Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times

Advertisements

We're not heading to CA this winter break. Looking into the idea of sending some of our kids to some sort of camp here in the area. I am pretty sure the Space and Rocket Center has camp. The thing is, my kids have already attended that several times, including the sleepover one. May still do it as there are several flavors of camp there. Plus they provide bus service in summer, not sure about winter.

Are there others? Sci Quest? Burritt? UAH? Redstone? Sports Camps? (How about a City Data camp?)

I will search online like any good City Data poster would do, but I'm still looking for brainstorming ideas.

I'll update this myself as I get info.

http://www.thelittlegym.com/Villageo...ctivities.aspx

http://www.kidscamps.com/kc_dba/owa/...ame=Huntsville

Last edited by Charles; 11-15-2009 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 11:42 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
Egads, Charles... haven't you been here, like, 1 year? How did you manage to get the kids to the Space Camp "several times" already?

No reason to go all the way to Providence if you want to do the Little Gym. The one in SE Huntsville has camps as well. Could also take the kids to Kidventure and let them run amok being supervised by the employees while you browse City-Data from your laptop (they have wireless!) There are also some holiday activities at the YMCA the kids could get involved in. The YMCA is open every day but Christmas itself.

I think winter break is tougher because there is more of a demand for camp/childcare services on fall break, spring break, and summer break.. more people want to take time off and travel during winter break, especially the week of Christmas itself.

Have you considered taking a more local family trip this year? Gatlinburg, Nashville, Chattanooga?

Old 11-16-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
Egads, Charles... haven't you been here, like, 1 year? How did you manage to get the kids to the Space Camp "several times" already?

No reason to go all the way to Providence if you want to do the Little Gym. The one in SE Huntsville has camps as well. Could also take the kids to Kidventure and let them run amok being supervised by the employees while you browse City-Data from your laptop (they have wireless!) There are also some holiday activities at the YMCA the kids could get involved in. The YMCA is open every day but Christmas itself.

I think winter break is tougher because there is more of a demand for camp/childcare services on fall break, spring break, and summer break.. more people want to take time off and travel during winter break, especially the week of Christmas itself.

Have you considered taking a more local family trip this year? Gatlinburg, Nashville, Chattanooga?
I should have clarified: Several times to the Space Day Camps (Summer 08 and Summer 09, two kids, two weeks each). Overnight one time, though my fifth grader does a daytime version of the Space Camp in a couple weeks with her fifth grade class at school.

Yes, we do the little gym on Carl Jones.
I forgot about the YMCA, will check.
Didn't know about Kidventure, that's good.

Traveling with our kids more then 30 minutes is a major production. Did Chattanooga, got a annual aquarium pass so that's another idea, will probably give Gatlinburg a try.

Thanks, keep em coming.

Last edited by Charles; 11-16-2009 at 07:03 AM..

Old 11-16-2009, 01:47 PM

Got this from the lady at Sci-Quest:

Hi Charles-

As of right now we only offer Spring Break, Summer and Fall Break Camps so we do not have anything during the winter holiday as far as camps go right now. We do have some day classes that will be offered the date below. Other than that we won’t be having any special programs specifically for the holidays.

Not sure what you are looking for (day or evening) but Santa’s Village is an evening event and it opens Nov 27th downtown at Earlyworks Museum. Also, Botanical Gardens has already begun it’s light tour in the evenings. Of course, all the attractions/museums will be open regular hours during the day. You can go to the visitor’s center downtown and get 20% off coupons for all the local attractions

December 19, 2009

No Flakes Like Snow Flakes
Grades K-2
10-11:30a.m.
Fee: $16
It's gift making with a scientific twist. Your child will be surprised at how much science goes into snow! Meteorology, chemistry, and physics will be explored in this program that gives them time to make and wrap holiday gifts for family and friends.

Holiday Origami
Grades 3-5
10a.m.-noon
Fee: $16
Discover how the ancient art of origami can be used to understand math and fractions. Make your own origami ornaments, and help Sci-Quest decorate its tree for the holidays.

Holiday Chemistry
Grades 6-9
10a.m.-noon
Fee: $24
Discover the science behind the season as you make your own snow, warm up in front of red and green fire, and learn how to make the world's smallest Christmas tree. A holly jolly time will be had by all!

Brianna Maharrey
Visitor Services Director
-----------------------------------------------------------
Sci-Quest - Hands-on Science Center
102-D Wynn Drive • Huntsville, AL 35805
Office: 256-837-0606 ext. 223 • Fax: 256-837-4536

www.sci-quest.org

Old 11-16-2009, 01:53 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times
Looks like you only have the 1-day events (or rather couple hours). In that case you can check with the Library too.

Or send the kids to a longer ski camp in Colorado

Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
If you're in Chattanooga, check out Rock City. It's fun for the little 'uns. Ride the Incline, visit the battlefield park atop Lookout Mountain...stay at a hotel with a heated indoor pool. That really wears 'em out so they sleep well!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:31 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
I remember several winter break camps from my childhood here in the deep south. I'll list them. Feel free to check them out.

1. Rake leaves and pine needles camp.
2. Clean out barn and storage room(s) camp.
3. Visit distant family members who smell funny camp.
4. Get up early anyway and do chores camp.
5. Turn off that TV and go outside and play becuase it's 70 degrees out camp.
6. Go get the pipe wrench and aim the antenna north so I can watch Atlanta TV for a while, then move it again so I can watch Columbus TV camp.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I remember several winter break camps from my childhood here in the deep south. I'll list them. Feel free to check them out.

1. Rake leaves and pine needles camp.
2. Clean out barn and storage room(s) camp.
3. Visit distant family members who smell funny camp.
4. Get up early anyway and do chores camp.
5. Turn off that TV and go outside and play becuase it's 70 degrees out camp.
6. Go get the pipe wrench and aim the antenna north so I can watch Atlanta TV for a while, then move it again so I can watch Columbus TV camp.
LMAO... So I start reading thinking I might need these suggestions in couple years time... read no.1 >> I get this must be a joke . Proceed to no.2 and so forth to see how the joke ends. Hilarious, but also true, inexpensive, healthy too.

Can't wait for summer break suggestions: Mow the lawn 2inch short with ruler &scissors camp?

Old 11-17-2009, 03:01 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
No ideas on summer camp. I was locked out of the house and drank water from the hose.

I know it must be hard here with young kids. Aside from NASA/Sci-Quest and church-run activites there does not seem like much to do. We now return to legitimate posts to help out Mr. Charles.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:32 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
No ideas on summer camp. I was locked out of the house and drank water from the hose.
I think you need to talk with my kids!! They really think that I am the only mom in the WORLD that thinks they should be outside once it is above 80 degrees

My kids are spoiled compared to how I grew up, they don't have to drink from the hose(although they do from time to time-because it is fun), but I haven't felt the need to entertain them 24/7...and some days they think I should...we just agree to disagree and I send them outside.

For now, my kids are young enough that they enjoy raking leaves and being outside....see, at least I am supervising...um, I mean entertaining them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area