Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,180 times

Advertisements

My new neighborhood was built on former farmland, so we expected an onslaught of mice. I didn't realize the suckers can fit in the weep holes in brick walls.

I've found sites advertising weep hole covers that allow moisture/air through but block pests, but they don't carry them at Lowes or Home Depot (per their websites anyway).

Anyone know who might carry these locally?

Foundation Vents, Roof Vent Covers, Weep Hole Vent Cover (scroll down to weep hole vent cover)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 12:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
I've heard steel wool can be shoved in there. I've also heard that the mice can chew through it. Better than nothing, easy, cheap, probably effective, and probably no aesthetic problems if you shove it in deep enough.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:53 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,669 times
WE sholved steel wool in our weep holes. My husband did it so you can't even tell that it is there. Has been there almost a year and nothing eaten through. We check periodicaly. According to several web sites and the brick and plumbing company, mice don't like it and leave it alone. He also put extra screening that mice won't go through and sealed around it all - did it double in the outside and inside crawlspace wall - in the openings for ventilation in the crawl space. Mice can also get in through that and go up the small space between the brick and the cement block foundation. My husband did such a thorough job that I think he should do it a nd get extra money. Just a joke. He didn't think it was funny. BUT we don't have any mice after the initial visit. We too live in an old former pasture.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Thanks yall, I'll give the steel wool a shot.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 38,983 times
Thanks for the information. I've put the steel wool in the weep holes and hopefully that will work. This may sound like a funny question, but is there any concern that the steel wool will prevent the air from circulating in the wall properly?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:30 AM

Heads up, but the steel wool didn't work this winter. I think they just pulled it out. So I bought some screen material, tucked it in the weep holes and glued it into place with silicone. Air can get in, and nothing else.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
Steel wool rusts and falls apart....it is strands of steel after all. I would think that aluminum window screen would be a better solution. Cut it a little wider than the opening, shape it into a "U" shape and tuck it in and put a little dab of silicone at the top and bottom. You can get rolls of it at hardware stores. Just an FYI, bugs and mice will chew right through vinyl window screen so make sure you use aluminum. Another possibility would be scotch brite pad type of material. You can get various sizes of that material. Just cut it, press it into the crack and a little silicone to hold it in place should fix it up.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 21,957 times
Default steel wool in weep hole

You can use steel wool in a weep hole because it can be shoved in there. Problem is it clogs the hole. Even if you use it sparingly the dust, dirt and debris will plug it up fast. Then you don't have ventilation. Plus mice might pull it out. I found a better option by using stainless steel grills or stainless steel weep hole covers that let the air flow and stop the mice. Mouse in the house and Mice in the walls - Rid-O-Mice this is where I found them. I'm not going the steel wool route.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
I really didn't think about them getting in that way.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:44 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,582 times
https://www.amazon.com/gp/history?ie...gw_p60_d0_clnk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area