Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2007, 11:47 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,347,550 times

Advertisements

From the Huntsville Times: "According to Kiplinger Personal Finance's list of the "Best Cities for Every Stage of Your Life," Huntsville is one of five cities ranked as the best for mid-level professionals. The others: Kansas City, Mo.; Boise, Idaho; Portland, Maine; and Fayetteville, N.C."

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletim...640.xml&coll=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 02:23 PM

114 posts, read 600,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
From the Huntsville Times: "According to Kiplinger Personal Finance's list of the "Best Cities for Every Stage of Your Life," Huntsville is one of five cities ranked as the best for mid-level professionals. The others: Kansas City, Mo.; Boise, Idaho; Portland, Maine; and Fayetteville, N.C."
They are right on as far as Huntsville is concerned but I'm not so sure about the other cities listed. Fayetteville, NC?? What a dump. Unless things have changed DRAMATICALLY in the last 10 years, Fayetteville is the armpit of the state, with crime more than twice the national average.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 PM

84 posts, read 440,874 times
Must agree with jetjockey. Was engaged to pilot when he took me through Fayetville. I cried and made him promise to never get stationed there.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:39 PM

8,005 posts, read 10,559,191 times
I sometimes think these places pay someone to get them on these "lists". Why wouldn't they?

Sometimes the places that certain publications catagorize as "best towns, most affordable, best places to retire, etc." don't really seem fit the bill in the catagories in which they are so heavily "touted". I have to wonder if any money changes hands/influences these decision as to which places to put on these "lists" (example: maybe developers or Realltors have influence and pay the magazines to promote their specifie areas?). I'm quite sure there are no laws preventing this. It may very well be considered just another form of "marketing" for a particular place? I hate to be so cynical, but that is just my nature! Some of the towns they pick for some of these quality of life or afordability lists just don't make good sense! Doesn't anyone else notice this?

Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,347,550 times
Somebody designs these surveys, and somebody always has their own prejudices. For example, having a 4-year college usually will greatly increase a town's "liveablility." Now, you and I know that you don't have to have a -year college in town...or even a 2-year college - for a town to be a pleasant place to live. It's just an assumption based on the person who designed the survey. And assumptions are generally wrong.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,481,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I sometimes think these places pay someone to get them on these "lists". Why wouldn't they?

Sometimes the places that certain publications catagorize as "best towns, most affordable, best places to retire, etc." don't really seem fit the bill in the catagories in which they are so heavily "touted". I have to wonder if any money changes hands/influences these decision as to which places to put on these "lists" (example: maybe developers or Realltors have influence and pay the magazines to promote their specifie areas?). I'm quite sure there are no laws preventing this. It may very well be considered just another form of "marketing" for a particular place? I hate to be so cynical, but that is just my nature! Some of the towns they pick for some of these quality of life or afordability lists just don't make good sense! Doesn't anyone else notice this?
All I gotta do is think of Jeff Foxworthy's comedy routine about Rednecks at the Space Center and I just crack up...sorry. I know there's a lot to see in Huntsvillle. But the thing I've wondered about for YEARS is how the State of Kansas got Rand McNally to designate US 56 in SW Kansas as a "scenic route"... I've driven it several times and I haven't seen ANYTHING along it that I'd call scenic... Lived in Boise and it's a GREAT place to retire...if you've got LOTS of money...

Old 05-16-2007, 06:29 AM

346 posts, read 1,774,812 times
No hurt fellings please. Kansas is a place to be from:>)

Old 05-24-2007, 07:19 PM

7 posts, read 31,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletim...640.xml&coll=1

Good to know and quite a relief coz we're relocating there in a few months. Thanks for the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area