Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:48 AM

180 posts, read 805,705 times

Advertisements

I called my provider (Bellsouth/AT&T) yesterday and they said my area can not support (range) a 3G or phone card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
I called my provider (Bellsouth/AT&T) yesterday and they said my area can not support (range) a 3G or phone card.
Not sure if this helps, but I vaguely remember seeing a TV commercial that showed that one provider's coverage was significantly greater than the other's. Perhaps looking online for the coverage map of other providers and see if it would make a difference.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:38 AM

205 posts, read 590,058 times
Verizon has much better coverage than AT&T. However, if you don't want to change your provider...your options sound very limited.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:54 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I know several ppl who live around your area and they have cable internet service. Have you checked with the local cable co?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,501 times
We live 5 miles north of somerville on the river. We have Verizon 3G internet access using a USB aircard connected to a Cradlepoint mbr1000 router. The router connects to your home network via ethernet and wireless 802.1 n. We used to tether my verizon phone to the router but purchased the usb modem so we could have internet access when I took my phone to work (not available at home to tether). We have 3 desktop computers connected to the router by ethernet and multiple laptops and ipod touches connected via wireless.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussell01 View Post
We live 5 miles north of somerville on the river. We have Verizon 3G internet access using a USB aircard connected to a Cradlepoint mbr1000 router. The router connects to your home network via ethernet and wireless 802.1 n. We used to tether my verizon phone to the router but purchased the usb modem so we could have internet access when I took my phone to work (not available at home to tether). We have 3 desktop computers connected to the router by ethernet and multiple laptops and ipod touches connected via wireless.
Yep. That's essentially what I posted in post 2 above. I think it is great. In fact, even though I have Comcast High Speed at home (which I am very happy with), "Mr. Internet Addict" here is thinking of picking up unlimited 3G for an extra $45/month. (I used to have it through work for free but they took it away from us.) It's great having high speed internet waiting in doctor's offices, watching kids at roller rinks, the park, or sports practice or kids activities, or riding as a passenger.

The commuter buses from Colorado Springs to Denver have it in the bus so everyone has free wireless on the bus. Why can't all public transportation have that? That would really get me on public transportation.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 AM

74 posts, read 170,931 times
Sorry for thread-necroing, but I wanted to update this thread with some potentially useful information. I am in a similar situation because I want to buy some property in a rural location east of Huntsville, and the only options for internet are satellite or 4g internet. Verizon provides a service called "Homefusion" which is 4g internet from a cell tower; specifically for stationary locations, i.e. homes. It's not as good as cable or DSL, but it's better than satellite internet from what I've read. Check it out.

PS: I don't work for Verizon and I'm not being paid to endorse Verizon's products or services. I'm only providing information for people that are seeking relevant topics.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 707 times
Also to be entirely correct, 3 brothers named Lacy (without the "e") settled it. The post office added the "e". But for the more important part, we are moving into the area soon and wondered what you found was the fastest internet in the area?

Old 09-09-2014, 04:38 PM

266 posts, read 396,904 times
Those of you offering high speed internet using either 3G or LTE, how can you justify the high data usage fees for those plans? Even the unlimited plans, which are very very rare, will start throttling you once you go over a certain limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area