Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
...or within three miles of 13 other BBQ joints.
The thing about it is I bet it still will be successful anyway. That's all people seem to like here BBQ, buffet places and unauthentic Mexican and Chinese places. Jazz factory went out of business too and I don't care what anybody says Jazz Factory was a special place with unique tasty food that was very reasonable and great service. Ketchup though had major flaws though and had terrible service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM

105 posts, read 289,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Not that I'm a big fan of Ketchup or anything but a BBQ restaurant does not belong in a so called upscale mall.
...unless it is an upscale BBQ joint.

Anywho, these days you toss some gimmicky sauces and some trendy names here and there and you can come up with a chic concept...even for BBQ...

Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 AM

105 posts, read 289,792 times
Baja, Chipotle, Moe's they all suck.
A good restaurant idea to fill that spot: a churrascaria.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:18 AM

8 posts, read 14,656 times
Default From The Dolce Group...

As a matter of full-disclosure, my name is Sam Rubin, and I am the General Manager of Dolce and Ketchup at Bridge Street.

The decision to close Ketchup was a difficult and sad decision but the competition for American dining in this area is very fierce and an offer was made by the developer to purchase the restaurant from us and operate their own concept (while I am not sure of the exact concept, I have been hearing something about an upscale BBQ concept). We reamin optimistic and excited about our presence in Huntsville and are focusing all of our efforts on the continued success of Dolce. We have no plans on closing Dolce and we look forward to continuing our great relationship with Huntsville Diners.

Some of the previous comments that have been made in this post are incorrect. Sure when we first opened we may have been a little to "LA" for the area. We quickly adapted and made changes--such as changing the menu and discontinuing the weekend entertainment. We refocused our energy on getting back to the basics and emphasizing that Ketchup is first and foremost a restaurant.

Comments about $12 sandwiches and $25 entrees are from menus that are over 13 months old. I would encourage everyone who has not been before or has not been in the past 6 months to try Ketchup one more (and perhaps last time). Our lunch menu has a wide selection from wraps, to salads, to sandwiches, and entrees. With the exception of 3 seafood entrees at Lunch that are priced at $12... all other menu items are priced at $10 or less. As far as dinner goes we have two entrees (steaks) priced at $20 and the remaining menu items are priced less than that with an average entree price of $14 - $16. We provide a great value for a large portion and use alot of locally grown products.

The sad part is that while Ketchup is closing we worked closing with so many local farmers, companies, and supported almost every non-profit or charity organization that approached us (which is more than many other restaurants can say). Not only will Huntsville be losing a great restaurant that was unique but also a great contributor to the Huntsville community.

On a separate note, we are not alone. Restaurants and businesses close every day. In the past month several stores have closed at Bridge Street Town Centre. In fact, this weekend will also be the last weekend for Kate Spade--a national chain that is obviously feeling the economic situation as well.

I encourage you all to try Dolce if you have not. Our menu is fresh and exciting and reasonably priced (pastas are $14 - $19 and entrees are $14 - $28).

Feel free to contact me directly or introduce yourself to me when you dine with the next time. I'd love to meet each of you and hope that you have an amazing experience during your next visit.

Regards,
Sam Rubin
General Manager, Dolce & Ketchup
c: 678-644-7553
e: samrubin@dolcegroup.com
w: www.dolcegroup.com

Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInMadison View Post

Anywho, these days you toss some gimmicky sauces and some trendy names here and there and you can come up with a chic concept...even for BBQ...
People are very particular about their BBQ though here, I don't think "fancy" BBQ will go over very well.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
People are very particular about their BBQ though here, I don't think "fancy" BBQ will go over very well.
Didn't realize there are so many ways you can eat a pig.

I would love to have some fresh seafood & vegetable place with reasonable prices.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Yeah and the best BBQ places usually are more hole in the wall type places anyway.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Didn't realize there are so many ways you can eat a pig.

I would love to have some fresh seafood & vegetable place with reasonable prices.
I agree with zenjenn on the other thread...an upscale mediterranean or middle eastern restaurant would be a great addition. A good friend friend of ours where we used to live is Turkish and used to cook some of the most flavorful, healthy meals. Love that style of cooking.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:06 AM

I've probably tried to give Ketchup a chance more than most other people in the Huntsville area. I said before in my posts that the prices and menu had changed significantly since they first opened but it was a little too late at that point everyone was already turned off but their initial impression of Ketchup. The prices had become fairly reasonable after the changes were made so I tried it again my problem at that point was bad service I got every time I came. I'm not sure getting rid of the weekend entertainment was a good idea, that's the one thing this city needs more of, the initial problem was more so the fact that the restaurant opened in Huntsville with the same menu and prices as the Hollywood one not the entertainment. Removing the entertainment made it dull and more like any other Americanized restaurant already in Huntsville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcegroup View Post
As a matter of full-disclosure, my name is Sam Rubin, and I am the General Manager of Dolce and Ketchup at Bridge Street.

The decision to close Ketchup was a difficult and sad decision but the competition for American dining in this area is very fierce and an offer was made by the developer to purchase the restaurant from us and operate their own concept (while I am not sure of the exact concept, I have been hearing something about an upscale BBQ concept). We reamin optimistic and excited about our presence in Huntsville and are focusing all of our efforts on the continued success of Dolce. We have no plans on closing Dolce and we look forward to continuing our great relationship with Huntsville Diners.

Some of the previous comments that have been made in this post are incorrect. Sure when we first opened we may have been a little to "LA" for the area. We quickly adapted and made changes--such as changing the menu and discontinuing the weekend entertainment. We refocused our energy on getting back to the basics and emphasizing that Ketchup is first and foremost a restaurant.

Comments about $12 sandwiches and $25 entrees are from menus that are over 13 months old. I would encourage everyone who has not been before or has not been in the past 6 months to try Ketchup one more (and perhaps last time). Our lunch menu has a wide selection from wraps, to salads, to sandwiches, and entrees. With the exception of 3 seafood entrees at Lunch that are priced at $12... all other menu items are priced at $10 or less. As far as dinner goes we have two entrees (steaks) priced at $20 and the remaining menu items are priced less than that with an average entree price of $14 - $16. We provide a great value for a large portion and use alot of locally grown products.

The sad part is that while Ketchup is closing we worked closing with so many local farmers, companies, and supported almost every non-profit or charity organization that approached us (which is more than many other restaurants can say). Not only will Huntsville be losing a great restaurant that was unique but also a great contributor to the Huntsville community.

On a separate note, we are not alone. Restaurants and businesses close every day. In the past month several stores have closed at Bridge Street Town Centre. In fact, this weekend will also be the last weekend for Kate Spade--a national chain that is obviously feeling the economic situation as well.

I encourage you all to try Dolce if you have not. Our menu is fresh and exciting and reasonably priced (pastas are $14 - $19 and entrees are $14 - $28).

Feel free to contact me directly or introduce yourself to me when you dine with the next time. I'd love to meet each of you and hope that you have an amazing experience during your next visit.

Regards,
Sam Rubin
General Manager, Dolce & Ketchup
c: 678-644-7553
e: samrubin@dolcegroup.com
w: www.dolcegroup.com

Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM

426 posts, read 1,272,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInMadison View Post

Weird to think of "barbecue" and "upscale" being used in the same sentence. Sounds like a marketing ploy to justify high prices. I'm sure rent is not cheap in Bridge Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area