Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 09:04 PM

15 posts, read 36,445 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a two bedroom apartment for under 800 but the ones on the lower end that we have toured have all smelled overwhelmingly musty and mildewy. I'm not sure airing out and febreze will ever get rid of the smell. The upper end ones don't seem to want to let us tour the actual apartment without renting it first. I looked at a house in Five Points and it had the same smell. Is this smell a Alabama humidity thing or just really old apartments? Can anyone recommend an apartment that's not going to stink up all my stuff?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 AM

190 posts, read 411,634 times
I moved from a musty smelling "historic" rental property in Five Points to a new construction apartment at Ashbury Woods. Ashbury has new 2br units for right around $800 I believe. My place doesn't smell except when my workout clothes haven't been washed for a few days, LOL.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:38 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,855,654 times
I think Hampton Falls apts on the Hampton Cove side run about $800 for a 2 BR.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:35 PM

346 posts, read 847,598 times
Asbury Woods is right up the street from where we live. Really nice apts, I've been in one just right after they starting leasing.

When we first moved to HSV, the apartment we lived in smelled and I absolutely hated it. The stitch was so bad that when moved into our house, things actually had a smell from that apartment. Took alot of febreezing, airing out and washing to get it out. Naturally, I'm not going to say the name of the complex here, but whenever I give advice to people moving in the area, it's one I tell people to stay away from, for more than that reason. We had a very bad experience there.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:58 AM

105 posts, read 288,543 times
Where I live they have 2br-1br for about 700-800/mo, and the apartments are remodeled right before you move in....so no weird smell...
Waverly Place at Madison.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:14 PM

23,541 posts, read 69,986,238 times
Mold smells are not good for you. You need to see if there is active mold and if there is, pass on the property. That said, mold can grow quickly if an area is not kept air conditioned or heated and the air is humid. If it is just a musty smell, rent an ionizer, place it in the apartment and run it overnight (without being there) and it will kill the odor and the surface mold.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:12 PM

910 posts, read 2,284,776 times
I wouldn't touch a musty smelling place with a 10-foot pole, it can be BIG trouble. When I moved in the house where I'm "stuck" now I felt some smells I couldn't readily identify but since it was December here in FL I was fine. When May rolled around and the central a/c started working I noticed that my energy levels began to run down, I felt depressed and began having apnea and panic attacks. I'd already had similar problems in a previous apartment where there had been a flood and found a moldy box months later and my life became hell there because my nose was always stuffy (and still is...) so it was hard for me to sleep, sometimes even with a nasal strip.

And my problems are minor compared to others, I joined a Yahoo group called ToxicMoldandWomen and the stories abounded of people who got horribly sick by either moving to a place with "hidden mold" or working in a "sick building". For more information check out these websites:
Mold's Harmful Effects (http://healthandenergy.com/mold%27s_harmful_effects.htm - broken link) Mold Across America - No Hype, Just Facts
The Lakeshore Guardian :: April 2007 :: Our Magnificent Bodies (http://www.lakeshoreguardian.com/_2007/042007/cohoon.php - broken link)

Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 AM

13 posts, read 44,052 times
My friend just moved to Lakeshore Crossing Apartments, which is located on Rime Village Dr. (behind target, marshall, ross, Atlanta bread company, babies R Us, etc. she has a 3/BR 2/FB for $813 per month. I understand the 2/.BRs are in the $700's. The rooms are large, only thing the master bed room is in the front with the bathroom. Might need to ride by at night to check it out. She seems to love it there because of the convience of the shopping area. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area