It's primarily the home field for Lee and Johnson High Schools. My senior year of football (1990) we played at Milton Frank and Joe Davis. The Joe was a horrible field for football. I'm actually happy to hear Goldsmith is back.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,020 times
There was also a "mall" located at what is now the Huntsville Medical Center on the corner of Governers and the Parkway ... My Grandparents had beauty shops at 3 of the malls here Parkway City, The Mall and the strip mall on South Parkway.... It was a great city to grow up in.... Any on remember Murphy's Mart at Parkway City Mall before the tornado hit it in 1974?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area