Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 02:57 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
not paying a school tax because one is childless sounds wonderful in theory, but the greatest factor affecting poverty is poor education.
It's not even good in theory. Say the childless don't contribute to schools: They still live in the world that those even further underfunded schools will create. The burden on families with children would increase, likely meaning more time at work and less structure. Income disparity would probably increase as the years go by. What the childless didn't pay up front in contributing to society, they'll pay later for sure... in police, prisons, welfare and additional protections for themselves and their property.

Something people don't realize when they say they don't want to support schools they don't use - those schools are making the future world, and you can be damn sure that world will affect you. Might be a good idea to pay to have it sculpted suitably.

Quote:
Our country's opportunities when utilized by people willing to work hard, despite what the political bobbleheads up north say, is why people still want to immigrate (legally and illegally). But give the current gov't a few more years, or don't overturn the Senate in 2010, and we may be rid of that issue.
That's where you lose me. There are good senators and bad senators... on both sides. The Republicans thought it was a good idea to spend 800 billion (and counting) in Iraq over about 6-7 years.... The Democrats think its a good idea to spend 900bn to 1.3 trillion on Healthcare reform over 10 years. Call it a wash.

Don't think "overturning the Senate in 2010" is some magic bullet to curb spending. Republicans, for all their tax cutting lip service... are plenty happy to spend themselves and generally lack the balls to cut anything *but* taxes. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 03:52 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,118 times
Looks like two gubernatorial races are being watched closely by dems/republicans. Republicans stand a very good chance if winning those mansions.

One of the best republican senators is, I believe, out of Wisconsin. Bohner. He is fiscally conservative and doesn't spend just to spend.

I do hope that he retains his seat in 2010. And a nice check and balance of power would be a great boon to this nation when we have a gov't and president that is spending a lot of money to sell national health insurance (no insurance does not equal care). A more balanced Senate can help curb their appetite to spend spend spend.

Give the gov't a few more years and we won't have all the deductions (which do keep the money in our pockets and allow us to spend more and hopefully drive up the economy). The deductions won't go back to us and won't pay off the debt either. Our children and grandchildren won't be happy.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:32 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn
Wonder who is going to pay for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Your grandkids and my grandkids are.
There, fixed it for you.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:35 PM

53 posts, read 111,879 times
It should be official tomorrow.
Obama To Sign Bill Friday Extending Homebuyers Credit - Real Estate * US * News * Story - CNBC.com (http://www.cnbc.com/id/33673455 - broken link)

Old 11-07-2009, 08:30 AM

956 posts, read 2,500,649 times
Default First time homebuyers tax credit

As you all know by now, it's official A mortgage broker sent me this link with a very easy to understand guideline. Enjoy!

Special Announcement

Old 11-09-2009, 07:57 AM

86 posts, read 234,449 times
I heard a couple months back that they were looking to bump the credit up to $15000. Anyone know if this got voted down or is this still a possibility? I've already bought my house, but hopefully it would be retroactive.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:46 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post
I heard a couple months back that they were looking to bump the credit up to $15000. Anyone know if this got voted down or is this still a possibility? I've already bought my house, but hopefully it would be retroactive.
Heard that too, but that was before the NorthEast elections last week

Old 11-09-2009, 01:08 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,649 times
From what I have heard, the credit will remain $8000.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:29 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,158 times
Quote:
One of the best republican senators is, I believe, out of Wisconsin. Bohner. He is fiscally conservative and doesn't spend just to spend.
Ohio. He's the one that who attacked Dems on the grounds that they were pushing healthcare reform down everyone's throat in a big rush - and that government should be transparent, allowing people sufficient time to read.

Fox News' Greta Van Susteran asked him why Republicans didn't push for the same transparency and time requirements when they were the majority and Bohner actually responded... "Well that was different. It was a different time, Republicans had the majority." lol

Then, when Pelosi came out and said she'd require that the bill be posted online 72 hours prior to a vote - Bohner still complained more time was needed.

Bohner is a pretty typical politician. He's not concerned with policy details - he's interested in what he can play well politically to uphold the ideology.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:19 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,071 times
Bohner and Pelosi - whatever - all the same. Politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area