Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:48 PM

482 posts, read 991,601 times

Advertisements

Well, I just thought I would inform everyone here that I brought up addresses/latitude/longitude at the MLS meeting yesterday afternoon. We got the motion as well as a 2nd. Two of the opponents to addresses spoke up and made a motion to table my motion. Of course, they got their 2nd as well. The vote was held immediately, and my motion was overwhelmingly tabled. So, I didn't even get a vote. Awesome, right?

Unfortunately, these meetings are only held every 3 months, so the next one is in October. Guess we'll try again then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 04:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Parker View Post
Well, I just thought I would inform everyone here that I brought up addresses/latitude/longitude at the MLS meeting yesterday afternoon. We got the motion as well as a 2nd. Two of the opponents to addresses spoke up and made a motion to table my motion. Of course, they got their 2nd as well. The vote was held immediately, and my motion was overwhelmingly tabled. So, I didn't even get a vote. Awesome, right?

Unfortunately, these meetings are only held every 3 months, so the next one is in October. Guess we'll try again then.
Thanks for trying anyway.

The thing I don't understand is why some MLS districts (Southern California for example) are in favor of it and NAMLS is not. Wouldn't the same economic and business logic and arguments apply to everyone? Also, why would some realtors within the NAMLS be for it and others not?

Old 07-23-2009, 06:33 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,840,078 times
I don't understand either. We just returned from south Florida and addresses are listed there as well as Wisconsin and Georgia where we have lived. what is it over here about listing addresses?

Old 07-23-2009, 08:54 AM

262 posts, read 794,180 times
I hope they realize they are shooting themselves in the foot. More and more people are using the internet for their home search than ever before. That doesn't mean they aren't going to go through a a realtor for the transaction, though. It just means that they are narrowing down their search prior to going to the realtor. Who wants to view 100 homes in person when you can do it online? If I had the address information available in the MLS, I could have saved myself and my realtor loads of time.

Does it disqualify homes prior to them being seen? Sure, but if the address was in a neighborhood I didn't want, looking at it wouldn't change my mind.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:04 PM

956 posts, read 2,502,106 times
Many of us are beating our heads against the wall over this issue. Makes NO sense to us, what so ever! (Obviously, not enough of us care). I get calls everyday from buyers, trying to find an address. I certainly don't mind helping them, however, it would save me time AND cell phone charges if we could just display the addresses, for goodness sake.

I think too many agents believe it gives us the upper hand, by "holding out" this information. When I lived in Nashville, we displayed addresses. My business did not lack because of it. It saved me wasted time.

I appreciate Seth fighting SO hard for us and continually being shot down.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:23 PM

Well, here's the thing. Almost ALL MLS's that I know of display addresses. The last major market that did not was Portland, and I think they decided to allow them some time last year.

Based on the meeting, here's why the major opponents of addresses don't want them shown.

1. It generates a call. They think that they can convert that call into a potential sale.
2. It makes them feel more powerful.
3. They think that the MLS is for our members and who gives a damn about the public. MLS members should be able to do whatever they want with the info.
4. They think it would make them look less important to display addresses.
5. They think it would give listing agents more power.

Boiled down? Ignorance and fear.

"Also, why would some realtors within the NAMLS be for it and others not?"

Some agents have more sense than others....lol. I'm for them, as well as Elizabeth_G because we understand that providing the most amount of information to the public is the best route. It saves everyone's time.

I keep telling everyone that will listen: "**** off your customers for long enough and they will find or develop a better way of doing it."

Old 07-23-2009, 03:26 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,868,905 times
Are the votes publicly available? I absolutely would not choose a Realtor I knew voted against showing the addresses.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:56 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,708,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
Are the votes publicly available? I absolutely would not choose a Realtor I knew voted against showing the addresses.
I second that notion.

All in favor, say Aye.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:08 PM

99 posts, read 253,163 times
Aye!

Old 07-23-2009, 04:43 PM

"Are the votes publicly available? I absolutely would not choose a Realtor I knew voted against showing the addresses."

I could only wish! The vote that I brought up was voted down by a majority of the MLS committee members. Now, you can view a list of the committee members at the Huntsville Association of Realtors website under About HAAR -> HAAR Board. Then, look under NALMLS Officers 2009. You can look and figure that at least 50% of the people on that list decided to table the address motion.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good people on that list that are in favor of addresses. There just weren't enough of them.

The biggest opponent (well, really 2nd) of addresses in our area is also on that list. He has spoken many times against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area