Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 PM

40 posts, read 83,186 times

Advertisements

Any info on the following Home Builders in the Huntsville Area, as I may be looking to build next year.

Jeff Benton Homes

W A Glover Construction Inc.

Nicholas Homes

Westmark Construction Inc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 07:37 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmepilot View Post
Any info on the following Home Builders in the Huntsville Area, as I may be looking to build next year.

Jeff Benton Homes
I have some information.

On the east side of 431 between the Dug Road and Big Cove, on what at one time was a picturesque rustic faded old barn from yesteryear set against luscious green and rural landscape, one developer found a perfect place to hang his ugly banner and ruin an otherwise pretty scene in Huntsville.

Thanks Jeff.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:42 PM

Point taken.

Next? I'm looking for good or bad info, and yes i have time to decide.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,565,315 times
Do not build with a new development at all--check out the huntsville times, WAFF tv. Moderator cut: ..
DO NOT BUILD
BUYER BEWARE

Last edited by Keeper; 09-08-2009 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: removed Jeff benton

Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
Do not build with a new development at all--check out the huntsville times, WAFF tv.
DO NOT BUILD
BUYER BEWARE
A little more info would be nice, i.e link to stories, or other data.

I plan on building in the Hampton Cove area.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-08-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 08:22 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
Even Jeff Benton homes are suspect unless they are in Hampton Cove.
Why are they different in Hampton Cove?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why are they different in Hampton Cove?
HC is already built out and the C&R are set in stone... not so in his other developments. to the OP--read the C&R thread.. and do your research. otherwise, dm me and I will give you direct info off loop.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:44 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,821,151 times
OK I will venture into this. Even though our neighborhood is not built out, we feel that it has a great potential and the developer will be ok. We bought for the beauty and the track record of the developer is good with deep pockets to weather this storm. Our builder is EXCELLENT. does not build huge amounts of homes in the area and is well known. He does custom work type stuff. Every house on our street is different with high end little extras all throughout. Yes we pay for it but it is worth it. We didn't have to go in and add those things which brings up the price anyway. If you want to know more, DM me. Our builder is Barry Phillips and we would highly recommend him with our experience and living in his house for 9 months now. We live in the HC area but not quite technically. Mountains all around us with 1500 acres of green space set aside for the neighborhood and 22 miles of trails on the mountains. Been on all of them.I walk every morning and see turkeys, deer, wildflowers and yet I am only 15 minutes from the shopping areas. Heaven to us!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 AM

Mawoods, the price point for your neighborhood is really high. What are your C&R documents like? Are you SURE your developer won't default like the one in Laurenwood did? How many lots and phases are in your development?

I'm terribly concerned for our city--not so much for my subdivision as there are very few lots left to build on, but for the other, more expensive development my developer is trying to hawk--those families have NO IDEA that they stand in jeopardy of having houses at a much lower price point built in their community. I've read their C&R on the website and it reads exactly like ours (the bylaws are now cleverly woven into the C&R instead of a separate document posted AFTER THE FACT--I wonder? Is that legal?) except there is no option for the HOA to get the declarant to surrender his rights in writing. They will have him as their overlord for 10 years, as I recall.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:04 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,821,151 times
I don't think the price point of the neighborhood is that far off from yours. Yes, there are million dollar homes but there are also BEAUTIFUL very well appointed homes starting in the 400s and I believe that can be the low 400's. We have one across from our "carriage homes" area that is in the high 300s. We found that when we looked at Woodland or our old builder that we used 4 years ago in Madison or Jeff Benton in HC that by the time we added crown molding, etc it was in the up there 400s or up. We couldn't get a gas stove with those either. May have changed now, don't know. Our builder just puts everything in including sound, outside key pad, epoxy garage floor, top of the line windows, appliances,landscaping, irrigation, all those things we would have had to add. Our house actually came out cheaper and nicer than one we seriously considered with your developer. Yes, it is a carriage type home but we were ready for that and even so it is 2200 square feet.

Also, we did break our own rule about the developer not being built out. We looked at his other developements such as Clift's Cove and Heritage Plantation in Madison and they have strong HOAs and I do not believe had any problem. The C & R may say the same things but I guess we looked at his history and how he treated other developments as far as we could research. The HOA of Heritage Plantation seems to be VERY strong and it is not built out at all. As of now, I do not want to take over here because we do not have enough yet. I have been on boards and committees of other very large HOAs and I know it is a huge undertaking. From what I understand from the builders out here, it would NOT be to the developer's benefit to bring in a mass builder. So you can get a reasonable price point house here with a more custom builder. We looked hard and for us we love the vision of the green space. That was very important to us and also it does have good schools if we resale.We were also impressed that the developer built the smaller club house planned and the pool and tennis courts first. Some of the neighborhoods that we looked in last year are still waiting.
There is no perfect situation and it is an individual choice and we took the chance. I will say this - when I have had an issue or question, I have called the CEO and President of the development company directly and have been treated respectfully and they have tried to help in any way. That goes far with us. Same for the builder Barry Phillips. Hey, who knows what will happen but we made our choice and we are happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area