Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,682,957 times

Advertisements

I missed it last year...one week there was mulch, plants...a week later it seemed like everything had been sold, tossed or stored away.

Don't want to miss the opportunity to grab some greatly discounted perennials, saplings or mulch...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,820,354 times
Hi! The Lowe's near us clears plants out of inventory all during the season. You go in and one day everything is a dollar. They move different groups of plants like that all during the season. If I just happen to be there and something I want looks good and is cheap, I'll grab it. And sometime in the next few weeks they will put fertilizer on sale. Last year in October I got Oscomote granules for 33 cents a container. However, I know that Home Depot does not own their plant section. It is run by an independent company and so I am not sure how they move things now. It is always sort of luck when you go to any of these stores anyway.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:00 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,682,957 times
Thanks, Mawoods!

I need some Osmocote...

I grabbed a bunch of mulch last week...oh, no, that was the beginning of this week? Eh, whenever, just the other day.

I'd ripped apart my swale and expanded the planting beds on either side - well, expanded the mailbox area and made something to match it on the other side of the walkway...yeah, that's what I wanna mean. 'Just in case Ordinance is looking...
Husband immediately freaked, "We live on a hill - EROSION - aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!" so to calm his nerves I bought 5 bags of discounted mulch from HD. (Was going to anyway, but the need for speed was made clear.) Half off, because the bags were ripped open, might not be a full measurement, so I thought. Well, actually I scored and got some rich humus incorrectly packaged or very, very old mulch out of the deal, 'cause what came out of one bag was a BEAUTIFUL black, rich and moist but not moldy compost. All that went on the new gardens, tamped down, happy plants...now I need to border it, a.s.a.p.

I already talked husband in to purchasing things that are end-of-$eason, to be kept alive in-doors or used prior to Winter...so while he is still agreeable I need to find the deals! (Want two very small trees or flowering shrubs for the front in that area, too...)

I have a LOT of stuff to mulch this year, to go over the leaves after they fall (wanted to do that last Autumn but the mulch was not there to buy, see previous)...I had two areas that held on to the blanket and helped make a wonderful compost (and saved some way-out-of-zone plants), but the others blew their goods away, were pretty much bare again by Spring. Trying to keep it all in place.

Also, after the weather cools and the rain hopefully starts again in greater abundance, I'm going to prepare a wide garden path on the North side. Tried pick-axing the sod up but d.a.m.n., the clay won't give me a break. So I need rain to loosen the roots...that'll either be lined and mulched or tamped with crushed gravel come Spring, but I have to get the grass outta there first. As in me. Hubby just laughs and rubs my neck when the day is done.

I am awfully ambitious.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:35 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,820,354 times
Actually, fall is the best time to plant perennials and trees and shrubs. That gives them time to establish roots before winter and get happy in the ground. Have you tried www.walterreeves.com? He is the GA Gardener and it really is the same as here. Any topic you want click on and find the question/answer. He also has a newsletter that you can sign up for. Good info.

I am going to amend my soil AGAIN with worm castings and in spring do the mushroom compost. That with a little good rich mulch and plants are happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area